Dali or Q Acoustics with Denon AVC-X3700H

RetroDaz

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm finally upgrading my home theatre system and have a budget of £3K.
I'm having a lot of lip synch issues with my old Pioneer amp and arc no longer appears to work on it so I'm upgrading to a Denon AVC-X3700H as I'm hoping running my Panasonic DWB through it should alleviate the lip synch issues I've been getting.

I was originally planning to get the Q Acoustics Q3050I 5.1 bundle and some additional speakers to provide the Atmos speakers, but Richer Sounds suggested getting Dali Spektor 6, a Vokal centre speaker, Spektor 2 for the rears, a Dali C8D subwoofer and Dali Alteco C1s for the Atmos would be a far punchier package for the extra cost.

I was just wondering what experience people had with either set of speakers.

Hmm I've just read a What Hi-FI review suggesting the Dali frontspeakers aren't as good as the 3050Is. What would be a good pairing for Atmos if I went with the Qs? A second set of 3010Is?

I listened to the Q Acoustics and the Dali Oberon range and I liked both but personally I loved the Dali's - I'd urge you to move up to the Oberon range - you can afford that and they are better. Oberon 5's for floorstanders, Vokal for centre, and the Oberon 1's should be fine as surrounds. Don't get the Dali subwoofer - often the sub in these bundles is the weak link - I'm sure others here will be more than happy to supply you with a list of suitable alternatives (@Gasp3621 ?)

Monitor Audio always rightly get a mention in this company too and they would definitely be worth a listen (as would all of these if you can - they are all popular brands so try to compare). Also worth suggesting one idea - maybe get the best LCR and sub you can right now and look to build up the rest in time? Having a fully functioning Atmos system from the get-go would be great but Atmos is maybe 5-10% of the overall effect in the content that currently actually supports it. I'm doubtful that it's as big a deal in everyday home audio as certain Marketing Departments would like us to believe.....

Anyway, that aside - give the Oberon's a listen definitely - and look for a sub from a dedicated manufacturer e.g. BK Electronics, SVS......

I listened to the Q Acoustics and the Dali Oberon range and I liked both but personally I loved the Dali's - I'd urge you to move up to the Oberon range - you can afford that and they are better. Oberon 5's for floorstanders, Vokal for centre, and the Oberon 1's should be fine as surrounds. Don't get the Dali subwoofer - often the sub in these bundles is the weak link - I'm sure others here will be more than happy to supply you with a list of suitable alternatives (@Gasp3621 ?)

Monitor Audio always rightly get a mention in this company too and they would definitely be worth a listen (as would all of these if you can - they are all popular brands so try to compare). Also worth suggesting one idea - maybe get the best LCR and sub you can right now and look to build up the rest in time? Having a fully functioning Atmos system from the get-go would be great but Atmos is maybe 5-10% of the overall effect in the content that currently actually supports it. I'm doubtful that it's as big a deal in everyday home audio as certain Marketing Departments would like us to believe.....

Anyway, that aside - give the Oberon's a listen definitely - and look for a sub from a dedicated manufacturer e.g. BK Electronics, SVS......
Thanks for the advice. I do like the sound of the Oberons and they're highly recommended by What HiFi so I can probably stretch to £3.5 if needed. My wife doesn't really understand home cinema so if I don't buy the atmos speakers now she won't understand why I've upgraded, spent all the extra money and I still can't do Atmos.
Going to need to put my LG 65 C8 on a suitable free-standing stand as my cabinet is bowing a bit and I think the extra 7.5kg of the Oberon will kill it.

One of the other benefits of the Dali Oberons is they seem a lot smaller, although the review suggests they're not as punchy as the 3050Is. Decisions, decisions...

The Dali's will surprise you - their size is a bonus for a home listening room - but on paper although they have slightly smaller drivers than the Q Acoustics they can actually dig deeper. They have plenty of punch! You'll be integrating them with a subwoofer anyway so that will be less of a factor for you. Some people have felt that the Dali's generally can sound a little on the bright side (they are not meant to be placed on-axis -i.e. directed at you, which can emphasise the treble) - but I never found that - I thought they were very clear and detailed without sounding harsh at all. But this is why it's important to give them a listen and compare to other speakers - your subjective preference may well be different to mine or any other reviewer, however experienced or knowledgeable they may be. And your own room will make it's mark on that sound too - don't expect them to sound exactly the same in the shop and at home. The X3700H has Audyssey XT 32 room correction software and is an AVR that measures very well so it should help you get the best out of any speakers in your listening room.

And I understand about the Atmos speakers - the Alteco's are as good as any for that use. Try to have them elevated rather than upfiring if possible.....
Going to need to put my LG 65 C8 on a suitable free-standing stand as my cabinet is bowing a bit and I think the extra 7.5kg of the Oberon will kill it.
I had to get a new TV stand AND a bespoke wooden stand to house my centre speaker/AVR so I sympathise :) .......

Good luck with it all!

Monitor Audio silver 200's 7th gen would be on my audition list too. I have the older 6th Gen 300's. They are fabulous speakers imo. Very good for home cinema use too. Size wise they are slim and pack s punch imo. Look lovely in satinvwhite too 😉....

Might be a little over budget though!

Monitor Audio silver 200's 7th gen would be on my audition list too. I have the older 6th Gen 300's. They are fabulous speakers imo. Very good for home cinema use too. Size wise they are slim and pack s punch imo. Look lovely in satinvwhite too 😉....

Might be a little over budget though!
They are a little over budget. Look nice, though.

They are a little over budget. Look nice, though.
Could always see if there's any 6th Gen 200's available still. These have been heavily discounted, following the release of the 7th Gens

I ended up going with the Denon AVC 3700, the Dali Oberon 6 5.1 package and Alteca speakers and the sub was swapped out for a SVS 1000 Pro. Richer Sounds couldn't come anywhere near the price I was offered and suggested I snap it up as it seemed to be at cost to them. Looking forward to trying to install it all at the weekend.

I ended up going with the Denon AVC 3700, the Dali Oberon 6 5.1 package and Alteca speakers and the sub was swapped out for a SVS 1000 Pro. Richer Sounds couldn't come anywhere near the price I was offered and suggested I snap it up as it seemed to be at cost to them. Looking forward to trying to install it all at the weekend.
Any setup questions, feel free to ask the community 👍🏼😃

Any setup questions, feel free to ask the community 👍🏼😃
We're changing our entire room around so the 65 inch LG C8 is going on the wall for the first time ever. I guess the first thing I need is a good wall bracket that will take the 20 KG weight.

We're changing our entire room around so the 65 inch LG C8 is going on the wall for the first time ever. I guess the first thing I need is a good wall bracket that will take the 20 KG weight.
Re wall bracket - I'd recommend getting one that also allows for some degree of tilt for the TV itself. I found when wall mounting my QLED. If flat against the wall, I'd get rainbow reflection of from the pendant light in the room. This was resolved by tilting the TV itself down approx 15 degrees.

Of course you may well not experience this issue, but having a bracket that can tilt if needed, is - imo - better than having a non tilt bracket. Brackets that tilt can also be positioned to allow the TV to sit flush to the wall.

Re wall bracket - I'd recommend getting one that also allows for some degree of tilt for the TV itself. I found when wall mounting my QLED. If flat against the wall, I'd get rainbow reflection of from the pendant light in the room. This was resolved by tilting the TV itself down approx 15 degrees.

Of course you may well not experience this issue, but having a bracket that can tilt if needed, is - imo - better than having a non tilt bracket. Brackets that tilt can also be positioned to allow the TV to sit flush to the wall.
That makes sense, if only to ensure you can get easy access to HDMI ports as well, thanks.

That makes sense, if only to ensure you can get easy access to HDMI ports as well, thanks.
It might also be worth considering getting a double gang socket mounted behind the TV, so you can plug it in (and hide the power cable).

Excellent choice. Similar set up to me. I trialled a few different speakers and loved the Dali's!

I am having an issue that all the TV VESAs say 300 X 200 but my LG C8 65 inch is 200 X 300 (or it's the other way around). Does that make a difference?

I am having an issue that all the TV VESAs say 300 X 200 but my LG C8 65 inch is 200 X 300 (or it's the other way around). Does that make a difference?
Shouldn't do. But to be on the safe side order from somewhere that has a good returns policy (eg Amazon).

Excellent choice. Similar set up to me. I trialled a few different speakers and loved the Dali's!
Yep I've got 4 C1's, I use as atmos heights. Excellent speakers imo - very versatile too.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah. Although that particular one is a "full motion" bracket (ie it tilts, swivels and pulls out - pull tv away from wall if needed).

Depending on where you're mounting the TV, you might only need something like this:

https://amzn.eu/d/bB6xgsC
Better to have full motion and not need it than want it and not have it 👍

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Better to have full motion and not need it than want it and not have it 👍
Yep that's true. Although the full motion brackets (by their very design), tend not to sit as flush to the wall, vs actual flush brackets.

Ultimately, depends how flush you want the TV to the wall though.

Better to have full motion and not need it than want it

Could you maybe tell me how your final setup is working for you? I got the same receiver and am also debating q acoustics vs Dali. I would love to know how your Oberons are performing with the Denon. I mainly use it for movies and some music. Thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom