1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daft problem relating to Firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Hiddenmission, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have got through quite a few problems, but finally installed my PCI card and feeling very pleased with myself. Device Manager confirms that it has been installed (IEEE 1394 Host Controller - "This device is working properly"). I am nearly home and dry.

I connect the DV cable supplied with the PCI card to one of the newly installed Firewire ports, switch on the camcorder, set it to "play" (as in playback mode) and... nothing happens. The PC does not appear to be detecting the camcorder, in fact WMM tells me that a video capture device is not detected. This feels like a no-brainer, but what am I doing wrong?

I've tried using both of the firewire ports, checking connections, switching things on and off, etc. No drivers were supplied with the card, so am assuming that XP is equipped with the correct drivers. Camcorder manual and PC manual not exactly helpful, so am assuming that there is no hidden trickery involved.

HELP! (It's a JVC GR-D23) :confused:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you confirmed DV port on JVC ok, ie. connect to another DV camera, it might save hours of xp frustration

4. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies - I don't think this is a WMM problem - I sense that the PC is not detecting the camera when I connect it up. When I open the My Computer panel, shouldn't it show something present under "Devices with removable storage" if it was detecting it correctly? Taht's what it does with my digi camera's USB connection.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of trying another DV camera. I can't think of anything else I have access to that has a firewire connection.

Grateful for any other suggestions...

5. scragend

scragend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a different FireWire cable if you have one. I had the same problem as you when I first connected my camera via the cable that came with the PCI card - just couldn't get the PC to recognise the camera at all.

I then got a new, "better" FireWire cable and it worked no problem.

6. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip, scragger, I'll give it a whirl.

7. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always take your camera to a retailer and pretend you are interested in buying a DVD recorder with DV input,but you want to make sure it works with your JVC camera :D

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Take you camera to a friends house (assuming they have a PC with firewire) and plug it into theres. I did this after hours and hours messing with windows only to realise the camera (VX2100) was faulty. I'm still waiting to get it back from Sony.

FireWire should be a no hassle, problem free Plug and Play device.

But there are enumerator patches if you look on the MS website.

9. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers BadAss, that's a helpful suggestion. Worryingly, there appear to be well established problems of this kind with JVC cameras - check this out:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t111245.html

Would not have bought JVC if I had read this first.