Dali Oberon 5 Speaker Cable

So does this mean that you are using bell wire interconnects abs speaker cable then?

@gibbsy stated “speaker cable of the right cross section”, and I would add “of Oxygen Free Copper (OFC)”.

The general consensus on here is that 2.5sq.mm (AWG13) cross section, OFC copper is good for runs up to about 15m which is why the Kabekdireckt and Van Damme Blue or all you need. That’s all the spec you need to know. If you really want to do the calculation (if you search you may find an old post of mine) for resistance, capacitance and induction on that size and length of wire you will find the effect they have on the sound (higher resistance=lower volume, Higher induction = bass roll off, Higher capacitance = treble roll off) they are several orders of magnitude lower that your ears can determine (0.5dB change).

I would also add that it typically the preamp section of any amp that determines the majority of the amp’s sound characteristic assuming the power amp section is working within its specified range.

Last edited:
So does this mean that you are using bell wire interconnects abs speaker cable then?
Fair point. I have 2x 2m, professionally terminated van damme cables. £40. You can see them, so the look mattered. Soundwise, there's no difference between the current cable and my old, 79 strand, from amazon.
Plenty of stories online of bell wire sounding fine in blind tests. Worth a go!

20210504_081732.jpg

@gibbsy stated “speaker cable of the right cross section”, and I would add “of Oxygen Free Copper (OFC)”.

The general consensus on here is that 2.5sq.mm (AWG13) cross section, OFC copper is good for runs up to about 15m which is why the Kabekdireckt and Van Damme Blue or all you need. That’s all the spec you need to know. If you really want to do the calculation (if you search you may find an old post of mine) for resistance, capacitance and induction on that size and length of wire you will find the effect they have on the sound (higher resistance=lower volume, Higher induction = bass roll off, Higher capacitance = treble roll off) they are several orders of magnitude lower that your ears can determine (0.5dB change).

I would also add that it typically the preamp section of any amp that determines the majority of the amp’s sound characteristic assuming the power amp section is working within its specified range.
That’s really informative thank you. It’s quite a complex subject. I should have stated in my post, I require 2 x 3.0 metre lengths. I do actually have 5.1 also, so my next question is this, when you talk about crossover section, what does this mean, and should the cables to my rears be the same as to my Dali’s and the Centre speaker?

It is cross section, not crossover section - i.e. the area of the copper part of the wire when cut through e.g. if you cut the wire and the copper inside has a diameter of 2mm then the cross section will be 3.14sq.mm (pi x radius squared). It's worth noting that speaker wire manufacturers specify their wires differently some state cross section, some state diameter (copper and overall) some use AWG (american version of wire gauge, online conversion tables are available but AWG14 is OK, AW13 better - wires bet bigger the lower the number) so worth digging into the spec to check what you are looking at.

How to calculate what size speaker cable you need - it is awg but look up online and find a convertor to sq mm.

It is cross section, not crossover section - i.e. the area of the copper part of the wire when cut through e.g. if you cut the wire and the copper inside has a diameter of 2mm then the cross section will be 3.14sq.mm (pi x radius squared). It's worth noting that speaker wire manufacturers specify their wires differently some state cross section, some state diameter (copper and overall) some use AWG (american version of wire gauge, online conversion tables are available but AWG14 is OK, AW13 better - wires bet bigger the lower the number) so worth digging into the spec to check what you are looking at.
Thanks Ugg, totally blinded by numbers and maths I am 😂😂 but I have just discovered that the Clearway I am using at present is 14 AWG OFC max run is about 3 metres, so I’m guessing that’s ok 🙈

Nominal impedance of the Oberon 5 is 6 ohms

Impedance of the speakers doesn’t need to be taken into account when choosing speaker cable, it does need to be taken into account when choosing an amp. A low minimum (not nominal unless it is 4 ohms) impedance needs an amp with a strong power supply and high damping factor but sensitivity also needs to be taken into account. Interestingly Dali don’t publish a min impedance for the Oberon 5’s.

Looks like you cable is fine so just sit back and enjoy the music.

Impedance of the speakers doesn’t need to be taken into account when choosing speaker cable, it does need to be taken into account when choosing an amp. A low minimum (not nominal unless it is 4 ohms) impedance needs an amp with a strong power supply and high damping factor but sensitivity also needs to be taken into account. Interestingly Dali don’t publish a min impedance for the Oberon 5’s.

Looks like you cable is fine so just sit back and enjoy the music.
Thanks Ugg, you’ve been a massive help and font of all knowledge. Think I’ll do exactly that and save myself a few hundred notes 🙂

Looks nice, how are you finding the Quad Oberon partnering?
I love it to be honest, think they have a really good synergy. For my ears, a really good balance and just really enjoyable. The Quad isn't a powerhouse (45wpc) but it delivers it really well, certainly enough grunt to make the Dali's sing.

I love it to be honest, think they have a really good synergy. For my ears, a really good balance and just really enjoyable. The Quad isn't a powerhouse (45wpc) but it delivers it really well, certainly enough grunt to make the Dali's sing.
I do love the Oberons, the system delivers a rich wam detailed sound with a great sound stage. Personally I would sacrifice a tiny amount of warmth for a tad more detail. Having said that the bass does not over impose into the mid and treble too much. It certainly loves a good recording, such as Mark Ronson’s Late Night Feelings.

Good old QED 79 Strand, perfectly fine, it's oxygen free and the only tricky thing about it is the tiny ridge on one side to get the phase right.

Hi,

I have a question.

Just bought a pair of Dali Oberon 5 speakers. I have a Onkyo A-9110 amp which is 4 ohm, that I use to power Dali Spektor 2's. But the Dali Oberon 5 speakers are 6 ohm.

Do I need to get a new amp to power the speakers? Thanks

Hi,

I have a question.

Just bought a pair of Dali Oberon 5 speakers. I have a Onkyo A-9110 amp which is 4 ohm, that I use to power Dali Spektor 2's. But the Dali Oberon 5 speakers are 6 ohm.

Do I need to get a new amp to power the speakers? Thanks
No. It just won't be massively powerful at 6 ohms. Will still work fine though. Could you improve it? Yes. Do you have to? No.

Whilst speaker cables and sonic performance is a very subjective and controversial topic, I can only offer my own decision-making experience:I have Oberon 5’s on order with Richer Sounds, to be used in conjunction with a Planar 3/Elys and Brio-R combination .

Whilst awaiting the speakers, I spent the morning in the RS demonstration room auditioning cables as I’m yet to purchase any.

I listened to about a dozen, from £5/metre up to £70/metre.
I preferred the Clearway X cables.
Steff in RS, Cardiff was brilliant: non- pushy, extremely patient and helpful. He wanted me to experience the Epic at £70/metre as a benchmark, as I’ve said, I opted for the Clearway as I liked the sound of them over the others.

I think you have to experience them and not take subjective opinions like mine as Gospel. :)

I'd rather exp money in my wallet for the important things in life like a fine bottle of scotch and a few new cds...

Steff in RS, Cardiff was brilliant: non- pushy, extremely patient and helpful. He wanted me to experience the Epic at £70/metre as a benchmark, as I’ve said, I opted for the Clearway as I liked the sound of them over the others.
He's a salesman, of course he wants you to purchase the more expensive brands. Even in an audition room unless you are doing a double blind test your mind will be able to lean towards those cables that are said to be more expensive. I have to say though that the guys in the Cardiff store have been more than helpful to me in the past.

If you push any dealer hard enough you'll almost always get them to throw in cables as a deal sweetner. My last sweetner was Chord Clearway terminated cables and interconnects. I've never been refused. It's just copper cables dressed up to go to a dance and you'll pay through the nose for the privilege.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom