Daft question alert!

Dony

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 3 DECT Panasonic phone's in the house. I need to buy another handset but the model I have is discontinued.

Can I just buy any single phone and plug it in or will the new handset need "paired" to the main base phone?

Last edited:
Dony - I am no expert, however my understanding is that you can buy another phone but it will need to be connected to its own telephone line. So as long as you have another phone line in the place you want to connect the new phone then it will be no problems

If you buy an any additional handset by Panasonic (new model?), you may be able to pair it to the existing base-station.

Can't be certain though, sorry.

Any GAP (Generic Access Profile) compatible DECT handset should pair with any GAP DECT base station. If you pair different brands/models you may lose functionality & only be able to make/receive calls. Things like caller display & internal calling/transfer may not work.

I'd suggest buying the nearest Panasonic equivalent although you can often pick up spare handsets for discontinued models on Ebay.

Last edited:
The idea of the DECT standard was that different handsets will be compatible. I've got a Fritzbox system with four handsets. I still had a few handsets from an old BT Siemens system, so have added two to the Fritzbox. The BT handsets don't offer all the features, but they work exactly as they originally did with the BT basestation.

I would expect the Panasonic handsets to be just as flexible.

HTH,

Ian

Thanks all.....since it's going into a bedroom, and will get minimal use, I've decided just to order an analogue phone. There's a phone socket next to the bed anyway and it saves any hassle of non-compatibility.

Thanks all.....since it's going into a bedroom, and will get minimal use, I've decided just to order an analogue phone. There's a phone socket next to the bed anyway and it saves any hassle of non-compatibility.
My parents insist on keeping an analogue phone in addition to cordless ones. That way if the power goes out they can still make emergency calls.

Great idea until you consider the fact that everybody has a mobile now!

But not everyone gets a decent signal indoors ;)

If its gap compatible (which Panasonic phones are) you'll have no trouble pairing a new phone to your old base station or your old phones to a new base station or you can have two base stations (but the intercom won't work between different base stations) I've paired Siemens Gigaset phones to a Panasonic base station and vice versa Panasonic phones to a Gigaset base station and different generations of both to their own base stations. Everything seems to work with everything and its dead easy. Only thing is some features (like SMS) don't work on new phones with old base stations. And old phones with new base stations.

I've got two different dect phones connected to my fritzbox. Then I've also got a Siemens base station hanging off the fritzbox to which I've got a further 4 dect phones. Then I've also got two wired ip desk phones connected via the fritzbox. All works wonderfully together.

Just check they are gap compatible and you'll be fine.

There's GAP and then there's REN I believe. GAP is the intercompatibility of handsets and REN is the maximum amount of handsets available on a line (IIRC). However if you buy a new standalone handset it should just work.

There's GAP and then there's REN I believe. GAP is the intercompatibility of handsets and REN is the maximum amount of handsets available on a line (IIRC). However if you buy a new standalone handset it should just work.

Ren is about the physical connections/extensions to a telephone line. That would be relevant to the number of dect base stations one could have. Or so I seem to recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Panasonic website should detail which handsets are compatible with which base stations. The Gigaset site certainly does as I need to replace a handset that has been dropped and is now held together with cello tape. My chosen replacement isn't fully compatible with the base station but by the looks of things, the base station doesn't cost that much on top. I only use the house phone for occasional calls so don't need 70% of the features. Therefore I could probably get away with any old handset.

Ren is about the physical connections/extensions to a telephone line. That would be relevant to the number of dect base stations one could have. Or so I seem to recall.

Yes, REN is the Ringer Equivalent Number. One phone line can power about four 'ringers'. A phone/base-unit is usually 1. A caller display device 0.5 for example.

I recently had the same quandary as Dony. I decided to take a chance and got two new Panasonics to pair with my 6-year old ones. They went together fine, although I had to use the new base-unit as the master.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom