Dali Spektor 2 Versus Monitor Audio Bronze 2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by nowthenav, Apr 3, 2018.

1. nowthenav

nowthenav
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone out there can give me an opinion on the Dali Spektor 2 speakers or the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers. It would be ideal if there were also someone out there who has listened to both and could tell me which they think are better.

Thank you

2. square66

square66
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't heard the Dalis but I am a big fan of Monitor Audio speakers and have a pair of Bronze 2s in front of me at my desk. I mainly listen to them nearfield and can say the clarity and spaciousness of the sound is really quite good. I recently paired them with an active Yamaha subwoofer just to bring that bit more depth and balance to the sound.

What amp do you have? What speakers are you upgrading from? And what's your listening space like?

3. nowthenav

nowthenav
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have nothing so far but I was looking at the Onkyo A9010 amp. Listening space is 14ft x 25ft. Wooden floor.

4. square66

square66
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, I have no real experience with that kind of setup with the Bronzes. All I can suggest personally is a home demo or at least a demo at a store so you can get a feel for what kind of sound you are looking for - whether it be a clear, edging towards bright sound (such that the MA can give) or a warmer, more 'easy-going' sound of other speaker types. If you can listen to both with your own music that would be ideal.

5. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +638
    If you are still looking to at both speakers and you have an Onkyo A-9010, I would say that the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers would be better suited as because they will calm the brightness of the Onkyo to create a more balanced audio experience. Use copper based speaker cable to fully settle the your audio experience

6. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have the monitor audio with marantz amp. They are very good, but if my room was that size I might look at larger or floorstanding speakers

7. nowthenav

nowthenav
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have been and had a listen to lots of speakers paired with the Onkyo A9010. I will comment on three. Please excuse my lack of HiFi jargon in trying to express how they sounded. First, I listened to the Dali Spektor 2. When I saw the size of them (tiny), I wasn't very hopeful. They were shockingly good. I was really surprised by how much volume they were kicking out. They seemed agile and transparent and able to provide a detailed sound. On the downside, I felt that they were ever so slightly lacking in bass, and I say that as someone who despises the tendency that some people have to want bass shaking through their bones. So, we then put on the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers. I had a few tracks that I was listening to repeatedly to compare speakers. One was Katherine Jenkins. With the Bronze 2, she suddenly had a harsh edge to her voice. The speaker was just hitting those high frequencies way too hard and generating a metallic sound. I was very disappointed. I felt like the strength of the Bronze 2 was in the detail and precision of the sound. They also had sufficient bass. However, not only was the high treble too harsh but also I don't think the treble vocal range had enough presence. For me, there was no contest. I put the Spektor 2 back in the system and suddenly Katherine was making me go weak at the knees again. A sweet sound. In the end though, I ended up buying the Dali Zensor 3. They had essentially the same type of sound as the Spektor 2 but they had the bass that was lacking in the Spektor 2. They also seemed to be able to handle higher volumes with ease. But what I really liked about them was how they produced a much more expansive sound. It did not seem to be emanating from two little speakers on stands (as it did with the Spektor 2). The origin of the sound seemed to be from somewhere in the room. It felt like we were on stage with Katherine. That was worth the extra £119 - Haha!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018