Dali Zensor 3 matches

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Dan1972, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Dan1972

Dan1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I had Mission M7 bookshelf speakers matched with a M7C centre and M7DS bipole rears, but recently replaced the fronts with Dali Zensor 3s.

Unfortunately the centre is now a jarring mismatch, so I'm looking for a second hand Dali Zensor Vokal to match them.

Would the M7DS bipoles still be good rears, or would Zensor Picos (or something of a similarly compact size) be better?

Also, would a subwoofer be a worthwhile addition, and if so, what would be a good match?

The room is about 4x6m, rears would have to be wall- mounted. The house isn't well insulated for sound, and unfortunately I do have near neighbours!

Thanks!

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    The Dali Zensor Vokal will be find for the centre as a matching centre speaker. Thee M7DS speakers will also be fine as rear speakers., So I feel upgrading them to the Pico's will be more for aesthetics than performance.

As for a Subwoofer, do you already have one? What AV Receiver are you going to be using too?

3. Dan1972

Dan1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got a Yamaha RX- V440RDS. I haven't had a sub before as the Mission set up had quite a good 'grunt' to it for a small room.

I don't know how much better a newer surround amp would be, as I recently replaced a Sony hi fi amp that cost less than £300 new 17 years ago, and had to spend £600 to hear any improvement.

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    As you are used to a stereo system and one from 17 years ago from Sony will have been reasonable.

The woofer isn't really for stereo although many do use them to compliment the entire frequencies and when done right, the experiences can be astonishing. With movies, the rumbles you experience in the cinema are delivered from the woofer and when you set your surround sound amp up correctly, you will experience bit in your home which will surly put a smile on your face.

A newer surround av amp will give you a range of new features from the latest HDMI sound-tracks. I would suspect that you would still need to spend a little more to bring a similar audio experience. Something like the AVR-X3400H or AVR-X4400H by Denon.

These should deliver something similar to the stereo experience you are also craving for. The woofer would need to be a match in some ways with stop start ability. So spending between 3/5 and 2/3 of the price of the amp on the subwoofer would be fine in order to bring the same stop start abilty

Rel Acoustics, BK and MJ Acoustics are all great and use a two connection system which would enable you to create a larger sound from the front speakers when listening to stereo music via its high level input when using the amp in pure or direct mode ensuring you hear a realist stereo sound. This partnered with those lower frequencies delivered from the LFE when watching movies really will bring your system together.

5. Dan1972

Dan1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the helpful replies.

I recently replaced my Sony QS series stereo amp with a Cambridge Audio CXA60.

When I bought the Yamaha AV receiver I thought I could do away with my old Sony hifi amp, but the Yamaha was nowhere near as good for music, although I have heard that more recent AV receivers are far better in this respect.

I think what I'll do based on the advice received is to get the Dali Vokal centre speaker; add a sub; keep the Mission M7DS rear dipoles, and look at getting a more recent AV receiver when funds allow!

6. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Sadly that same old rule still stands and that's why you'd usually have to spend between 2/3rd's to 3/5th of the value of that stereo amp to gain a similar performance level from an AV Receiver. But looking at it another way, the AV Receiver will do so much more too other than just drive a pair of speakers. So, price wise, AV Receivers are a bargain in comparison.

The other side is it is a little better today that a number of years back where the usual cost of doing something similar was between 3/10th to 1/2 that stereo amp's value to gain a similar 2 channel performance and even then, it still lost something.

As for the speakers, that I feel is the right choice

7. Dan1972

Dan1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Since first posting, I managed to get a Cambridge Audio Minx X201 sub in great condition for £75 on the local classifieds.

I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but it got good reviews, and at that price it'll either do the job or I can sell it on without making a loss.

Just have to get that Zensor Vokal centre at a bargain price now! :)