Daft question of the day re: AVR350

sjackson

I'm setting up my AVR350 today for the first tiem. In fact it's my fisrt ever AV Receiver. I'm also using a DV137 as my source. My speakers are Quad L-ites.

At the minute I'm trying to get stereo sound (CD) going, but for the life of me I can't get anything out of the sub. "Stereo Mode" in "Subwoofer Settings" is set to "Sub+Sat".

I know the sub works 'cos when I was adjusting the "Level Settings" I could hear a bit of a rumble (couldn't adjust this to the 75db that it says in the manual though).

Am I missing something completely simple? The sub is in standby mode, so it's not even getting a signal from the amp. I presume that the appropriate sub output on the amp is in the "Analogue Pre-amplifier Outputs" on the back panel of the amp.

webhammer

Novice Member
If you are using the 'Direct' button, there will be no sub output. Otherwise it should be there. In any other mode, press the 'sub' button to the right of the volume minus button, and adjust the sub output with the right and left arrow keys around the 'ok' button. If you still don't hear anything, something else may be wrong. Also, there may be problems with subwoofer output if the speaker size is set to 'LARGE', depending on the surround mode setting. Keep trying!:)
sjackson said:
I'm setting up my AVR350 today for the first tiem. In fact it's my fisrt ever AV Receiver. I'm also using a DV137 as my source. My speakers are Quad L-ites.

At the minute I'm trying to get stereo sound (CD) going, but for the life of me I can't get anything out of the sub. "Stereo Mode" in "Subwoofer Settings" is set to "Sub+Sat".

I know the sub works 'cos when I was adjusting the "Level Settings" I could hear a bit of a rumble (couldn't adjust this to the 75db that it says in the manual though).

Am I missing something completely simple? The sub is in standby mode, so it's not even getting a signal from the amp. I presume that the appropriate sub output on the amp is in the "Analogue Pre-amplifier Outputs" on the back panel of the amp.

sjackson

webhammer said:
If you are using the 'Direct' button, there will be no sub output. Otherwise it should be there. In any other mode, press the 'sub' button to the right of the volume minus button, and adjust the sub output with the right and left arrow keys around the 'ok' button. If you still don't hear anything, something else may be wrong. Also, there may be problems with subwoofer output if the speaker size is set to 'LARGE', depending on the surround mode setting. Keep trying!:)
Direct is definately not on. Just tried a DVD and the sub is fine. Just on cd's I'm having trouble

tvh3ad

Novice Member
sjackson said:

I used to have the AVR300 and I could never get the sub to play in stereo mode unless the front speakers were set to 'Small'. I thought (and think) that this is a software issue in that the various sub stereo mode settings appear to have no effect unless the speakers are set to 'Small' but there is no clear indication that this is by design either in the menus or in the manual.

Plus, I have an AV9 now and it does what I was expecting the AVR300 to do.

sjackson

Yup, have them set to small and sub present

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
How do you have your DV137 connected to the AVR350?

What input are you on when listening to CDs?

Have you set up the speaker management on the DV137 yet?

Make sure you have all your speakers set to 'Small'

sjackson

Crustyloafer said:
How do you have your DV137 connected to the AVR350?

What input are you on when listening to CDs?

Have you set up the speaker management on the DV137 yet?

Make sure you have all your speakers set to 'Small'
Using the analogue pair of leads to connect from the stereo out (137) to cd in (350)

Not set up speaker management on the 137 yet, but would that make a difference due to the method I have tha dvd player connected to the amp?

Yes, on the amp, the speakers are set to small. The sound from the speakers is not great for cds, but dvds it's fine, and the sub kicks in

sjackson

philb said:
off topic,but how does it sound with the quad's? and dvd's??
Sounds great with DVDs but terrible with CDs. Sounds like they are in a bag or something. Have the front two biamped as well.

mlilliman

Novice Member
Might be wrong, but you're sending a stereo analogue output from your DVD player to the AVR350, so you'll only get 2 channel reproduced (I'd prefer this btw!). Perhaps the frequency crossover for the sub is bypassed in analogue mode?

To get the sub involved with an analogue source I believe you need to use a digital connection and let the amp do the decoding. That's how it works on my Yamaha anyway.

Having said that, you say everything works fine with DVDs so you must have the co-axial or optical connection in place. If that's the case, try checking the audio setup section of the DV137... it may not be set-up to output 2 channel stereo via the analogue outs.

sjackson

mlilliman said:
Might be wrong, but you're sending a stereo analogue output from your DVD player to the AVR350, so you'll only get 2 channel reproduced (I'd prefer this btw!). Perhaps the frequency crossover for the sub is bypassed in analogue mode?

To get the sub involved I think you need to use a digital connection and let the amp do the decoding. That's how it works on my Yamaha anyway.
OK, I'll try that...... thanks. But I did notice the sub working when I had the NTL digital plugged in (again just the two leads)

Greggles

sjackson said:
Sounds great with DVDs but terrible with CDs. Sounds like they are in a bag or something. Have the front two biamped as well.
If the DV137 is set to 6 channel bitsteam and you are playing CDs through just the left and right channel will sound terrible as a lot of the information will be absent.

sjackson

Greggles said:
If the DV137 is set to 6 channel bitsteam and you are playing CDs through just the left and right channel will sound terrible as a lot of the information will be absent.
Thanks a mill. Will try that as well. What happens then with sound for the DVD's?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Greggles said:
That's not true of the DV137 as it has dedicated stereo outputs as well as 6 channel outputs. The stereo outputs on the DV137 are always stereo and will downsample multi-channel audio.

On that subject sjackson, make sure you ARE using the dedicated stereo outputs on the player and not the front left and right speaker ouputs which are part of the multi-channel ouptuts on the player. The multi-channel outputs on the player are affected by the player's own speaker management and so if the speakers are set to small on the player you will only get stuff above the player's set crossover frequency.

Sparky66

Novice Member
As a side note and test, make sure your sub is bypassing any internal crossover circuits by deselecting it or increase the crossover to it's highest setting or use the LFE socket.(You want your receiver and/or your DVD player to handle the crossover point. Then hook up the multichannel interconnects on the back of the DV137, go into the players setup menu and set all the speakers to small, subwoofer present and crossover to 80Hz. Select Dvd-Audio (Mch) on AVR350 and have a listen. This way, you should get Direct Sound with subwoofer bass management handled by the onboard dacs on the DV137. This is the way I listen to CD Stereo. My exception being that I set the front speakers to Large+Sub (that is, if you have full range floorstanding speakers ). It works for me. :clap:

sjackson

Think I've found the problem. Thanks for everyones help.

The album CD I was using to test was "The Go! Team" and the sound was absolutly brutal. Never thought it might have been the CD and not the equipment. Swapped it out for the "Stanton Warriors" and the sub lit up. To test again I tried "Anthony & The Johnsons". Sounds great. So thats possibly the last time I'll ever listen to that album - mp3s of it all the way now on the PC.

So to answer how the L-ites are with the 350. Fantastic! Crystal clear, and a nice kick out of the sub. Had to turn the sub up to about 80 as well.

Thanks again for the advice.