Dali Oberon 5 Speaker Cable

Trevj007

Standard Member
Good morning all, just after some opinion here. My system is as follows. Audiolab 6000A amp, Musical Fidelity M2s CD player, Rega P1 and Fono stage and Dali Oberon 5’s. Chord Clearway Speaker Cable and Russ Andrews Timbre interconnect. Question is, would it be worthwhile upgrading the Clearway to Kimber 4TC or does anyone have any recommendations at to what cable will suit the Dali’s?

Attachments

• 88F38DE6-BE2B-4E8B-A461-B8DE78BB2DF7.jpeg
    88F38DE6-BE2B-4E8B-A461-B8DE78BB2DF7.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 132

larkone

Distinguished Member
The best upgrade you can make is to use copper cable of the correct x-sectional area for the cable run and impedance of your speakers - oh you are, job done then :smashin:

bogart99

I have a pair of Oberon 5s with MF MS3i and use QED cable 4c doubled up.

Slightly cheaper than what you are considering!
In my opinion spending money on new cable of that price is tantamount to burning your money.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Slightly off topic, nice rack, can you provide info please.

Edit - quick google found it - Z Oak Hi-Fi Cabinet

Last edited:

Trevj007

Standard Member
I have a pair of Oberon 5s with MF MS3i and use QED cable 4c doubled up.

Slightly cheaper than what you are considering!
In my opinion spending money on new cable of that price is tantamount to burning your money.
I know the whole cable debate is very conflicting. I have never really spent more than £13 per metre, however having purchased the Kimber Timbre interconnect, the was quite a noticeable difference to the Chord C line £40. I have always been impressed with the Kimber cables, but £350+ for the length I need is making me baulk a bit. Was just wondering if anyone on here is using it and their thoughts.

acgingersnaps

I know the whole cable debate is very conflicting. I have never really spent more than £13 per metre, however having purchased the Kimber Timbre interconnect, the was quite a noticeable difference to the Chord C line £40. I have always been impressed with the Kimber cables, but £350+ for the length I need is making me baulk a bit. Was just wondering if anyone on here is using it and their thoughts.
Spending nearly £400 on a length of wire is next to madness. Unless there's a problem with the wire, or any terminals, one length of sufficiently thick wire is as good as any other. Every double blind test ever done has confirmed this.
Buy 40 records instead.
Just my 2p.

gibbsy

Absolutely nothing wrong with the wire you already have. I have Chord Clearway and the only reason being that I blagged it when I bought a Rega amp as a deal sweetener. I'd rather spend the money on music.

Trevj007

Standard Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with the wire you already have. I have Chord Clearway and the only reason being that I blagged it when I bought a Rega amp as a deal sweetener. I'd rather spend the money on music.
Which Rega did you buy? And to get the cable as a sweetener was a result!

gibbsy

Which Rega did you buy? And to get the cable as a sweetener was a result!
Elicit-R, several years ago from AudioT. If you don't ask you don't get. I've never been refused either interconnects or cable, obviously depending on how much you spend.

Trevj007

Standard Member
Elicit-R, several years ago from AudioT. If you don't ask you don't get. I've never been refused either interconnects or cable, obviously depending on how much you spend.
Well as I have purchased a Russ Andrews powerblock, yello mains cable and a Timbre interconnect, let’s hope he reads this thread and offers some 4TC up 😉😂😂

gibbsy

Well as I have purchased a Russ Andrews powerblock, yello mains cable and a Timbre interconnect, let’s hope he reads this thread and offers some 4TC up 😉😂😂
Unfortunately he's probably laughing all the way to the bank. That money would have been better spent on upgrading your speakers or the amp, not feeding Russ Andrew's Unicorn.

bogart99

I would say money invested in an interconnect would/should be more value for money in theory.
Have often thought how do some manufacturers sleep at night charging so much for what when it boils down to it is a bit of copper.

bogart99

Spending nearly £400 on a length of wire is next to madness. Unless there's a problem with the wire, or any terminals, one length of sufficiently thick wire is as good as any other. Every double blind test ever done has confirmed this.
Buy 40 records instead.
Just my 2p.
Worth more than 2p I agree entirely.,

bogart99

Not knocking Russ Andrews, well I probably am but a lot of their gear leaves me wondering. Snake oil comes into mind in a lot of cases. For example their oak isolating cones not saying they do not work to a degree but the cost for them is in my mind extortionate. I could be a millionaire if I got my chainsaw out cut down a couple of oak trees I have and make these, now there is a thought. The super router grounding box looks a bargain though only £1199, proverbial p**s take in my view.

Last edited:

Trevj007

Standard Member
Not knocking Russ Andrews, well I probably am but a lot of their gear leaves me wondering. Snake oil comes into mind in a lot of cases. For example their oak isolating cones not saying they do not work to a degree but the cost for them is in my mind extortionate. I could be a millionaire is I got my chainsaw out cut down a couple of oak trees I have and make these, now there is a thought. The super router grounding box looks a bargain though only £1199, proverbial p**s take in my view.
I guess it’s all relative. Prices are high I agree. I do have the 6 way power block and t power kords I have to speak as I hear and, they do being a marked improvement over a 3.99 extension lead. I think that a lot of his gear is end at the high end market, gear that I’ll never have the pleasure of owning. It’s the oldest debate in hifi cables and mains

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

Congratulations. You’ve just ripped yourself off to the tune of how much?

A8509045-62D7-4F0C-A5CA-DDA12A39B656.jpeg

bogart99

I guess it’s all relative. Prices are high I agree. I do have the 6 way power block and t power kords I have to speak as I hear and, they do being a marked improvement over a 3.99 extension lead. I think that a lot of his gear is end at the high end market, gear that I’ll never have the pleasure of owning. It’s the oldest debate in hifi cables and mains
Not disagreeing there this topic will run for ever.

gibbsy

You can look at audio performance starting at the most important.

1 Speakers, the biggest influence.
2 The room that those speakers are in and their position within it.
3 The amp.
4 The source hardware.
5 The quality of the recording.
6 The cross section of the speaker wire (probably more important in surround sound).
7 The quality of the interconnects.
8 Electricity. Yep you need a supply.

acgingersnaps

There's no scientific debate. Double blind testing says that cables don't make a difference. Provide evidence to contrary or spend your money elsewhere.

larkone

Distinguished Member
I need a new pair of trainers anyway 😂
I have a pair of Jeezy trainers made from recycled dielectric from Russ Andrews interconnects and power cables you can have for £1200. They are guaranteed to make you levitate every time you put music on :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors