Dali Opticon 6 vs Kef Q750 or even Opticon 8

Bogdar

Novice Member
Hi, I'm looking to replace my 15yrs old JBL Northridge E60 speakers with something modern. After couple of audiences I made a short list and need some help and to decide as I can't compare models neither at home nor at same shop.
  1. Dali Opticon 6
  2. Kef Q750
  3. Dali Opticon 8, pricey one
Amplifier will come next to match the speakers.
Usual tracks this year are Metallica, Apocalyptica, 2Cellos, Queen, Alice Cooper etc. so I appreciate good resolution in lower mid and whatever necessary to play distorted guitars and cellos well.

My listening area is around 10x15ft and I doubt if Dali Opticon 8 are too big for me and also I cat to put them at most 1ft from the wall. That speakers sounds well for me in sound-treated demo room in the shop. I've measured sound pressure with a phone and all I need is from 67 to 75 dBa SPL.
What could go wrong if I will put such a large speakers in the small room?

In other hand, Q750 and Opticon 6 are even a bit smaller them my current JBL E60 so I don't expect nothing bad in my room but it is really hard to choose among them.
I'm really thinking to flip a coin and appreciate any thoughts and ideas here.

Thank you.

jamiepm

Hi, I'm looking to replace my 15yrs old JBL Northridge E60 speakers with something modern. After couple of audiences I made a short list and need some help and to decide as I can't compare models neither at home nor at same shop.
  1. Dali Opticon 6
  2. Kef Q750
  3. Dali Opticon 8, pricey one
Amplifier will come next to match the speakers.
Usual tracks this year are Metallica, Apocalyptica, 2Cellos, Queen, Alice Cooper etc. so I appreciate good resolution in lower mid and whatever necessary to play distorted guitars and cellos well.

My listening area is around 10x15ft and I doubt if Dali Opticon 8 are too big for me and also I cat to put them at most 1ft from the wall. That speakers sounds well for me in sound-treated demo room in the shop. I've measured sound pressure with a phone and all I need is from 67 to 75 dBa SPL.
What could go wrong if I will put such a large speakers in the small room?

In other hand, Q750 and Opticon 6 are even a bit smaller them my current JBL E60 so I don't expect nothing bad in my room but it is really hard to choose among them.
I'm really thinking to flip a coin and appreciate any thoughts and ideas here.

Thank you.
Hi
I’ve recently bought the 6’s, and have a room a little larger than yours. They easily fill my room to the point the light fittings shake. I’m using a denon avrx3300 bi amped which delivers a great sound.

at the minute you can get a good deal as the new mk2’s have just been released, whereas the 8’s are still pricey in comparison

Bogdar

Novice Member
Well, I had to close this thread a week ago.
I already have Opticon 6 (not mk2) at home, got at discounted price. Folks at shop were so kind to move Opticon 8 out of demo room to the smaller office room with no acoustic treatment and put it very close to the longer wall to simulate my own room somehow. Opticon 8 nearly stopped my heart with bass and I understood I need much larger room and allow plenty of space both from speakers to the wall and from my to the speakers. Not for a condo though.
I've finally choose Opticon 6 over Kef for brighter sound and more details on HF range. My attempts to find and amp in demo rooms for Kef that will make it's sound more bright, like Opticon's failed. However I like them for my music too. It is decent #2 in my list.
There are plenty bass from Opticon 6 in my room. However a distorted guitars were better on Opticon 8 in the demo room, probably due to dedicated mid-range driver.
Now I'm considering something to replace my Denon AVR S650H. It is surely loud enough but I wonder if can get improve sound even more with power amp and streaming preamp like Heos Link HS2 or Bluesound Node 2i.

Paulus474

Novice Member
Dear all, as I am also interested in the Dali Opticon 6’s, would you mind telling me if it is possible to get a satisfying sound by listening to them if they are placed only 2 meters/6.56 feet apart? Thank you!!

Bogdar

Novice Member
My triangle side is 2.3 or 2.4 meters, I think 2 meter should works too. Can put them a close as possible and listen what will changed if you want.
Please, mind the statement while placing: they should not be angled towards the listening position, but be positioned parallel with the rear wall.
You will some free space around and behind speakers - say 20 cm or so. It is not a good idea to forcibly embed them in dense area.

Paulus474

Novice Member
Dear Bogdar, that would be very (!) helpful for me. Space behind speakers can be 27 cm for both. One speaker does not have a side wall, the other one does with a distance of 60 cm. Thanks for your help!!

gibbsy

My attempts to find and amp in demo rooms for Kef that will make it's sound more bright, like Opticon's failed.
You made the right decision. KEFs, apart from the LS50 in my opinion, are not a bright speaker. That is why they can suit so many make of amps. The R Serie speakers have more detail over all and better bass response than the Q Serie and some can inteprete this as being slightly brighter.

Bogdar

Novice Member
Well, I've returned my Opticon 6 back to 220cm position and frankly I like it more, such position give me wider imaginable sound stage. But as you said you have 60cm on one side and no side wall on another it seems you can move speakers just 20cm or 30cm wider if you will find your 200cm position uncomfortable.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom