Dali Spector (6 om, 83Db) and potentially Rega Brio R ? What about DAC ?

nickson13

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post here. Hope it's all right.

First thing - looking for new amp:
I have Dali Spector 1. I am planning on buying used Rega Brio R.
Dali is said to be 6 ohm speaker with sensivity of 83 Db. Rega is either 4 or 8 ohm.
Would that difference in ohms be an issue ? Is playing with wiring any helpsul if it is an issue ?
Or do you think I should get something else instead as new amp?

Second thing - Reassurance I get high quality sound to the speaker:
Just sold Pioneer A-10AE which sounded worse than my Samsung LCD TV when it came to highs like cymbals.

My source configuration were:
1. £20 DAC from amazon + Optical cable + SmartTV Deezer app
2. Mini Jack to RCA cable connected to Smarphone with Tidal app.
3. TV sound from optical cable

all configuration give me similar impression that TV alone was better with high sounds.
But I would not say DAC was bad as two other sources sounded rather similar.
Nevertheless I am open here for recomendations as maybe all 3 are not the best.

Thanks
Nick

Last edited:
The Brio will drive them, that's not going to be a problem and the Dalis are a respected speaker. The Brio is an amp leaning towards the warm side and that's something that will help with the Dali's top end which I have always thought of as a little too bright.

Here's the problem. The Brio is capable of driving speakers of a higher quality than the Dalis and you may wish to look to more quality with the Brio. Have you thought of the new Rega io?

I thought of Rega IO.
IO has 30W while Brio R has 50. I don't need loudness but I heard those extra watts will make lower volume listening more enjoyable. After all I am after sound quality so if IO is better then I will go for IO.

As Gibbs advises, I would look at a better quality speakers to use with the Brio. I hear the IFI Zen blue Dac is a great performer for the money.

As Gibbs advises, I would look at a better quality speakers to use with the Brio. I hear the IFI Zen blue Dac is a great performer for the money.
Thanks - Speakers are brand new and will stay for some time so the quest is all about right amplifire and source.

Thanks - Speakers are brand new and will stay for some time so the quest is all about right amplifire and source.
In that case, I’d look at the Yamaha AS501. Plenty of power to drive the speakers, digital inputs for TV if you require connection and around £350 is more in balance with this Speakers.

Plenty of power so I get better ? Listenting experience at lowe volumes ? Is that the case ?
Digital Input so I get ? Better sounds than the DAC I already have ?
I am not convinced Yamaha S501 is Better than Rega Brio R or IO based on "more in balance" with the Spekares. I would be keen to understand more about why.

My assumption is Rega Brio R will give me more than Yamaha now and that Rega will still have potential for even better speakers. Kind Reminder we talking Rega Brio R goes for £300 and IO for £380.

Better? I don’t believe there is any such thing in hifi, you either like the sound or you don’t. I’m not trying to convince you the Yamaha is “better”, you asked for alternatives.

Low volume listening largely depends on the sensitivity of the speakers, and that invariably comes at a cost. However, no matter what price and quality of amp or speakers, it’s the speakers that dictate the sound at low levels and they can only do so much when being driven “light”. Perhaps I can suggest headphones for Low level/night listening.

I’m not sure where you are getting your Rega pricing from, but, it seems you have made up your mind on the Rega Brio, it’s a great amplifier and I’m sure you’ll be happy with the sound.

Hifi is about balance. I would suggest to spend a budget of X, 50% speakers, 25% amplifier and 25% source. So speakers of £2k, matched up to an amp of £1k, to a turntable of £1k is balanced. It’s not an exact science, it’s a reasonable rule of thumb and something worth baring in mind.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I thought you were looking at the new Brio. Rega has dropped the R suffix on the new Brio but kept if for the Elex and Elicit. Regas are very good at low volume with the right speakers, I own an Elicit-R and often play at subdued levels. I've not listened to the old Brio just the new one, nor have I listened to the new io. With an 83dB sensitivity you still have to push a fair bit of current into them even at low volume, it's how much detail those speakers can produce at that level, which is hard to say unless you try it.

A more powerful Yamaha, although not as good as the Rega may give you the power to sustain a low volume listening level. This is probably why with 105 watts the Elicit is so good at low levels with my 8 ohm 87dB speakers.

With Rega you are pretty safe with buying used as their lifetime warranty of parts is transferable to a new owner.

If you’re decided on the Brio and it’s an excellent amp, then good dacs are not expensive.

This seems to be the best of the current bunch at a good price.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
@nickson13, I recommend the AS701, AS801 from Yamaha. The only difference between them is that the AS801 has usb output. And both models have sub output. You also have the Yamaha 803ND. An amplifier with streaming. You can connect your network to it etc. The 803ND also has bass management/ build in subwoofer crossover settings. All of the above have build DAC’s also.

The Dali speakers are 6 ohm speakers and is not difficult to drive. Still the sensitivity is on the low side of the spectrum so the volume control on the amplifier need to use more gain to get reasonable volume. Still it depends on your room, sitting position.

Then you have the Rotel 14 MK2 also, and many others to chose from.

It depends what amplifier you want? Do you want Rega which has no digital inputs. Or an amplifier with build in DAC. Some say amplifiers with build in DAC sound better because of shorter signal path, and some not.

Dali’s house sound in my ears are not bright at all, still they they are not treble shy and I do believe that is why so many people don’t get along with the Dali sound. Vocals, bass on Dali speakers are wonderful. Great midbass kick also. So if you like to listen to Dire Strait On Every Street you’re in for a real treat.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom