Dali Altecos vs Specktors

password1

Distinguished Member
Are the altecos similar quality speakers to specktors.

The altecos are double the price of the specktor 1s and look like a pair of specktors in different cabinets with a switch which i probably won't need to change once the speakers are installed.

If they are specktors in a different cabinet then surely a pair of specktors installed at the same angle would do exactly the same job and sound exactly the sound?

has anyone compared specktors to altecos? do they sound the same?

im leaning towards the specktor 1 or 2 to save some money but not sure if altecos are better.

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
IMG_20210902_114337.jpg

IMG_20210902_114402.jpg

password1

Distinguished Member
What you trying to do? Upfiring or height channels wall mounted?
Currently stereo just using opticon 6 mk2 and an Arcam A28. I have a spare subwoofer and a spare avr with pre outs to turn it into 4.1.

Usage is 95% stereo music. 5% movies.

Ultimately I'd like 5.1.2 when I find an opticon vokal mk2 open box or end of line discountin the future.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
They have same drivers and same waweguide. If you want to have surround speakers on-wall then the Alteco C1 is quite ideal. However you would mount them sideways.

Dali-Alteco-Niek-2-1024x576.jpg

Dali-Alteco-Niek-1-1024x576.jpg

And for Atmos then as heights! Most people here have said they don´t sound as good as upfiring as "heights".

Dali-Alteco-Niek-1024x576.jpg

password1

Distinguished Member
I've not thought about mounting altecos sideways as I assumed Dali recommend no toe in for all speakers, including surrounds. Food for thought.

If they are the same drivers then I'm assuming they have a similar sound signature. In that case I might as well buy the specktor 1 for half the price...

rccarguy2

Are the altecos similar quality speakers to specktors.

The altecos are double the price of the specktor 1s and look like a pair of specktors in different cabinets with a switch which i probably won't need to change once the speakers are installed.

If they are specktors in a different cabinet then surely a pair of specktors installed at the same angle would do exactly the same job and sound exactly the sound?

has anyone compared specktors to altecos? do they sound the same?

im leaning towards the specktor 1 or 2 to save some money but not sure if altecos are better.

Be aware the spektors are rear ported typically you want space behind the speaker, so if you have wall brackets that are very short it may cause issues with sound quality.

Try and find some front ported speakers instead?

password1

Distinguished Member
thanks for the heads up, however, the spektor 1's are designed to be able to be used close to a wall. in fact, they come with wall brackets.

password1

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies. I have ordered 2 pairs of spektor 1s. DALI recommend they can be used as close as 1cm from the wall so I should be OK.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies. I have ordered 2 pairs of spektor 1s. DALI recommend they can be used as close as 1cm from the wall so I should be OK.

But you have to do some DIY wall bracket them if you use them height channels aimed toward MLP. Something that tilts them. I assume Dali meant if you use port bungs then they can be used against walls. So you bought one for surround channels and other pair for heights for atmos?

password1

Distinguished Member
Im going 4.1 with a phantom centre to begin with using one of my old AVRs.

Opticon 6 mark 2 fronts off an Arcam A28.

Spektor 1 off the AVR.

The plan is to use the other pair of spektors is for atmos.. I haven't decided where to mount them yet.. front heights..or sides firing down.

There is a member with Monitor Audio 300 fronts and MA mass for front and rear heights.

Im watching and bidding on a few AVRs at the moment but second hand prices are fetching unbelievably high. It depends what AVR I end up with..whether 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 or 5.1.4.

I did think about sending one pair of spektors back and go for oberon on walls...

Im not sure if the Dalis come with bungs but my opticons didn't come with any.

Ultimately I want an opticon mark 2 centre.

password1

Distinguished Member
I have just picked up the specktors.
IMG_20211003_120534.jpg

They come with 2 packs of rubber feet and 2 little wall brackets and screws. I don't think I'll be using them.
IMG_20211003_120645.jpg

They come well packed in individual cloth bags. First impressions are they are tiny. really cute. On top of my Opticon 6 mk2:
IMG_20211003_121544.jpg

They're not that much bigger than a DVD case.
IMG_20211003_121836.jpg

With the grilles off the look quality and well made.
IMG_20211003_120923.jpg

On the rear there is a little bass port but no port bungs in the box.
IMG_20211003_120843.jpg

I still can't see why I'd pay double for the altecos. My initial verdict is get them while you can before any price rises. Now, time to run them in and look for some longer speaker cables.

Side view
IMG_20211003_121325.jpg

rccarguy2

Yeah price gouging on alteco only reason is they know proper cinema users ok spending more...when spektor 1 just two channel target.

I've bought the white q ones they'll blend into wall/ceiling and disappear.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
The reason why people go for Alteco over Spektor is simply aesthetics.
Some can't get sign off with a bookshelf speaker on a bracket, angled down.

If you want a pleasing speaker, that can be mounted in the corner perfectly as a height, then that's what the Alteco does.

Exact same driver - it hasn't been certified for Atmos as it would require the 7KHz lift. This would render it useless for multi-channel stereo / music and other applications.

It is simply functionality and aesthetics :)

password1

Distinguished Member
For me, the Altecos wouldn't fit neatly as I have coving. The Altecos would need to be below the coving leaving a large gap from top of speakers to ceiling or fitted on the ceiling but leaving a gap between speaker and wall.

Bookshelf speakers would actually fit closer to the ceiling corners.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom