Question Dali Oberon on wall or M&K M70 on wall

Stumpy72

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for some speaker advice while I plan my home cinema upgrade for my living room. I'm currently running with Ruark speakers, Prologues (L&R) Dialogue (C) and Epilogue's as Rears and REL Stadium 3 sub.
The rears have been mounted very high a few cms from the ceiling (2.4m) right at the back of the room firing across the back wall and the sofa sits on the back wall beneath them.
1. I'm looking to replace the rears and have been considering many on wall possibilities from Artcoustic Diablos to Monitor Audio Soundframe 3's, but seem to be focusing on the Dali Oberon or M&K M70's. most likely due to size.
2. I'm planning to mount them either side of the sofa about 1m high with them firing straight forward, any issues with this ?
3. I will also be adding 2 x ATMOS in ceiling speakers, likely to be the MA C265IDCs or C380IDCs.

I'm concerned with having multiple speakers from different manufacturers, but I'm really happy with the Ruarks and didn't want to replace all the speakers. Any advice on any of the speakers mentioned and how things will marry up for surround sound would be great.

diagram of seating position
1586956603124.png

Birds eye view of room
1586957247104.png

I would recommend the M&K M40T Tripole loudspeakers. These have a small aesthetically pleasing form factor and will give a larger bubble of sound as they are Tripoles. They work exceptionally well when placed to the sides as they will give you direct radiated sound as well as firing it up and down he length of the room. We always try and specify tripoles when designing client cinemas.

They are available in satin black and white.
Also consider the M&K in ceiling IC95’s. Very good speakers too with a directionally pivoting tweeter.

Please free to contact me if you require any further advice.
Regards
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Hi Richard, thanks for your recommendations, I'll take a look and see how the dimensions work out. My little bit of reading suggested Tripoles where not ideally suited for integrating ATMOS with ceiling speakers, and that they can interfere with how the ATMOS sound is being projected for height. Have I mis-understood. This may of been if they were mounted higher on the side walls rather than the rear wall ?

A pleasure.

It is a myth that tripoles don’t work well with Atmos. A Tripole loudspeaker offers direct radiating sound as well as being able to fire sound across and down the length of the room depending on placement at either sides or rears. Embedded objects are placed in the correct locations. Each Tripole acts as three speakers similar to an array.

The majority of the cinemas we build utilise tripoles for surrounds and in some cases even heights.

Our two main cinema demonstrations rooms both have tripoles installed as sides and rears. Each room is over £100k. THX also use M&K S300T tripoles as part of a complete M&K 300 series system in their main reference cinema in California.

Unfortunately due to the current pandemic our showrooms are closed until restrictions are lifted.
Best regards

Rich@

Hi Rich, thanks for the education, if only I had that budget :) I'll give you a call to discuss my living room project, Cheers Shaun.

Hi Rich, thanks for the education, if only I had that budget :) I'll give you a call to discuss my living room project, Cheers Shaun.
Hi Shaun,

please feel free to call anytime. We are currently working remotely Mon-Friday and all products are available for delivery whilst couriers are still operating.
Rich@SeriouslyCinema
[email protected]

Just a follow up to say thanks to Richard at @Seriously Ltd . The advice has been fantastic, not just on speakers but on AVRs, Projectors and tips on how to install and position too, I have a lath and plaster ceiling so not fun getting the IC95 holes cut, but perfectly round due to Richards advice. I'm currently redecorating my living room from the ground up and his advice has been excellent. I bought the M&K IC95's and the M40T's and will no doubt be back for more COVID permitting which has put a hold on getting the room plastered for the time being.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom