Daisy chaining HDMI matrices

MasterMak

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok, i'll try keep this as simple as possible.

I have 1 hdmi 4x4 matrix

And a much cheaper 2x4 matrix

Both take 5v power supply

My question is can i connect them together by having one of the outputs to the inputs of the other and vice versa.

My main concern is passing too much power through to the cables and damaging the tv's/projector/monitor

I might also use a cat5e over hdmi adapter for one of the connections although i don't think this point should make a difference in this situation.

I would appreciate any advice on this topic, in particular the issue of sending powered hdmi signals through the matrices. Can it cause problems?

The power will make no difference as all HDMi switches/splitters/matrixes should be powered, and connecting them together does not put any extra load down the HDMI cables.

However daisy chaining devices can be problematic with EDID/HDCP issues, that doesn't mean it wont work but can just be more difficult and difficult to diagnose.

Can you explain what you are trying to do as seems a strange setup ?

Well ideally would want a 8x8 matrix, but can't afford that at the moment.

I basically have 7/8 input devices and 4 output devices although i need 5 outputs because i use 2 hdmi going to 1 TV.

I've been using 3-1 switch as well along with matrix but that did not require any additional power supply.

So with my current equipment, I could get my setup to work, but i need to combine the 2x4 matrix and 4x4 matrix.

I am surprised the switch didn't need a Power Supply as all devices should have an external power supply.

How are you intend linking it all together to give 7/8 x 5 matrix setup ?

I've been drawing diagrams to help think about how i want all the cables (i've realised i need some short 0.3m hdmi cables to make things a bit neater)

From matrix 4x4 i'm going to have
4 outputs as follows:
1: sony tv (hdmi1)
2: sony tv (hdmi2)
3: sammy tv upstairs
4: will goto matrix 2x4 input 1

4 inputs on 4x4 matrix
1: stb 1
2: stb 2
3: apple tv
4: will goto matrix 2x4 output 2

Matrix 2x4 outputs
1: projector (forgot to add only matrix 2 separates hdmi audio out to rca - required or my pj)
2: as above - input 4 from matrix4x4

Matrix 2x4 inputs
1: goes to output 4 of matrix 4x4 - as above
2: xbox1/xbox2
3: pc
4: wii

I also have a ps3 (which only needs to go to a particular tv due to move and eye camera) and pc - so still looking to workout how these will fit in...

But being able to connect the 2 matrix together will really give me flexibility in where i can view the inputs

My only concern is that you have a potential loop if input 4 to output 4 is selected on 4x4 matrix and input 4 to output 2 on 4x2 matrix. Not sure what would happen but could be a problem.

Looks like a 6x 4 setup in essence but not a full matrix as certain combinations couldn't be used ie you couldn't send XBOX,Wii and.or PC to different TVS.

I wish you luck with the setup but suspect you may run in to issues

Do you know the problems that could occur with a loop? Apart from no picture appearing is there potential for damage to equipment?

I could work the loop out using my 1-3 switch and also incorporate my other output to a pc monitor which is in another room (using cat5e adapters)

How many people will be using the system at any one time? And of those how many will be simultaneously using the game consoles?

Creating a loop will simply result in HDCP not working and you seeing no image/hearing no sound - you do know HDMI is all about Content Copy Protection and absolutely nothing to do with image or sound quality!

https://www.facebook.com/TheMediaFactory/posts/294738857305184?stream_ref=10

Joe

R
How many people will be using the system at any one time? And of those how many will be simultaneously using the game consoles?

Creating a loop will simply result in HDCP not working and you seeing no image/hearing no sound - you do know HDMI is all about Content Copy Protection and absolutely nothing to do with image or sound quality!

https://www.facebook.com/TheMediaFactory/posts/294738857305184?stream_ref=10

Joe
at most there will be 3 people using different sources at a single time, om most occasions it should just be 2.

The games consoles will never be used at the same time - only one console will be used. That's why currently i have 2 xboxes and wii running through the unpowered 3-1 switch which is then fed into the 4x4.

Also a follow up question is regarding the power consumption of running a hdmi matrix. It will be on 24/7 365 days of the year... At max output (according to wryestorm spec sheet) is 12 watts... Is this going to put significant dent in my electricity bill? Is 12watts negligible in relation to other a/v devices? And does 12watts max output seem realistic or is the reality going to be higher/lower?

If I follow your list you have:

Sources
Stb1
Stb2
Apple TV
Xbox (which version?)
PC
Wii (converted to HDMI)

Displays
TV1
TV2
TV3 (upstairs)
Projector

You don't mention a surround sound Amp anywhere?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom