Daft question - maybe

bl0ckev

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As Part of the package I am on I am entitled to a extra virgin media box for another TV in the house. I said no to it initially as we only have the one TV.

My question, if I was to get a TV in another room, what would be the main source for the virgin box? Does the box downstairs need linking with the one up stairs using cables etc....

Told you it was a daft question

I have only ever had one box myself but I would assume they will just put another box on the wall of the room and connect it to the main one, wherever that is.

Putting aside any special deal you are able to negotiate, the second box will be £6.50 per month, this will get you all the same channels as your main box. There may also be install/activation fee, again you may be able negotiate.

To install the box, VM will split the main feed, depending on location of second box and any obstacles, this may be inside where the feed to your main box enters your home, or outside and run along side the outside of your house.

Hi,

As Part of the package I am on I am entitled to a extra virgin media box for another TV in the house. I said no to it initially as we only have the one TV.

My question, if I was to get a TV in another room, what would be the main source for the virgin box? Does the box downstairs need linking with the one up stairs using cables etc....

Told you it was a daft question

Your second box isn't required to be connected to your other box. Each STB will require a coax feed from the main feed coming into the house. Virgin split the main feed and run coax from the split to your second box.

Putting aside any special deal you are able to negotiate, the second box will be £6.50 per month, this will get you all the same channels as your main box. There may also be install/activation fee, again you may be able negotiate.

To install the box, VM will split the main feed, depending on location of second box and any obstacles, this may be inside where the feed to your main box enters your home, or outside and run along side the outside of your house.

I recently changed my tarrif to one of the new 'Collections'. They moved my old V plus box upstairs and replaced it with a (Samsung) tivo downstairs. The upstairs box is included in the deal at no extra monthly cost as I was paying the 'HD' fee. They also waived any install/activation fee. These new 'Collections' are on a totally different scale of things to the old price tarrif as far as I can see. The 'fee waiver' may have been a special offer to a long term customer. I'm paying and extra £3 a month for what now have, including 60mB broadband (previously 10mB). I dropped inclusive 'evening call' charges, but retained 'weekends'.

Worth a phone call to check latest offers. No 'threats to leave' or haggling in my case, just a new contract for 18 months.

Last edited:
They moved my old V plus box upstairs and replaced it with a (Samsung) tivo downstairs. .

Sorry to somewhat divert this thread but I have not encountered a "Samsung" TiVo before :confused:

All VM TiVo's AFAIK are manufactured by Cisco Systems? Your old V+ HD may have been manuactured by either Samsung, or Scientific Atlanta (a Cisco subsidiary)

Virgin started getting Tivo box's from Samsung back end of last year. They now have two suppliers, Cisco and Samsung, its a bit like what Sky did with the HD box. It helps to ensure supply

Last edited:
Sorry to somewhat divert this thread but I have not encountered a "Samsung" TiVo before :confused:

All VM TiVo's AFAIK are manufactured by Cisco Systems? Your old V+ HD may have been manuactured by either Samsung, or Scientific Atlanta (a Cisco subsidiary)

It says Samsung on the box and bears the Samsung logo! I must say the SD upscaling was better than I expected. Could there be any differences at that end of things?

Both Ciso and Samsung now manufacturer TiVo boxes for Virgin Media. Cisco had the initial contract to make the boxes, but Samsung were also later contracted to manufacturer the hardware. Both Cisco and Samsung currently make the hardware for Virgin Media.

Samsung to build next wave of Virgin Media TiVo boxes - Pocket-lint

Furthermore, Scientific Atlanta is not a subsidiary of Cisco. Cisco bought out Scientific Atlanta and Scientific Atlanta is no longer a going concern.

Last edited:
Furthermore, Scientific Atlanta is not a subsidiary of Cisco. Cisco bought out Scientific Atlanta and Scientific Atlanta is no longer a going concern.

AFAIK cable boxes are still manufactured in the SA factory? OK they may be branded Cisco...?

Whatever I think it is remarkable that US manufactured electronic goods can still compete with Korean manufactured electronic goods.

This to me says a lot about US manufacturing versus European Manufacturing.

The only stage afaics where Europe really competes is on heavy end engineering from Germany:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom