Dali Oberon 3, 5, 7 vs Opticon 2, 6 mk2 for my room?

pgirardot

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to replace my B&W DM601 S2, paired with a CA AXR100 amp.
I tried yesterday the Oberon 3 vs the Opticon 2 mk2, the Opticon 2 was the clear winner when switching between two (though difficult comparison because the ob3 were louder). I had a mini preview of the Oberon 5 but didn't really focus much as I didn't think i would be interested (because of the 5" speakers).

I was going to buy the Opticon 2 but now realized that because i have a 1 year old child at home, I may favor the floorstanding speakers. In the shop they didn't have the Oberon 7, they probably had the Opticon 6 in another room, i didn't ask.

My room is fairly big, as it's the living, dining and kitchen - a rectangle shape of 40m2, with uneven ceiling up to 3m40, so a fair amount of volume - the room is however split in two. The speakers along with the sofa/living space are however on the longer wall, starting in the middle of the wall, spaced 4 3 meters apart.

The 3 options for the floorstanding are Oberon 5 (small 5" speakers), Oberon 7 (7" speakers) and the Opticon 6 mk2 (6.5"), I don't like too much bass (the Oberon 3 in the shop sounded a bit boomy, but i would question their placement), I am pretty convinced (without hearing them) that the Opticon 6 will be the best - but it's 2K a pair, twice as much as the other models, not sure it's worth it?

I read a lot of reviews of the Oberon 5, saying how amazing they are - question is: would they have enough low end? what are the benefits of having 2 x 5" (vs 1 x 5" for instance which I doubt will bring enough given the size of my room) - the oberon 7 dont cost much more, they are a fair amount bigger though.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello!

I think for the size of room you're looking to fill - I'd possibly rule out the Oberon 5.
We sell a lot of these speakers but tend to find our customers with smaller rooms (say 3.5m x 4.5m) favour this where they want the range of a floor stander but don't want to put too much into the room.

Are they capable little speakers: absolutely! One of my favourite mid-height floor standers which are a little more balanced than the Oberon 3 and I dare say the Oberon 7 too.

For me - I would consider the DALI Opticon 6 MK2 or the Oberon 7 for the fullness of sound in your listening space. The material differences in terms of the Opticon 6 MK2 are:

• much improved cabinet design
  • larger SMC magnets on the 6.5" drivers
  • hybrid dome/ribbon HF module
  • aesthetically more modern

Don't think for a minute that ribbon = harshness. As I say to a number of customers, one of the biggest leaps in performance for me in the DALI range is from Oberon to Opticon. Opticon to Rubicon is much more about refinement with a brilliant cabinet design etc

Bass is overall more controlled, tighter and responsive on the Opticon (as you heard from the Ob3/Opt2 comparison) :)

Below: Ob5, Ob7, Opt6, Rubicon 5, Rubicon 6

Thanks!

1648810262431.png

Dali sound philosophy is musical, detailed speakers. Quite forward midrange, treble vs other manufacturers.

Oberon 5 is the sweet spot in the Oberon range. Oberon 7 is tad muddy in the bass. Oberon 5 is more precise.

I would perhaps add subwoofer with the Oberon 5. Or go for the Opticon 6 MK2.

Dali are fun speakers.

thanks a lot for the replies:
  • I am not surprised about the Opticon 6, would the mk1 be similar? just price wise the pill is easier to swallow
  • I actually stand corrected, the speakers are only 3 meter apart (mid to mid) (see a fairly distorted picture of the messy living room / everything room these days)
  • I am indeed nervous about the Oberon 7, i fear the bass will be a problem
- i don't have much space to get the speakers away from the wall, maybe would bring more bass to the ob5?
  • i know nothing about subwoofers, i wouldnt know where to start, but maybe that's a good idea
  • maybe i should stick to the opticon 2, less invasive and then need to find a way to protect the stands from the kid

thanks a lot

Attachments

• IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 469
i pulled the trigger and ordered the 2, i think it's the best for price/quality and will be less invasive. thx a lot for the advice

i pulled the trigger and ordered the 2, i think it's the best for price/quality and will be less invasive. thx a lot for the advice
Book shelves speakers?

@Helix Hifi - yes the opticon 2 mk2, i feel the oberon wont be an upgrade vs my B&W, and i find the price gap to get to floorstanding too big (over twice the price), let's see if i like them as much as home as in the shop..

@pgirardot - Looking at the Opticons to replace B&W myself not demoed as yet, busy at work, so will be keen to hear your thoughts.

What’s the rest of your kit ?

hi @Ascotbilly - which model do you have? mine are from 2000, and i heard the sound signature of the B&W have changed. I really LOVE mine, the one thing I would say is that they sounded horrible when i "tried to" change amp to a marantz 6006 a couple of years ago, they sounded "smiley-ed" EQ, which i hate, so i sold the amp and stuck to my 20+ years old HK3370 receiver, which despite bad reviews online is actually a beast. I only upgraded to a Cambridage AXR100D recently.

The rest of my chain is: Project debut with Ortophon om2, and philips CD player 723 (can't find a reason to upgrade)
I will let you know next week when i can A/B test at home.

In the shop I went to i did listen to some B&W (not sure the model but one pair of shelf speakers were 1600 euros), i wasn't impressed. Btw in the shop they used a amp streaming receiver which costs 1000 euros. (not sure which model).

@pgirardot - The 607’s got them just before lockdown £100 off as the S1’s were being released. Rest of system as per signature (turn phone to landscape)

I don’t have any issues with the signature sound, I’m not actually sure what it is although some people seem to dislike B&W.
Looking to upgrade to a higher spec European /UK manufactured speaker which has me interested in the Dali Opticons

Do let us know how you get on with the Opticon 2 mk2’s.

You’ll read it in the manual, but note that DALI always recommend no toe-in with their speakers. They just fire straight out into the room.

If they’re anything like the Rubicon 2’s, I think you’ll be surprised at the quality and quantity of bass they’re capable of.

Maybe some very heavy speaker stands are the answer? I previously owned Atacama HMS stands filled with Atabites. It would take the All Blacks rugger team to topple those stands over, although I appreciate the speakers themselves aren’t physically bolted on. But some blu-tac should help.

so, first impression, i read that they need 100 hours of break in period - so maybe not ideal to comment already but sharing anyway. (though I am super skeptical of these break in periods, i believe the ears adjust)

First thing: it's not night and day vs the DM601 S2, those speakers really hold well. At least in tonality they are quite similar. I can't do proper A/B testing but know them well now.

Setup: 3m apart, about 18cm from the wall (sadly cant move them further away though will test when i can), not toed in (which feels weird!)
The Opticon 2 have more high end, more details (which is borderline aggressive at this stage on certain hi hats, please note i use Focal monitors for music production, i really want to stay away from monitors, i want flattering hifi speakers).
Low end is nice, they are quite detailed without being boomy, i tested my reference track Just jack's Writers block which has an amazing bass line - i've heard this line disappear on speakers, it's not the case here. I hear a tiny bit lower end too (which would be logical given the DM602 are starting at 70Hz apparently), which sounds amazingly nice on the intro of Roy Hardgrove's Strasbourg st denis.
Big difference: the stereo image, something i never really paid attention to, but that's day and night here, maybe due to the not toeing in. But this is actually very nice.
On the negative side: the sound is drastically different when not sitting in the sweet spot, something i did not notice with the B&W, likely due to the lack of toeing in.
I am also suprised by how some tracks sound better but others sound actually worst (Radiohead's 15 Step sounds pretty bad somehow)

Am I happy? i dont know, it's a very expensive upgrade, and I haven't gotten goose bumps yet. I guess i will wait for the break in time to be over - i also somehow picked the wrong color, Tobacco Oak, they looked great on picture but the wood looks cheap and doesnt fit my flat :/

Dali are fun dynamic speakers, but they can be aggressive. This is why I’ve changed to MA.

Both speakers are nice, and different in each ares. I never got used to not toe in philosophy they have.

However there’s no stopping you from toe in towards you, like the old speakers.

I did it when I’ve owned the Oberon 5. Dali also has cheap finish vs other speakers. Of course this depends on the price class.

If you don’t like them now-return them. Yes, they well change over time, but it should sound acceptable in the beginning. I have the feeling you are not entirely happy.

3 meters apart is too much, 2 meters should be ideal. This might change the sound stage.

Even so put on some heavy bass music, maybe they well change then.

On the intro of 15 by Radio Head there’s lot of high frequency information.

Listing to it now-super smooth sound.

How different was the sound in the shop?

@Helix Hifi -

Yes i like the MAs, but the new range doesnt fit my need (either too small or too big), i've been looking for the silver 1 for some time... then discovered the Dali.

Maybe i should ship them back (which is a pain), the sound is fine, i will need to get used to it, i guess i am not quite convinced by the color, which is sad - my wife noticed within 2 seconds of entering the room..

I cant go less than 3 meter wide as there is the sofa in between. (see pic above).
It may be a difference between front ported (the B&W) and the back ported.
15 step is a great track, i have the feeling the opticon are not flattering though, some stuff sound amazing but some don't (as in sound worst than i am used to).

I did tried toed in (it looks better actually!), and it loses the stereo image for sure, but sound more even somehow eg. there is less of a sweet spot.

In the shop, they sounded better than the oberon 3, they sounded great, but it wasnt my room nor my chain, so in the end that's probably the biggest factor.

There’s no harm adjusting the bass. If you have an amplifier which has this features.

Speakers do need break in, but you should be able to enjoy the sound too.

However I believe it’s better for you to get speakers which can be placed one the walls. Then subwoofer.

The sofa well absorbing the sound, that’s good thing. But it’s seems like you need to put two acoustic panels behind the speakers.

If you put on Time By Floyd. Is the clocks too sharp?

thanks a lot for the replies:
  • I am not surprised about the Opticon 6, would the mk1 be similar? just price wise the pill is easier to swallow
  • I actually stand corrected, the speakers are only 3 meter apart (mid to mid) (see a fairly distorted picture of the messy living room / everything room these days)
  • I am indeed nervous about the Oberon 7, i fear the bass will be a problem
- i don't have much space to get the speakers away from the wall, maybe would bring more bass to the ob5?
  • i know nothing about subwoofers, i wouldnt know where to start, but maybe that's a good idea
  • maybe i should stick to the opticon 2, less invasive and then need to find a way to protect the stands from the kid

thanks a lot
Looking at the picture, where do you sit while listening to music? at the table?

I haven't used your cartridge, but I would try and play with the tracking force.. like adjusting it near the max recommended and see if sharpness will dissipate in a fuller sound.

Dali are fun dynamic speakers, but they can be aggressive. This is why I’ve changed to MA.

Both speakers are nice, and different in each ares. I never got used to not toe in philosophy they have.

However there’s no stopping you from toe in towards you, like the old speakers.

I did it when I’ve owned the Oberon 5. Dali also has cheap finish vs other speakers. Of course this depends on the price class.
I have the opposite experience to you.

MA are more fun speakers and have that signature unatural tonality from the c cam drivers. They have a peak around 1 to 2 khz.

Dali have a smooth treble, better voiced and at times a little soft or reserved to the point you have to turn the volume up. Vocals have depth and not as forward as MA. A slight V curve. Bass isn't that strong on my Opticon 6 mk 2 compared to concept 40. They shine at the extremes.

@Helix Hifi -

Yes i like the MAs, but the new range doesnt fit my need (either too small or too big), i've been looking for the silver 1 for some time... then discovered the Dali.

Maybe i should ship them back (which is a pain), the sound is fine, i will need to get used to it, i guess i am not quite convinced by the color, which is sad - my wife noticed within 2 seconds of entering the room..

I cant go less than 3 meter wide as there is the sofa in between. (see pic above).
It may be a difference between front ported (the B&W) and the back ported.
15 step is a great track, i have the feeling the opticon are not flattering though, some stuff sound amazing but some don't (as in sound worst than i am used to).

I did tried toed in (it looks better actually!), and it loses the stereo image for sure, but sound more even somehow eg. there is less of a sweet spot.

In the shop, they sounded better than the oberon 3, they sounded great, but it wasnt my room nor my chain, so in the end that's probably the biggest factor.
What is the rest of the chain? I have dali rubicon 2s and I was finding them aggressive. Changing my dac and streamer and cables solved my problem. If you r going to keep them you might do the same. I changed my mains cable to audioquest y3 (y3 not z3 or x3) which tamed my yamaha a-s2100. On top got the smsl vmv d1se but I did my research on the way and your alternatives could be smsl d30 pro, geshelli j2, and schiit bifrost 2. And audioquest forest usb cable would tame the sparkle as well. It took me a year to come up with the right tweaks, but worth it.

Yeah, and no toe in for dalis.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom