Question Dali Zensor 3 placement doubts (near walls corner)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by forgetfulfrank, Dec 30, 2016.

1. forgetfulfrank

forgetfulfrank
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I need to buy a set of speakers with the purposes of: 5.0/5.1 home theater and decent music listening with the F L/R speakers.
    My current focus is on choosing Front L/R and Center speakers, the surrounds could be purchased at a later stage. If the F L/R could have decent bass so that i could avoid adding a subwoofer I would consider it a plus.
    My current amp is a Yamaha RX-V581.

When I auditioned the Dali Zensor 3 I fell in love, probably due to the wide soundstage and certainly for their bass, it felt like I could happily do without a subwoofer (when I auditioned subwoofers, probably in very sub-optimal situations, i was not impressed with the overall result). The Z3 however were ideally positioned: on stands, >200 cm (~80") apart and quite far from the back wall (>100 cm ~40"). Now, the reason why I did not buy them yet is that in my place I would not have space to position them like that, they would be on top of my tv stand, ~ 150 cm apart (~ 60", drivers' axis), 15 cm ~6" from the back wall and the right one would end up in a corner.

My tv corner is a ~ 3m x 3.5m area part of a bigger L shaped living around 45 m2 (see attached picture)

Do you think it's a recipe for disappointment? In particular I'm concerned with the corner placement of the right speaker.

Alternative solutions (consider i plan hanging my tv to the wall):

a) [red in the pic] If I could hang them to the wall above 120 cm ~43" (so above a heat radiator, which is always off or low temp) then i could use the full length of the back wall, around 300 cm ~120". Drawbacks: the Z3 seem big for hanging and they would be close to the wall.

b) [blue in the pic] put the left one on a stand or small table, then move tv to the left leaving more space to the right speaker. Drawbacks: they would not be at the same height most likely and the left one would be a bit more forward than the right one due to the heater.

c) get smaller speakers, like
    • Wharfedale Diamond 220 (Could they do without a sub?)
    • Dali Zensor 1
    • Mission LX-2
    • Q Acoustics 3020
    and if necessary add a sub.

Could you please share your thoughts on my original placement solution and alternatives?

Thanks,
    Francesco

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  2. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    You might be better buying front ported speakers for close to a wall. At very least I'd try them with the foam port bungs inserted which should make them perform more like a sealed unit.

If you're heart's set on the Dalis and I can understand why as they're great little speakers then why not use Zensor 3s as front l&r and Zensor 1s for surround l&r.

That way you could audition a pair of Zensor 1 on their own at first and get to hear how they perform in your room and also if you'd be happy to go with them as front l&r too.

3. forgetfulfrank

forgetfulfrank
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello PC1975, indeed i thought of that, would you think that the performance in the room of the Zensor 1s would be indicative of how the 3s would behave?

What do you think of the Wharfedales Diamond 220? They are reported to work well near walls.

4. PC1975

PC1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    The Wharfedales are great too but apparently have a problem in that the circular grilles somewhat muffle the tweeter and really need to be removed to hear them properly. I've heard them and can attest to their quality though.

I would expect the Zensor 3 to behave similarly to the Zensor 1 as they're identical in design albeit with a bigger cabinet.

You can't go wrong with the Dalis imo, provided you can accomodate them. I'm using Zensor 1s as rears with PMC twenty front 3 which are far more expensive. The Dalis do a fine job with surround sound and I only ever listen to music in two channel stereo so don't require expensive surrounds to match the fronts in that regard.

5. forgetfulfrank

forgetfulfrank
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have no doubt about the Z3 capabilities but I do have quite some doubts on accommodating them in my space, not much for the back wall distance, which would fall within manufacturer recommendations but for that corner.

Has anyone experience placing a Zensor 3 in a corner?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

6. Zeesaffa

Zeesaffa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For what it's worth... I recently bought a pair of Tannoy floorstanders (rear ported) and was paranoid before buying them because they weren't going to be ideally positioned. They both sit either side of the fireplace between the chimney breast and furniture cabinets. Probably about 15-20cm clearance around them.

They definitely sound a bit boomy - but only at fairly high volume. I've done the straws in the ports trick and that has helped a little but not totally.

All that said, they still sound incredible! Soundstage is great and I honestly only notice the slight booming at very high volume on certain tracks.

Looking back now - I shouldn't have been concerned before buying the speakers because they are infinitely superior to what I hd previously.

Not sure if that helps in any way :)

Oh, I trialed the Zensor 3s as well. Great speakers! Decided to go with floorstanders instead though.

7. forgetfulfrank

forgetfulfrank
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Zeesaffa, it definitely helps. I did also have a look at some threads where members are showing pics of their setups, we aren't the first ones placing speakers in corners :)

8. forgetfulfrank

forgetfulfrank
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *** warning: initial impressions from limited listening ***

So, I decided to go with the Zensor 3 and I've just received and connected them. So far the impression is good, I don't perceive any obvious shortcoming due to positioning, if I move them closer to the wall i do get a bit more bass but I did not yet spent time to assess the drawbacks, eg: "boominess".

So far I don't yet know if I achieved my goal of being able to do without a subwoofer:
    • certain songs like Bjork's greatest hits have tons of bass, you cannot ask for more
    • the famous "Bass I love you" by Bassotronics instead feels quite light, probably because it would use lower frequencies than what the speakers are able to handle.
    I will update this once:
    • I get the rest of the setup, central and surrounds
    • I do some run in of all the speakers
    Stay tuned :)