Daisy Chaining Two LCD TVs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by eyedontknow, Aug 4, 2013.

1. eyedontknow

eyedontknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 40inch Sony Bravia Smart LCD TV and a 46inch Sony Bravia LCD TV

As well as using the 40inch as a PC Monitor I can also use it to access sites like youtube, when the Computer is not running.

But I am unable to do this on the 46inch as it doesn't seem to have the same kind of smart technology as the 40inch one does.

This is a bit of a downer, as it would be nice to watch Youtube music videos in all their glory on the 46inch.

Is there a way of Hard Wiring these two TVs together, so when I watch a Youtube Video on the 40inch it also displays on the 46inch both at the same time.

But in TV mode I would like the option of displaying different channels on each one as I have both Sky and Virgin on old non hdmi boxes (so I have to use the Scarts)

Just wondering if I can link them both together using an hdmi cable?

If so what do I do

All ideas Welcome short of buying another Smart TV

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    The basic answer is no. TVs do not incorporate HDMI outputs. The only output option will be in relation to a SCART socket and this will be limited in relation to HDCP copyright protection as well as not being able to handle hi res and/or digital sound.

The best option is to look at an intermediary device that can facilitate the type of smart TV capabilities you are after.

Just adding something like an Apple TV or Roku box may be the answer or even look at buying a Blu-ray play that may also included the capabilities you are looking for? You could then split the output from such a device and mirror the same signal on both TVs.There are also an increasing number of Smart TV dongles on the market that enable non Smart TVs to gain the capabilities you'd ordinarily associate with Smart TV.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. eyedontknow

eyedontknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dante01

Both TVs have HDMI Sockets but in view of what you said was wondering if they might be Input only?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,052
    HDMI is directional meaning that an interface is either an input or an output and not both. HDMI requires that an HDMI output goes to an HDMI input. TVs do not come equipped with HDMI outputs because they are not generally used as the source of content for other displays to handle and are only used as the primary destination used to display content accessed via either external or internal sources. The only exception to this is in relation to optional audio return channel of HDMI 1.4, but this wouldn't give you the ability to output content in the manner you want.

No, you cannot daisy chain TV's together via HDMI or use one TV as an external HDMI source for another.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  5. eyedontknow

eyedontknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dante01

Many thanks for your reply I certainly didn't know that, so its back to the drawing board for the time being.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    As Dante said, all you need is a "smart" bluray player that incorporates YouTube. Iplayer, 40D etc, you should be able to get one for under £100.

You could even use a Raspberry Pi computer for about £40 which could give you a whole lot more as well

7. eyedontknow

eyedontknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi At

That's something else I've learned, I never knew Bluray players were smart and that they incorporated stuff like Youtube.

Many Thanks for your help