Dali Helicon 400 or Dali Helicon 400 Mk2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Greenfence, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Greenfence

Greenfence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone heard the new Dali Helicon Mk2 yet? Any views on how this compares with the orginal version?
    I currently have a pair of Dali Mentor 2's which I absolutely love but i'm very tempted to but an "ex-demo" pair of the Helicons i've seen advertised for £1999 (i've used the dealer before for my Primare gear and my M&K Xenon surrounds and they are extremely reputable).
    I know the Helicon 400 mk1 is a superb speaker but will the mk2 be much better?

2. dean999

dean999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
  3. Turtles

Turtles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I first encountered Dali speakers at the Bristol Show last year and from that firmly added them to my list of speakers to consider for my upgrade. Gradually this was reduced to PMC OB1i and Dali Helicon 400 Mk2’s.

I personally think that either would have left me with a huge grin on my face, but the finish and ribbon tweeter of the Dali’s won me over in the end.

Although admittedly biased, I would really recommend that people looking for floorstanding speakers in this price bracket a listen. They perform best with a fair amount of room behind and to the sides (although the mk2 speakers are better in tighter spaces than the Mk1’s). The wooden finish is immaculate (I have not seen better) and, and most importantly, I am a huge fan of the Dali sound.

You may be better off looking to American hi-fi forums for more information as Dali have a much larger following in the states than over here. After getting the Helicons I actually had to place an order at the factory for the C200 mk2 centre – I was that impressed – and it was not cheap!

I bi-amp the fronts with the spare 2 channels from my Arcam P7, I think the centre would benefit from this also, but I just don’t have the space. The Helicons are rated at 300 watts so match the P7 perfectly.

I believe that the mk2’s are worth the extra (especially the black 25th anniversary editions). There is a refinement to the sound and the already good finish of the 400 mk1’s are improved again.

I’m no expert and can only speak from my experiences, but really would recommend an audition.