1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dagital TV - what's go good about it 2?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by martinha, Apr 3, 2002.

1. martinha

martinha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far (I may be in touch with Martin re. the aerial) but what I really need a answer it is whether I should buy an IDTV or get a good analgue one and buy a separate box.

I'm only planning t watch the terrestial channels (and perhaps some of the free digital ones)

I know from my days as a hi-fi enthusiast that all-on-one solutions are never the best. Is it the case with digital TV's? I assume that if the digital part needed upgrading/changing then replacing a separate box is easier than buying a whole new TV...

2. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I went for the "good TV and seperate digibox" solution and have no complaints at all.
    You have more freedom in your TV choice (for example you could avoid paying for sound processing you don't need if you have a seperate amp) and future upgrades of the digibox (maybe to Sky+ for example) are possible.

The only downside I can see is the extra box.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Spend your cash on a good television and then get the new PACE adaptor for FTA digital terrestrial televsion.
    It's very small compared to "normal" digital recievers.

http://www.pacefreetoview.co.uk/

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    But the disadvantages of seperates is....

THE STB will take up a valuable RGB SCART soc. on your TV.

More SCART leads, trailing wires and extra plug sockets required.

Another remote to add to the clutter.

No, I would go for the IDTV option.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    However the add on boxes are not as good as the built in tuners found on good IDTVs

My Sony IDTV is excellent

Definately IDTV

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suppose it's horses for courses.

If you only want the freebie stuff and you see an IDTV that you like anyway then why not. The problem is that if you want more services/channels then you're going to need to go down the SKY or NTL route or whatever may come along.

I have NTL because of more channels and now broadband.

If you buy the IDTV and you want to upgrade or the digital bit goes kaput, there's nothing to stop you from getting an STB then anyway - the tele will still work.

My vote goes to seperates though.

Cheers
    OG

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    How do you know a standalone is inferior since the PACE model still isn't on the market and the Nokia is months away?
    I'm using these two example because they will be sold off the shelf with no further subscription required.
    I would guess even your SONY would struggle in a poor reception area, that above all is a major sticking point in the DTT service.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Seen Nokia, Sky and Phillips boxes all with Sony TVs - none as good as the internal tuner.

Remember the tuner is actually on the main PCB, so no Scart issues.

BTW 2 1/2 years old - no hardware related problems, except CAM upgrade required (1st gen IDTV).

DTTX is pretty fast compared to a Nokia box

The Sony tuner will definately be better than the new Nokia box, why?

The Nokia box is based on the Ondigital box, which 1) breaks up a lot, 2) is 2K only, 3) Slow, 4) Locks up a lot. The Sony tuner is much better.

Anyway the new DRCMF IDTVs come with two RGB Scarts so if you want 2 RGB Scart and DRCMF you have to have an IDTV.

As to that Pace box, too restrictive on cabling, however it would be ok for a portable or a vcr.

Signal strength and Sony

Well I have seen a Sony IDTV overdriven on signal strength which a Nokia box didn't like. Also I have medium (3 1/2 - 4 1/2) on Nokia box and the TV is fine and the box breaks up - was even worse before SC power increase.

I remember my first 6 months of pay TV.

Watched something on Sky1, after 15 minutes of breakup every 30 seconds I decided to cook the card and rick the CAM and put up with the blocking 2/3rds down, hassled Ondigital and they said don't use CAM.

Luckily due to my pressure at Sony and Ondigital I got my CAM upgrade very soon after - so much better!

BTW the CAM problem was due to wrong specs sent to Sony by Ondigital

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Thanks for the clarification Martin:)
    Any thoughts on if SONY will enter the standalone FTA reciever market, I'll never buy a IDTV but I've got a SONY RPTV and have had no problems with it.
    Just wondering because they sell a good SKY D box but have had some bad press for the lack of DD 5.1 support, the DTT market might be an opportunity for expansion.