Dali Oberon 5 or 7 vs Focal Chorus 716 or 726

bbgoat

Novice Member
Comparing sound performance of

Dali Oberon 5 or 7 vs Focal Chorus 716 or 726, which one is better for music and home theater sound?

I was unable to listen to Dali Oberon speakers due to no local dealers. Will have to do online purchase if decided to go for it.

Thanks!

Orobas

That depends on many things before we can look at the answers..

1> your amp and sources
2> room size

Let us know these things and we can begin to run some comparisions

bbgoat

Novice Member
Yet to buy amp. Thinking of Yamaha RX V585 or Denon AVR X2500H for amp.

Source is CD or blu ray discs.

To be located in living room with open space including kitchen area of about 46 sq meter or 500 sq feet space.

Thanks in advance !

Orobas

One of the main issues here is the distinct difference in sound types with the speakers..
The 716 is very aggressive and bottom heavy which means they need to be pulled way out from any walls, prob more so than most speakers. The 726 is again very agressive with the lower end but the main issue with them is they get bright with volume.

The Dalis need power and current... something the Denon doesnt really have. they are 6 ohm speakers and dip to well under 4 ohms.

I have to admit here that out of the 2 AV amps you have chosen, for one i cannot really say much good of that yamaha.. it is one of their poorest efforts with regret and the denon ironically in this case has the edge.

What i will say is both AV's are under 2200 Malaysian Ringitt (£400 sterling) and are in the budget end which i cannot say the say for about with either the focal or the dali.

Realistically the best all rounder with your room space for both music and movies would be the Oberon 5 (for less deeper but tighter bass control) or the big 7's which given the room area.. i think the 7's may be the one .. but you really need an amp with power for both and running an AV amp for music on them.. forget it.. you would need a dedicated stereo amp realistically for them and have something like a Beresford speaker switcher in line so you can flick between the av (if your running surround sound) and the stereo amp.

If you are not intending to run surround speaker package, then that makes choosing an amp much easier but we would need to know budget

Last edited:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The 726 should be forgotten with those amps. They need power to compensate for that dip to 2.9ohm and AVRs of that quality are just not good enough (been there with my Marantz 5010)

I run my 726 with an Arcam A38 which was a £1500 amp in it's day.

bbgoat

Novice Member
One of the main issues here is the distinct difference in sound types with the speakers..
The 716 is very aggressive and bottom heavy which means they need to be pulled way out from any walls, prob more so than most speakers. The 726 is again very agressive with the lower end but the main issue with them is they get bright with volume.

The Dalis need power and current... something the Denon doesnt really have. they are 6 ohm speakers and dip to well under 4 ohms.

I have to admit here that out of the 2 AV amps you have chosen, for one i cannot really say much good of that yamaha.. it is one of their poorest efforts with regret and the denon ironically in this case has the edge.

What i will say is both AV's are under 2200 Malaysian Ringitt (£400 sterling) and are in the budget end which i cannot say the say for about with either the focal or the dali.

Realistically the best all rounder with your room space for both music and movies would be the Oberon 5 (for less deeper but tighter bass control) or the big 7's which given the room area.. i think the 7's may be the one .. but you really need an amp with power for both and running an AV amp for music on them.. forget it.. you would need a dedicated stereo amp realistically for them and have something like a Beresford speaker switcher in line so you can flick between the av (if your running surround sound) and the stereo amp.

If you are not intending to run surround speaker package, then that makes choosing an amp much easier but we would need to know budget
First of all, thanks for the detailed discussion and advice! Really appreciate it!

I am looking at setting up of a 5.1.2 surrond system, but with emphasis on the front speakers for music enjoyment.

So have asked around and looking at either the Focal or Dali speakers.

For Focal speakers, how far out does it have to be moved from the back wall for better sound stage ? 2 or 3 feet ? For Dali is there such a requirement ?

If Focal need to move out by 2 or 3 feet, then have to ignore this already as it will look unnatural in the living room.

Unfortunately prices of Hifi equipments are relatively more expensive in Malaysia. The Denon is more expensive by about 40% than the Yamaha model quoted.

My budget up to about 3700 pound for the amp and 5.1.2 speakers.

Thinking of Dali Oberon 5.1 speakers package with Klipsch CS 18C in ceiling speaker (for Atmos).

Any amp of say below 1k pound you would recommend ?

Thanks again !

bbgoat

Novice Member
The 726 should be forgotten with those amps. They need power to compensate for that dip to 2.9ohm and AVRs of that quality are just not good enough (been there with my Marantz 5010)

I run my 726 with an Arcam A38 which was a £1500 amp in it's day.
Thanks!

So the above 2 amps quoted can drive the 716 ?

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Just for info, i am running some Oberon 5's with a Quad Vena 2 Play (45w Class A/B) and it has no issues driving them. I also have them fairly close to the wall and there is no discernible boom or anything like that which is good, despite them being rear ported. I did also demo the Denon DRA800H which had no issues driving them but that does have about 125W.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Thanks!

So the above 2 amps quoted can drive the 716 ?
Yeah they could drive the 726 as well, just not very well when music is involved.

Orobas

Of the 2 speakers and the room size in question .. it would fall to either the 726 (not with any of those 2 amps but one very carefully chosen) or the dali oberon 7 (again with neither amp but one carefully selected)
The smaller 716 and oberon 5 i think would be pushed a bit to graininess

Hixs

Distinguished Member
For Focal speakers, how far out does it have to be moved from the back wall for better sound stage ? 2 or 3 feet ? For Dali is there such a requirement ?
Mine are 12" from the back wall. You certainly don't want them very far from the wall if you want any sort of bass when running in stereo without a sub.

bbgoat

Novice Member
OK, guys, thanks for the various inputs.

I have decided to go with the Oberon 5 speakers. Amp wise will go with Denon but model not fixed yet. My house renovation still not yet complete. So still has some time to decide on that.

Thanks again !