Question Dali Alteco C1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by WT2, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. WT2

WT2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

New to the forum so would really appreciate some advice!

I have just purchased two pairs of the Dali alteco (atmos) speakers to go with my dali zensor 5.1 set up. I wanted to get the 5.1.4 atmos setup but have just realised that my Yamaha A860 can only do 5.1.2.

My question is what should I do with the second pair:

1) Do I return them? Buy them in the future when I buy a better amp.

2) Set them up as speakers for a 7.1. My amp allows me to connect all four but only 2 can be used depening on whats playing, so fronts for atmos and backs for 7.1. My couch is against the wall but with the option on the speaker to choose up firing or down firing I assume this would be OK?

3) Use an old amp (Yamaha 673) as an external amp to run the other pair. Not sure if this can work and if it did would it run as atmos channels or just surround sound?

The pair I have set up on top of the front speakers sounds awesome! Can only imagine with the second pair it would sound even better.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

2. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,668
    I can only answer your first question based on my own experience.

I don't have either your amp nor speakers, but, like you, I have just joined the Atmos club. I posted a query about the subject on here before committing and was advised to go 5.1.2 first and see how I got on.

Being me, I ignored that sage advice and went 5.1.4 instead! The difference is astonishing as I always thought the 5.1 set up was big-sounding, but this is completely on another level and having Front and Rear .4 speakers makes such a huge cinematic impact.

So my advice would be to keep the extra Atmos speakers you've got and either store them for future use or find a way to use them as described in your query. Because you're right: if 5.1.2 sounds as good as you think, then you'll be absolutely thrilled with 5.1.4.

3. WT2

WT2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Thank you for the advice.

Your discription of 5.1.4 sounds awesome and I would love to get an amp that handles 5.1.4 but they are huge compared to my current amp and will not fit in my current cabinet. Also kids would make it harder for me to leave amp out if I did get one.

Maybe these will get smaller and cheaper in the next years!

Thanks again.

4. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,668
    It's a pleasure.

Unfortunately, if you want 5.1.4 you'll need the amplification to drive all those speakers = a big box. But prices are dropping, especially on outgoing models as new ones come in.

Good luck!

5. rc789

rc789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    As long as your current Amp has pre outs you may be able to power the additional rears with another Av receiver or power Amp. Does the current amp allow for 5.1.4 in its speaker configuration? I’m not an expert so can only comment on what I’ve discovered so far.

6. WT2

WT2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Unfortunately my previous amp didnt allow for 5.1.4 so I sold it to another member on here!

The new amp I purchased does and now that it is set up as 5.1.4 it sounds great!!

Thanks

7. rc789

rc789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    A good enough excuse for an upgrade:clap:

8. Bilbo 69

Bilbo 69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If it was me I would put the speakers up high at the ceiling line down fireing these will sound much much better than up fireing.