Daft question from a newbie!

Teflon

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this game, and am thinking of buying a Sony HTSL5 receiver (Empire Direct, £246.32).

I've been checking out the Sony catalogue, and in the techincal specs, it would appear that there is no phono input, and no audio input, though it does have 2 x optical, and 1 x co-ax digital inputs.

Now for the daft question - does this mean I would only be able to connect my DVD player (or other digital device)? Surely I should be able to conect my TV \ Video, otherwise, why would the system support Pro-Logic II?

Any advice, or views would be appreciated.

many thanks,

Teflon

I think this is the case having a quick look at this unit. I think it is because this is just an entry level home cinema unit. :) But I could be wrong.

Thanks for the response.

I may have a look in my local Sony centre to check it out in detail. Seems to be a good bit of kit in other respects.

Ideally I would like something a bit beefier, but I'm strapped for space (and funds!0

Thanks once again

If I bought this unit, and am seriously thinking of doing so, I would want to connect my DVDR, CD player, TV and, for a while at least, my VCR. I would expect to get DD5.1 from the DVDR and DPL2 from the TV and stereo 2 channel from the CD player.

Are you saying I would not be able to do this? Or at least I would not be able to get DPL2 from my TV? I don't care about the VCR, thats just for archiving some of my old tapes to DVD via my DVDR.

I'm a newbie also, so just looking at the specs doesn't tell me much. I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Eric,

Had a look earlier today at an example in Curry's. It seems to have analogue connections for TV (or cable\sat) & VCR, plus 2 optical digital inputs & 1 co-ax digital input.

On the strength of this, I've ordered one from Empire Direct, so here's hoping!

Teflon

Please post back with your impressions when you have it hooked up. I'm still undecided whether to go this route or the separates route.

With the outlets you mention would I be able to connect my DVDR, Tivo (forgot to mention that above), CD and VCR and get 5.1, DPL2, stereo and DPL2 sound respectively?

Good luck, and look forward to hearing from you.

Eric,

Had a note saying they tried to deliver today whilst I was out :-(

However, they should bringing it round tomorrow, so hopefully I can let you know what it's like later tommorrow.

Fingers crossed!!

Originally posted by Teflon
Eric,

Had a note saying they tried to deliver today whilst I was out :-(

However, they should bringing it round tomorrow, so hopefully I can let you know what it's like later tommorrow.

Fingers crossed!!
Thanks - I am really eager for your feedback because my DVDR arrived yesterday and I am reluctant to play my first DVD (never had one before) until I can experience it in all its glory, so I want to get something soon.

I looked at a HT-SL5 yesterday and, with my limited knowledge, it appeared to have 3 phono inputs plus the digital inputs. If I've got this right that means I could hook my CD, Tivo and VCR to the phono plugs and the DVDR to the digital input. Does that sound right?

Eric

Originally posted by childe
it appeared to have 3 phono inputs plus the digital inputs. If I've got this right that means I could hook my CD, Tivo and VCR to the phono plugs and the DVDR to the digital input. Does that sound right?

Yep, spot on. If it only has 2 phono inputs and a couple of digital inputs, you can run an optical lead between your CD and amp too.

Eric,

bad news - my shipment arrived today - it was some golf balls my wife had ordered!! (disappointed or what!)

Looks like I will have to waite another day or two for the Sony to arrive. I'll post my views on the unit as soon as I get it though.

Regards,

Teflon

Has it arrived yet? I'm hitting the shops tomorrow...

Eric

Sorry Eric, but no joy so far. I rang Empire Direct, and they advised it should be here early next week. If you get yours first I'd be grateful for your views.

Regards,

Teflon

Good news for me. I live near Empire Electrical, Empire Directs shop. They had one in stock and let me buy at the internet price, £246.

Very happy with it so far, especially the playback of DVD sound. Did my first ever last night and it was brilliant.

It does everything I wanted and is very small. Unfortunately the SW cable was too short for where I wanted to put it, but actually I have found it sits quites nicely on the AV stand, sounds great and yet does not disturb the neighbours, unlike when I had it on the ground last night when they thought there was an aeroplane taking off!

My only problem so far is what to do with the AM and FM aerials. It is not obvious to me how they should be attached. I'd appreciate your feedback on that when yours arrives.

The other thing is although sound from the DVD is great, when I am watching TV or camera input via my DVD recorder I can't get any sound out, so have to use the TV's own speakers.

Again any hints welcome.

All in all, very happy and glad I did not spend any more for a bigger system. This is more than enough for my room.

Good luck with yours and I hope it arrives soon.

Eric

Eric,

I'm tempted to buy this package myself, so could you tell me if music sounds any good through these speakers. In particular, I watch a lot of the music channels on Sky, so any idea how these sound? If you don't have Sky, then how about an ordinary CD or just general music from a tv channel. I'd just like to know if the music sounds 'clear' with plenty of bass from the sub.

In answer to your question about the sound from your tv, do you have a phono cable connected from the back of the tv to the amp? (Sorry if that's an obvious suggestion!)

Originally posted by Max
Eric,

I'm tempted to buy this package myself, so could you tell me if music sounds any good through these speakers. In particular, I watch a lot of the music channels on Sky, so any idea how these sound? If you don't have Sky, then how about an ordinary CD or just general music from a tv channel. I'd just like to know if the music sounds 'clear' with plenty of bass from the sub.

In answer to your question about the sound from your tv, do you have a phono cable connected from the back of the tv to the amp? (Sorry if that's an obvious suggestion!)
Max

Music (a CD) sounded OK in the shop but I haven't tried music at home yet. However given I am not too particular I think it will sound OK to me. I'll try it tonight and let you know.

Re the sound "problem" yes I did try phono plugs from DVD to amp (no phono sockest on the TV) both in addition to and in place of the digital coax cable. Still no sound. I suspect I have some other cables in the wrong place. Its hard to keep track there are so many? What do the RF cables do? They are my prime suspect right now but I have not had time to experiment yet.

Eric,

Good news about your Sony - bad news about mine! Empire Direct have dispathed the wrong unit (together with charging and extra £90!). They've advised me not to accept delivery when it arrives in the next day or so, and in the meantime are sorting out my Barclaycard and a replacement unit. Still, from the sounds of your experience so ar it should be worth the wait.

With regards to your problem re sound from your TV - you may be stuck if your television has no phon output. However, you may be able to get sound out via your VHS recorder (i.e have the video on, tuned to the same channel as the TV, and select "Video" on the Sony).

Hope this makes sense,

Regards,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom