Rev0Knuckle

Simple question. Which surrounds for 5.1 (eventually 5.1.4) in a room which is rectangular room of 18'3" X 11'5"? The speakers will be placed near to the rear wall but I do have a 40 cm gap from the wall with which to use for placement.

I'm torn between Dali Opticon 1 & 2 and/or Oberon 1 & 3. Part of me would prefer Opticon purely for aesthetics and cohesion in the setup, but given that I'm only talking about surrounds is that necessary and would I be better off with a larger less matched speaker such as the Oberon 3? Currently have the following setup:

Dali Opticon 6 MK2
Dali Opticon Vokal MK2
SVS 1000 Pro
Marantz SR7015

Any thoughts and advice greatly received.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I think it comes down to can you live with the different finish/look. Opticon 1&2 plus the Oberon models use satin dome tweeters and Oberon has some technology from Opticon range. Some members have reported there isn´t that much between them. How big jump the mk2 is now is question mark. I might pull the plug with the Opticon 1 (mk1) as they are on sale for 399£/pair (550£ RRP), so not much more than Oberon 1 and cheaper than Oberon 3. Black and white finish. If the speakers will be fairly close to listener and this is more of lounge type setup the smaller model should be fine.

Rev0Knuckle

Thanks @Gasp3621 It is a lounge type setup and the rear speakers would be approximately 50cm from the main listening position. I am leaning more towards the Opticon 1 modes because of this. However, I just want to make sure things are as best matched as they can be. Pricing is a secondary issue but obviously does come into play as I don't want to spend more unnecessarily.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Gasp3621 It is a lounge type setup and the rear speakers would be approximately 50cm from the main listening position. I am leaning more towards the Opticon 1 modes because of this. However, I just want to make sure things are as best matched as they can be. Pricing is a secondary issue but obviously does come into play as I don't want to spend more unnecessarily.

Well as you said you fancy the same finish/look so you kinda admitted that already and if you save few bucks with Oberon would you then get buyers remorse later on. Probably yes! For many people there is no issue even mixing surround speaker brand as long the speaker is similar quality to LCR. So after saying that you would be MORE than fine with Oberons aswell. But if you want to play safe pick the same finish Opticons (assuming the mk1 finish is similar to your mk2 fronts). Compare the sizes also, in typical living room most women don´t want large speakers at the back of room with stands if you already have those at front. I think purely performance wise Opticon 1 and Oberon 1 would be enough for most people in lounges. Dedicated room then i wouldn`t make any compromises, but the listening volumes are very different too..

Rev0Knuckle

@Gasp3621 This is true, however I am very lucky in that my wife isn't too bothered and trusts my judgement with regards aesthetics/décor. I've managed to source Opticon 1's for a reasonable price (£480) so will probably go with them. Of course I have now started looking at what I could get Opticon 2's for, but as with everything in this hobby you have to draw the line somewhere and I think the 1's are better value given my room and setup!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Gasp3621 This is true, however I am very lucky in that my wife isn't too bothered and trusts my judgement with regards aesthetics/décor. I've managed to source Opticon 1's for a reasonable price (£480) so will probably go with them. Of course I have now started looking at what I could get Opticon 2's for, but as with everything in this hobby you have to draw the line somewhere and I think the 1's are better value given my room and setup!

I linked Opticon 1s in black or white for 399£ (Peter Tyson). AV-online has black for same price!

Rev0Knuckle

I linked Opticon 1s in black or white for 399£ (Peter Tyson). AV-online has black for same price!
I did see that, thank you, and I am very tempted. If only they had the grey grilles and the satin/matt finish I'd have already ordered them.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom