Answered Dali Alteco C1 or Kef R50 Atmos Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by LordPinks, Oct 11, 2017.

1. LordPinks

LordPinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everyone, I was wondering whether anyone had heard the Dali Alteco C1 Atmos speakers. I’m considering buying a upward firing Atmos speaker. The others I’ve been looking at are the Kef R50. Unfortunately for me ceiling speakers are not an option. Any help or advice would be appreciated particularly on the above ranges.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #9 by greatbrit, Oct 15, 2017 (1 points)
    See Also:
  3. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have 4 x R50's and it sounds amazing

4. LordPinks

LordPinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Out of interest how far or close do they need to be from the front speakers to the listening position. My sofa is about 4m from screen to centre viewing point and probably similar distance from rear speakers.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    I have KEF R50s and love the expansive soundfield they provide. The Dali can be switched from upfiring to a normal configuration and placed on the wall so making it more versatile. Is the Dali better as an upright it's difficult to find any direct comparisons but the R50 is widely regarded as being the best.

Position should be on top of or as near as possible to the front (and surround) left and right speakers. Ceiling height needs to be between 8 and 14 feet with the speaker being positioned at less than 50% of that height. Ceilings should be perfectly flat and finished in a reflective surface, ie, plaster.

Although I only have room for two R50s in a 5.1.2 configuration I would buy another two in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. LordPinks

LordPinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What impact do you think it would have on the sound if I placed the speakers on a TV stand rather than on top of the speakers, meaning it would be approx. two foot lower. I only ask, purely down to aesthetics of how they might look in my room. I have Wide TV stand with Monitor Audio Silver 8’s for left and right front channels. I could place them on top of the speaker but I think I’d prefer to place on TV stand. I’ve never heard the effects of upward firing speakers and personally I can’t see it having that much impact but you may say differently having used them??

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    This works for me, they are six feet apart.
    001 copy.jpg
    I can see no problems as long as you EQ the modules into your system. When you use the modules, either with an Atmos soundtrack or the two pseudo upmixers on 5.1 discs or broadcasts don't expect the ceiling to come alive with sound. They do portray directional sounds when they are required, like a helicopter flying over or footsteps on the deck above your head in episodes of Black Sails. Otherwise the modules increase the depth and height of the front soundstage effectively putting you in a sound bubble. Overhead effects progress in a much smoother motion from front to back, negating the drop in sound between front and back speakers, or indeed vice versa.

After living with the R50s in a 5.1.2 layout for 18 months or so I would never go back to a base 5.1.

8. greatbrit

greatbrit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I just set up the Dalis tonight. I will write up a report when I've had more time to play with them. I have a Denon 4300, Dali Zensor 7s at the front (with a centre and a sub too of course) with Klipsch upfirings sitting on top. At the back I have Zensor 1s, with the Dalis sitting on top. The problem with my room configurations is that the rear surrounds are 2' above our ears, at around half-way up the wall, and we can't have them lower as they would literally be touching our ears (as the armchairs are right at the back, and not enough width to get away from the speakers). So the Dalis are sitting very high, about 3/4 the way up to the ceiling (Dolby say they should be around half way up).

Nevertheless, I played through the Dolby sample videos and there was a notable difference going from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4. Where at 5.1.2 I really had to convince myself the sounds were from above, with the 5.1.4 they actually seemed to be all around, including above. And the overall sound was awesome to my untrained ears.

So, no idea how the Dalis compare to the KEFs or other speakers, but so far, so good. With Sky moving to Atmos content, I am hoping to get some good use from them. I was originally looking at the little Onkyos, but the reviews seemed quite mixed. The Dalis seemed like a bargain at £260 (huge thumbs up to Creative Audio / Audio-Express. Megafast and free perfect delivery, and they even called me before shipping to make sure I understood what I was getting, what with it being an odd hybrid speaker).

9. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Just googled them..the dali’s..blimey they look exactly like svs ...

10. greatbrit

greatbrit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Best Answer
    I gave the Dalis a spin this weekend (see my post above for my speaker setup). I managed to find a Dobly Atmos demo sampler from 2015 (much improved from the 2014 sampler). It has movie scenes, music, several specific effects such as helicopter, rain, 747 flying over, etc. I felt the difference going from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 was huge, and I thought it sounded awesome. Everything I had hoped from Atmos. I can't answer whether the Dalis are better or worse than any other Atmos speaker, but I can say they did the job for me.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Any more thoughts?

12. LordPinks

LordPinks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I’m still swayed towards the Kef’s. The high gloss finish matches what I have already but means I pay twice the price. Time to start work on the wife now ......

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    KEF are bringing out the Q50. Price not announced yet but expect it to be considerably cheaper than the R50s.

14. BoilingFrog

BoilingFrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All, does anyone know what exactly the switch on the Dali Alteco does? It seems like it needs to narrow the sound 'beam' in up-firing mode but I don't know how it would do this.
    Thanks

15. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    It switches between a standard configuration for wall mounting high up which will be directional towards the MLP and the horizontal upfiring for ceiling bounced audio. Basically it's giving you two options in one box.

16. BoilingFrog

BoilingFrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, thanks, but you've described what it does (which I knew) not how it does it. Anyone else know?

17. pepelugil

pepelugil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, could it be possible when you have time to swap the Klipschs for the Dalis as front upfiring and tell us how they compare when only using 5.1.2 configuration?

Thanks

18. greatbrit

greatbrit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry, not likely right now as the rear ones would be a pain to remove. However, I have put the Klipsch up for sale in classifieds, with the plan to swap them out for two more Dalis, saving around £100 by doing that, and having everything Dali. I'm taking a bit of a risk because right now the setup sounds awesome.

19. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I thought that too. The Altecos aren't certified Dolby Atmos speakers either so they aren't great as upfiring speakers. I am tempted to get two pairs for Atmos for the top of the walls.

20. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I presently have four KEF T101's for my Atmos speakers installed on the ceiling but the dispersion isn't good. I'm thinking of selling them and getting four Dali Altecos. The thing is, my KEF's are installed a few feet in front and behind the seating position and point downwards. If I install the Altecos, they would have to go on the side walls just in front of and behind the listening position. Would the dispersion be good enough to reach my ears? Or could I put them right at the front and back of the 18 foot long room and adjust levels and distances? If I do that, they will no longer be within the Dolby recommended installation angles. Diagram enclosed, thanks.

Attached Files:

21. pepelugil

pepelugil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks anyway.

When you have your new pair of Altecos, please let us know how they sound compared to your previous Klipsch.

22. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    If I do buy four Altecos I would ideally want them on the side walls to the sofa. The pictures on the Dali site are confusing as the dispersion seems very narrow, presumably because of the foam insert. That would be no good at all.

Attached Files:

23. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Have you read this review, just intresting as Dali is similar design?!

The Atmos demos quickly made me realize that the Prime Elevations sound better than any reflected-sound elevation speakers I have tried. Plus, they do it at a lower price than most. That’s not to diminish the effectiveness and situational suitability of other approaches. But when speakers of this quality are located physically overhead, they enhance the clarity and fidelity of the 3D immersive soundfield.

Not only do these speakers outperform reflected-sound speakers in creating a credible sensation of height, they also beat the sound of in-ceiling speakers. The key is that the Prime Elevations fire downward at an angle.

I remember Mark had these at side walls same as he tested SVS Prime Satellites there with great results. Check the comments (3pages) i remember there was something..
    SVS Sound Prime Elevation Speakers Review - AVSForum.com

24. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I owned the SVS Elevations. I sold them and bought the Kef T101's as they were lighter - and safer - to hang on the ceiling. The Kef's sound good but do have a bad dispersion though, and when I saw the Altecos, with their 'Down' switch, it made me want them. They will have to go high on the side walls and I hope I'm not making a mistake buying them.

25. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to order two pairs. Anyone need two pairs of Kef T101?

26. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Of what? Dali ir svs

27. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Two pairs of the Altecos.

28. Topmetom 2

Topmetom 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Did you order them mate?

29. dyson2004

dyson2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Topmetom, I am so sorry for my late reply. I didn't realise I had not posted.

Yes, I bought and installed 4 Dali Altecos to use as Atmos speakers. I finished fitting them yesterday (15th June 2018) and the Atmos in my room has never sounded so good. After trying out various positions with them, the front speakers have been fitted on wall brackets with ball joints and installed on my side walls at 50 degrees to the centre listening position. I did originally fit the back Altecos at the top of the back wall facing straight out/down but they did not sound right and I lost a lot of the top end. So, I fitted them on ball joint speaker brackets at 45 degrees behind the seating position and have angled all four so that the wide dispersion of each covers the whole of the three-seater sofa. I can easily hear the top end of each speaker now, not losing anything like I did with the Kef T101's that were previously fitted on the ceiling. The beauty of the Altecos is that they timbre match my four Rubicon LCR's that I have as sides and rears and the sound between each speaker sounds seamless (if that's the word). I am very pleased and can thoroughly recommend them.

Here's a picture. Ignore the mess and wires please. It's a pan shot so the acoustic panels on the ceiling look distorted. You can see the four Altecos and four Rubicon LCR's behind the sofa.

Attached Files:

30. raz77

raz77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Hi which ball joint brackets did you buy? I have 4 BW M1 speakers at front and rear heights, tempted to switch to Dali and set up like you at the sides.

31. jasontrb

jasontrb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am interested in the Alteco C1 also. Does anyone know if it could be ceiling mount? Is it safe to do it this way? Thanks.