Daft Question

Wulbert

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a daft question but here goes; I'm just browsing Amazon and iTunes store, thinking of buying a concert film (Roger Waters' "Us and Them"). If I buy this file, is there a way to watch and listen with 5.1 sound?

Whilst I can connect my 2012 iMac to my projector ( via Firewire to HDMI cable) and get cinema visuals, the only sound output from the Mac is via the headphone socket, which is simple stereo. I tend to connect this to my A/V amp's "Aux" input and set it to "5 channel stereo", a kind of faux 5.1.

Is there a way to get proper surround sound from purchased video files?

Beyond this, is there a simple box I can buy which will output HD video and surround sound from purchased film files? I.e. a solid state version of my Blue-Ray player?

If so, how/where do I buy, load and play such film files?

Apologies for my ignorance. I love music and films but I'm lagging behind the tech a fair bit. I'm feeling the need to have a live concert experience at home since we can't go to real, live concerts.

Hdmi to an av receiver would be the normal way for sound and then avr to projector. I don't know your equipment but it sounds like it might be dated.

Apple TV box should be able to output the iTunes file via hdmi to avr

There might be others like the vero 4k+ or some of the cheaper android boxes that could play the files if the mac cant

Hdmi to an av receiver would be the normal way for sound and then avr to projector). I don't know your equipment but it sounds like it might be dated.

Apple TV box should be able to output the iTunes file via hdmi to avr

There might be others like the vero 4k+ or some of the cheaper android boxes that could play the files if the mac cant

Thanks Gerry,
I can play Blue Ray discs in the usual way (BR player to A/V amp to HDMI passthrough to projector. Gear is old but not obsolete. Just wondering if there is a way to buy a film instantly on-line and watch/listen with surround sound? I'll have a look at that Vero thing, thanks.

If your Amp has a Digital Optical Input and is capable of decoding 5.1 you can usually use the ‘hidden’ Optical Out on a iMac for surround sound Output.

The 3.5mm headphone/line Out on most iMac models doubles up as an Optical out if you use a mini-toslink adapter or cable.

Joe

Hi Joe,
Thank you very much for that information. I think I remember reading that the "headphone" out is also optical on my iMac. I'd forgotten all about that. And my AV amp does indeed have an optical input. Great suggestion.

I wonder if a movie playing on iTunes will automatically output 5.1 when the toslink cable is connected or if I'll need to select this somewhere.

Arguably if you're in the Apple camp them an apple TV might be a good but relatively pricey option

Arguably if you're in the Apple camp them an apple TV might be a good but relatively pricey option

I don't have an actual TV I'm afraid. Been using the iMac as a "telly" for years. Got fed up with adverts and binned the TV.

The Apple TV fits into this part of your OP.
It's a streaming box with a strong Applecentric focus.

Another alternative might be something like a Fire Stick, especially if you opt to purchase stuff from Amazon.

Both devices would plug into a suitable HDMI equipped amplifier and send video to your projector plugged into the amps output.

Beyond this, is there a simple box I can buy which will output HD video and surround sound from purchased film files? I.e. a solid state version of my Blue-Ray player?

The Apple TV fits into this part of your OP.
It's a streaming box with a strong Applecentric focus.

Another alternative might be something like a Fire Stick, especially if you opt to purchase stuff from Amazon.

Both devices would plug into a suitable HDMI equipped amplifier and send video to your projector plugged into the amps output.

Ah, I didn't know that. I thought the Apple TV box needed an actual TV to link to. So, if an Apple TV box is connected to my amp, the amp will see it as another source? My amp is a Yamaha RX-V479 model. That would save a bit of hassle with cables in the current lash up.

Jamie,

If I bought a 4K, Atmos equipped Apple TV box, would it still play OK on my 1080p HD projector and 5.1 amp? Or would I need to find an older Apple TV to go with my older gear? Are the backwards compatible?
Apologies, I should probably start a new thread now that this one's questions have been answered.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom