Dali Spektor 2 - Speaker Issue or Poor Amp Pairing?

VRange

Novice Member
Hey everyone,

First time poster here and I'm very new to the audio world.

I'm currently building a budget system to hold me over until my lease is up in November as my pair of Sonos Ones aren't doing the trick with all this staying at home nowadays.

My friend loaned me a NAD 316bee amplifier that he's not using until I move. I've purchased a pair of Dali Spektor 2s to pair with it.

The result is terrible to the point where I don't know if I have a faulty Dali speaker of it the amp is the issue. I've now read that the speakers are not the most sensitive and the NAD is not very powerful.

It's hard to describe the issue but one of the speakers excessively rattles more than the other anytime there is any form of bass. There's almost a metal or foil sound coming from it when the bass punches too. I'm no longer a big fan of bass but it's not foreign to me as I used to listen to a lot of hip hop. The speaker rattles so much that the twist on banana plugs on the speaker wires connected to the speaker won't even remain screwed on.
EDIT: I'll add that the bass sounds "scratchy", if that makes any sense.

My question: Is the Amp so underpowered for the speaker that it's affecting the bass ? (In which case I should return them and buy a different set of speakers)

OR, did I get unlucky with a bad speaker and I should just exchange for another set of the same Dali Spektor 2s?

Other details in case it's needed to provide advice:
-Using Fiio D3 DAC dongle for feed sound from TV
-Also using a loaned LP60x TT, which somehow doesn't cause AS big of an issue
-Using Amazon Basics 16 gauge speaker wires
-Have tested the speakers with my Fosi Audio BT10A-S computer desktop amp and it's even worse than with the NAD
-Speakers are a good 40-50cm from the wall

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited:

Onlythesound

Sounds to me like the speakers might be duff, pre-supposing that the amp is working well. Can you try the amp with another set of speakers and/or the speakers with another amp? Maybe your brother could help out.

muljao

Nad amps aren't generally underpowered. They usually give stated power into difficult loads, not many amplifier makes, especially makes that do budget amps also are as conservative about power description.
From your post it sounds like something is faulty

VRange

Novice Member
Appreciate the feedback guys.

I unfortunately don't have another pair of speakers to try it out with so I'll exchange the Dalis and hope that was the issue.

bobel

I own a pair of dali spektor 2 speakers driven by the latest Marantz Melody x. They work fine, not experiencing any of the sort. Are yours under warranty? I'd raise this to your dealer.

Kapkirk

If the speaker connectors are not screwed up tight they will rattle and sound horrible.

FootHealer

Hey everyone,

First time poster here and I'm very new to the audio world.

I'm currently building a budget system to hold me over until my lease is up in November as my pair of Sonos Ones aren't doing the trick with all this staying at home nowadays.

My friend loaned me a NAD 316bee amplifier that he's not using until I move. I've purchased a pair of Dali Spektor 2s to pair with it.

The result is terrible to the point where I don't know if I have a faulty Dali speaker of it the amp is the issue. I've now read that the speakers are not the most sensitive and the NAD is not very powerful.

It's hard to describe the issue but one of the speakers excessively rattles more than the other anytime there is any form of bass. There's almost a metal or foil sound coming from it when the bass punches too. I'm no longer a big fan of bass but it's not foreign to me as I used to listen to a lot of hip hop. The speaker rattles so much that the twist on banana plugs on the speaker wires connected to the speaker won't even remain screwed on.
EDIT: I'll add that the bass sounds "scratchy", if that makes any sense.

My question: Is the Amp so underpowered for the speaker that it's affecting the bass ? (In which case I should return them and buy a different set of speakers)

OR, did I get unlucky with a bad speaker and I should just exchange for another set of the same Dali Spektor 2s?

Other details in case it's needed to provide advice:
-Using Fiio D3 DAC dongle for feed sound from TV
-Also using a loaned LP60x TT, which somehow doesn't cause AS big of an issue
-Using Amazon Basics 16 gauge speaker wires
-Have tested the speakers with my Fosi Audio BT10A-S computer desktop amp and it's even worse than with the NAD
-Speakers are a good 40-50cm from the wall

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Hi,

I had the Dali Spektor 2s for a while powered by a 30w per channel NAD D3020v2 amp. I did not have the issues you are describing. Is the port at the back of the speaker firmly in place (not loose)? Are the speaker cable binding posts firmly tightened? Is the speaker placed on a hard surface without any isolation underneath (might be rattling against the supporting surface)?

If none of these are an issue, then I would assume its the speaker or the amp. If you swap the speakers over, and the same speaker keeps rattling, then its the speaker. If the other speaker starts, then its the amp.

Hope that helps...

gava

I have a pair of Spektor 2's and have used them with low 30W and moderate 80W power amps without any of the issues you are describing.

Sounds to me like they are broken and need to be replaced.

Khazul

Rattling sounds like knackered speaker drive units. I woudl expect however the level of vibration you describe (affecting the banana plugs) would need a huge amount of power pumped into them at low frequency especially to cause such a reaction in those speakers, so maybe there were not knackered before but might be now.

'Scratchy' however sounds like knackered PSU in the amp if you mean distorted - ie I assume it may be clipping and if clipping at modest level I might suspect the PSU voltage to the amp section.

Actually if the amp is also causing the rattling by pumping a huge amount of power into the speaker with bass peaks I have no idea what might have happened.

I might expect one speaker to be broke, but both with one to a lesser extent when new? Unlikely unless maybe they suffered a major impact in transit at exactly the right angle. Maybe that is what happened - dropped from considerable height but landed exactly on the packing box face so no external sign of damage, but it irreversably displaced the drive coils way beyond their intended displacement. Seems unlikely though in a speaker such as that. In a big sub with a really heavy drive unit maybe.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom