1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daft question about PAL PS and component output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stricko, Jan 24, 2004.

1. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I guess I'm a beginner here, but I'd appreciate a little help regarding progressive scan and/or component output.

I'm looking for a new DVD player (see other threads for the sorry saga) to maximise picture quality on a Pioneer PDP433MXE plasma. I've got a right old mix of PAL and NTSC DVD's.

I've assumed all along that component output will give the best output, and from what I've read here and elsewhere Prog Scan will give me the best results from the plasma (assuming the DVD is prog in the first place. See I have been reading up, honest)

My question is, should I be able to switch from interlaced to prog scan on the player;

a) using the component output
    b) without changing the settings on the plasma
    c) will things behave differently for PAL and NTSC material

The reason for the question is that I'm trying to understand what is going on with my CA DVD-57. I can't tell what type of picture I'm seeing. RS Tehnical Support don't seem too sure about the box eiither.

I'll be taking the CA box back, but I'd like to be more sure of waht a player is supposed to be doing before I get a replacement.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, just point me to the right thread/article.

Many thanks in anticipation

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CA is outputting Pal PS as NTSC PS. It dosen't output "true" Pal PS. It really can ruin the image...the Yamaha 540 outputs true Pal PS is is a shede over £100 at RS...if I was you, I'd give it a try. In fact I did - 3 months ago and have still got it!! Which is a record for me...:rolleyes:

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    stricko,

If you press the "display" button on your MXE remote, it will show you what type of signal is being received. For PAL PS it will show 625p, and for NTSC PS it will show 525p. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Steve, I'd forgotten that and it has at least given me some clues about what is going on.

Some results.

With a CA DVD 57, I couldn't get interlaced PAL or NTSC through component output, but I could get Prog. For PAL it showed 625p lines, and NTSC 525p. I thought the 57 wasn't supposed to do it for PAL, or is this the result after conveersion from 525

I was then able to test a DVD 59. Same material, but very different results. Interlaced available for both PAL and NTSC, and both would allow switching via the remote to Prog scan. But in both cases the plasma says it is getting 525p.

Interestingly, the 57 allows the choice of Auto PAl and NTSC on one of the menus, but for the 59, it's greyed out and shows only NTSC. However, you can change it via the remote.

For both the 57 abd 59, the results seem to be "unusual" and I can't say my confidence in either model has improved. So it's back to the drawing board.................

I'd like to wait for the new HK models but the prices in Europe are such a rip off compared to the US. Amazon.com is quoting $299 for the DVD31, but Sevenoaks reckon it might be £450 in the UK (through them at least!). The DVD25 looks good value at the moment, but I really really need JPEG support.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...........