1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAEWOO DP-42SP from Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ntranced, Aug 12, 2004.

1. ntranced

ntranced
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a DP-42SP from Richer Sounds for £1400, after looking at the Techwood and a Goodmans model a friend got from Argos while they were selling them at £1499.

While I'm extremely happy with it (albeit I'm no expert) I am troubled by the quality of the sky+ picture. DVD is outstanding, and I'm aware that sky+ do compress the picture a little etc etc (and it has settled a bit as the days go on as well).

However, I was under the impression that SVHS was a better connection than Scart, and as the DAEWOO has no Scart connection (has virtually everything else) I have no choice but to use SVHS. Is there a better way to do it? Can I get a Scart board? is there a Scart to RGB lead or something? Or will it not make any difference anyway?

Thanks in advance, haven't seen the Daewoo mentioned on here a lot so if anyone does want any info on it for some bizarre reason feel free to ask ;)

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    My understanding is that SCART is a connection specification not a video signal standard. Typically SCART cables can carry composite, S-video or RGB signals with composite being the crudest form of signal and RGB just edging out infront of S-video in terms of PQ. Ignoring VGA and the latest formats of DVI/HDMI usually the best pictures come from a component feed (3 RCA phono connectors usually coloured red, green & blue). So whilst your Daewoo does not have any SCART sockets, strange for a euro spec set, you should be able to make use of the other sockets to good effect assuming they're not all composite inputs (single yellow RCA phono connector).

S.

3. ntranced

ntranced
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed. But bearing in mind my lack of a physical Scart socket on the plasma iteslef, how would you suggest I best make a connection from my sky+ ?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What connections does it have? It's hard to find a spec for this one, no web info to speak of. List the connectors, and a suggestion will be forthcoming. S-VHS is not too shabby usually, but can be improved upon.

5. ntranced

ntranced
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has 1 PC/VGA input, 2 component A/V jacks (RGB?), 2 S-Video Inputs and thats it (excluding the speaker outputs and an RS-232C port).

I know there are scart -> component cables around, I just don't know if this will be worth buying if it won't improve on the quality from the S-Video?

Thanks

6. bifkin

bifkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the Keene syncblaster scart to 5-BNC connector on my daewoo dp42sp and it didnt work at all ,tried 2 cables, maybe it has no support without the Daewoo tuner box which has scart in and can be bought from daewoo. Help line : 0870 1002525 (they will give info and contact details to whoever is selling the tuners)