Dali Zensor 3 vs Oberon 3

Quincicle

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently considering purchasing a Dali Oberon speaker package: 2 pairs of Oberon 3s, Oberon Vokal Centre, as well as a pair of Oberon on Walls. I currently have a pair of Zensor 3's for my front speakers, as well as the Zensor Vokal centre speaker. My two side surrounds are Technics SB-S16, and the rear surround are Mission M72i. I also have a SVS PB-1000 subwoofer, with all speakers are connected to a Pioneer VSX-LX303 AV Receiver, though I am considering upgrading to an 11 channel receiver to add another two ceiling speakers.

My question is would replacing the Zensor speakers with the Oberons be worthwhile? I most often listen in multi-channel stereo so music is coming out of all the speakers, which is mainly why I am wanting to upgrade the surround speakers. Or would purchasing the on-walls and another pair of Zensor 3s for the rear surround be more sensible?

My room dimensions are 2.5m (W) by 4.5m (L), with my seating position being length ways, closer to the far length wall than to the centre of the room, as I sit at a desk. I feel the on-walls would be a good option as deeper speakers would protrude too far.

Thanks in advance.

Oberon would be sideway move from the Zensor. Think it as refined Zensor version. For more noticeable step up the Opticon range would be ideal (esp. for music listening), but likely out of your budget. If you like the sound you have now then just swap the surround speakers to identical ones to rear (Z3) and then the Oberon On-Walls for surround backs which will be close enough tonally.

You don´t need to buy 11.2 receiver necessarily. Can buy example Denon X3700H and add 2ch poweramp, assign it for 2nd pair overhead channels. Example Iota which has trigger so it will wake up when you open Denon. You should be able to get the X3700H for 1k£ after little chat. If not right now then in few month time surely. Horrible time to buy receiver as the dealers ask more than what they costed when they were announced. They raised 150£ the prices and don`t even have stock. Do not buy anything with list price!

X3700H + Iota = 1000£ + 300£ = 1300£

X6500H = 2300£

SR8015 = 2800£

Last edited:
Oberon would be sideway move from the Zensor. Think it as refined Zensor version. For more noticeable step up the Opticon range would be ideal (esp. for music listening), but likely out of your budget. If you like the sound you have now then just swap the surround speakers to identical ones to rear (Z3) and then the Oberon On-Walls for surround backs which will be close enough tonally.

You don´t need to buy 11.2 receiver necessarily. Can buy example Denon X3700H and add 2ch poweramp, assign it for 2nd pair overhead channels. Example Iota which has trigger so it will wake up when you open Denon. You should be able to get the X3700H for 1k£ after little chat. If not right now then in few month time surely. Horrible time to buy receiver as the dealers ask more than what they costed when they were announced. They raised 150£ the prices and don`t even have stock. Do not buy anything with list price!

X3700H + Iota = 1000£ + 300£ = 1300£

X6500H = 2300£

SR8015 = 2800£
Thanks for the reply, I didn't realise prices were higher for receivers as well! I've been trying to get a new graphics card, but they're much the same.

I'll definitely have a look for the Opticons, more likely the MK1 over the 2, but it still may be a bit out of my budget. The X3700H and 2ch amp seems like a good option as well, quite a bit cheaper than the X6500H you mentioned. Is there any reason you say to assign the 2nd heights to the amp and not say the front speakers?

Thanks for your response!

Thanks for the reply, I didn't realise prices were higher for receivers as well! I've been trying to get a new graphics card, but they're much the same.

I'll definitely have a look for the Opticons, more likely the MK1 over the 2, but it still may be a bit out of my budget. The X3700H and 2ch amp seems like a good option as well, quite a bit cheaper than the X6500H you mentioned. Is there any reason you say to assign the 2nd heights to the amp and not say the front speakers?

Thanks for your response!

I meant X6700H, typo.

The amp is cheap and not specifically powerfull so i think it would be ideal to run those overhead channels.

You can also consider Marantz SR6015 as it´s priced the same as Denon.

Opticons all around will surely cost lot more.

I meant X6700H, typo.

The amp is cheap and not specifically powerfull so i think it would be ideal to run those overhead channels.

You can also consider Marantz SR6015 as it´s priced the same as Denon.

Opticons all around will surely cost lot more.
Thanks for your input, the SR6015 looks good as well. If I remember the posts correctly which I have read previously, Marantz tend to sound better for music?

Do Pioneer / Onkyo have a receiver similar to the Marantz / Denon? I quite like the GUI of my current Pioneer, compared to that of my previous Marantz NR1504, as well as find the network functions to be more reliable, though I am sure that has improved by now. I can't seem to find any other than the VSX-LX504, but that doesn't seem to be listed on any UK sites.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your input, the SR6015 looks good as well. If I remember the posts correctly which I have read previously, Marantz tend to sound better for music?

Do Pioneer / Onkyo have a receiver similar to the Marantz / Denon? I quite like the GUI of my current Pioneer, compared to that of my previous Marantz NR1504, as well as find the network functions to be more reliable, though I am sure that has improved by now. I can't seem to find any other than the VSX-LX504, but that doesn't seem to be listed on any UK sites.

Thanks again.

Yes they will, but likely December/January -22. However it comes with Dirac Live so you need pc/laptop and it gives you lot more options to tweak it so bit of learning curve aswell. But the results can be better. No pricing / availability for UK/Europe yet.

The NR7100 looks to be what I'm after, as long as it supports 7.2.4 which I can't seem to find any details on currently. I think I'll hold off on the receiver for now anyway and wait until stock is less erratic.

Now to decide on speakers, thanks for all your input!

I don't think Oberons would be worse the extra cost over the Zensors.

How about 5 or 7 Opticons rather than 9 or 11 Oberon speakers. Quality over quantity.

Alternatively, a combination of Opticon fronts and rears and Oberon for heights.

Thanks again.
They do but the Onkyo lack Audyssey which gives Denon a real edge

Yes coming but not going to be on models competing with the Denon AVR 2700. The top end models only, more going head to head with NAD I guess.

Wrong. :) NR7100 will be competing with X3700H/SR6015 so it will be coming to 1k products which is going to be game changer! 👌 The RZ-50 is going to cost about same as X4700H if comparing US prices. Both of those models have Dirac so D&M and Yamaha will get tougher competition. Pioneer LX305 should be in the mix aswell. Of course we got to pray they get the UK/EU price right to be competetive. Oh and there will be higher models for Onkyo/Pioneer too which aren´t revealed yet officially.

I found a bundle with the Opticon 2 MK2s and the Denon PMA-800NE for £980, which seemed like quite a good price with the Opticons being £899 themselves and the amp £400. I went ahead and bought it as I'll be after an amp anyway if I do decide to go for 11 channel, but what do people think to that purchase? The amp seems to get good reviews, but would there be better alternatives if I was too sell it? I didn't do much research as the bundle seemed to good to miss in my view!

I also bought a pair of the Oberon on-walls from Peter Tyson on eBay as there was an offer for £60 off.

Thanks.

Poweramp would been better, but as you got it so cheap it was no brainer. There is no trigger in/out for it to awake with your receiver and need some extra work when setting up the levels.

Now you just need to buy more Opticons for multi-channel music listening to have nearly identical speakers all around (5). So Opticon Vokal, Opticon 1 mk2 perhaps for the surround sides. More expensive route but should be step up surely with good receiver.

Wrong. :) NR7100 will be competing with X3700H/SR6015 so it will be coming to 1k products which is going to be game changer! 👌 The RZ-50 is going to cost about same as X4700H if comparing US prices. Both of those models have Dirac so D&M and Yamaha will get tougher competition. Pioneer LX305 should be in the mix aswell. Of course we got to pray they get the UK/EU price right to be competetive. Oh and there will be higher models for Onkyo/Pioneer too which aren´t revealed yet officially.
So in what what is the 3700 suddenly a replacement for the 2700?

The NAD 758 is £1300 with Dirac already which is slightly less than the 4700 at £1500 and the Onkyo TX-RZ50 at maybe £1400-£1600. That leaves the NR7100 mostly like being £1100-£1300. But that is me and you just making up UK prices, the 7100 could just as easily come in at £1700 for all we know.

So certainly interesting and a welcome addition, but certainly not a game changer. NAD owners often feel smug with their modular design and BlueOS.

So what I have said is perfectly correct, with the unknowns what Dirac the Onkyo will have and supplied or not mic etc etc.

Until we get reviews it's hard to say and until we get owners we won't know how stable it is.

So nothing wrong here at all.

So in what what is the 3700 suddenly a replacement for the 2700?

The NAD 758 is £1300 with Dirac already which is slightly less than the 4700 at £1500 and the Onkyo TX-RZ50 at maybe £1400-£1600. That leaves the NR7100 mostly like being £1100-£1300. But that is me and you just making up UK prices, the 7100 could just as easily come in at £1700 for all we know.

So certainly interesting and a welcome addition, but certainly not a game changer. NAD owners often feel smug with their modular design and BlueOS.

So what I have said is perfectly correct, with the unknowns what Dirac the Onkyo will have and supplied or not mic etc etc.

Until we get reviews it's hard to say and until we get owners we won't know how stable it is.

So nothing wrong here at all.

I was talking about X3700/SR6015 for the OP earlier and meant NR7100 will be direct competitor so OP can consider it surely!

The pricing is question mark. Usually Onkyo and Pioneer units works great, they have had long time to test the Dirac Live so we will see. The mic shipped is cheaper one, but even the 5000£ JBL processor doesn´t come with Umik-1 so 100£ extra isn´t much for those who require the most accurate results.

758 V3 is old non hdmi 2.1 unit with cheap amps and some other issues i would steer away from it. Perfect example when manufacturer has made big compromises in the basic design, most money has gone to Dirac license. RZ-50 should be step up seeing Onkyo doesn´t skimp in the amp section.

I was talking about X3700/SR6015 for the OP earlier and meant NR7100 will be direct competitor so OP can consider it surely!

The pricing is question mark. Usually Onkyo and Pioneer units works great, they have had long time to test the Dirac Live so we will see. The mic shipped is cheaper one, but even the 5000£ JBL processor doesn´t come with Umik-1 so 100£ extra isn´t much for those who require the most accurate results.

758 V3 is old non hdmi 2.1 unit with cheap amps and some other issues i would steer away from it. Perfect example when manufacturer has made big compromises in the basic design, most money has gone to Dirac license. RZ-50 should be step up seeing Onkyo doesn´t skimp in the amp section.
All conjecture, Unless you a gamer 2.1 is pointless and thats when it works. No new feature of any great importance has hit the AV world for a good 5 years, many on here would agree the year update model as resulting in devalued kit and lack of update and support. A serious consideration. NAD will I am sure at some point release a HDMI 2.1 board and you be able to upgrade if you deal necessary. I went with ARCAM because they have a longer release cycle and it will hold it's value. Any back to the real world.

The OP could simply buy the Denon 2700 he suggest at the COVID/BRITEX inflated price of £679 if he want to press then button today or the 3700 at around staggering £1100, I bought my 4500 for £700 a few years ago.

All conjecture, Unless you a gamer 2.1 is pointless and thats when it works. No new feature of any great importance has hit the AV world for a good 5 years, many on here would agree the year update model as resulting in devalued kit and lack of update and support. A serious consideration. NAD will I am sure at some point release a HDMI 2.1 board and you be able to upgrade if you deal necessary. I went with ARCAM because they have a longer release cycle and it will hold it's value. Any back to the real world.

The OP could simply buy the Denon 2700 he suggest at the COVID/BRITEX inflated price of £679 if he want to press then button today or the 3700 at around staggering £1100, I bought my 4500 for £700 a few years ago.

2700 is poor choice due to MultEQ XT and no preouts, also the OP needs 11.2 processing. Sadly the prices are horrible atm so best thing is to wait end of year / early next year when better availability and competition will push the prices down again. Imagine the prices are higher vs. when introduced. Crazy! :(

Onkyo RZ-50 has been tested and fully working 40Gbs hdmi 2.1 inputs/outputs, there is video proof. We will see how much it will cost and how many connections NAD/Arcam give with the expensive hdmi board swap. Main thing is that you are getting it so can keep the product longer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom