Daewoo Displays Profile 2.0 Player

peterweg

Ex Member
Reaction score
Posted August 30, 2007 by Josh

IFA

Daewoo has revealed the first Blu-ray disc player to support Profile 2.0, meaning it supports all the features of Profile 1.1 (like Picture-in-Picture) as well as access for web-enabled content. Not much was revealed about the DBP-1000, but we do know that it will support 1080p output via HDMI. No price or release date were announced at this time.

And because I've seen at least one of you ask for it, the DBP-1000 does feature a blue mirror front.

More here, including a picture.
dae_dbp1000_1.jpg

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/30/ifa_daewoo_bluray/

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for me Blu-ray certainly design by far the most beutiful looking players.

Good news on the Daewoo profile 2.0 player but it needs a release date and price to be really meaningful.

Interesting that all we have heard about for weeks is Cedia yet everything seems to be being annouced at IFA, something I'd hardly heard mentioned.

Sony Announces New Blu-ray Player

Posted August 30, 2007 by Josh

IFA Sony has announced the BDP-S500 Blu-ray disc player, the high-end version of the already available BDP-S300. It will support 1080p24/60 video and 7.1 audio output, as well as a motorized front panel. The new player will also support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD internal decoding, and will also pass the bit stream for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD via HDMI v1.3 to a capable receiver. No price or release date has been set at this time.

The player looks strikingly similar to the Panasonic DMP-BD10 (mostly due to the front panel which conceals the Blu-ray drive) and may hint that a new Panasonic model will be announced soon as well.

Sony also announced that a copy of the Spider-man Trilogy on Blu-ray would be included in the purchase of either the BDP-S300 or BDP-S500, but since this announcement was made in Germany, we are trying to confirm if this deal only applies to Europe or if it will be extended worldwide.

Google for links.

http://www.golem.de/0708/54446.html

BDP-S300 599Euro
BDP-S500 899Euro

Apparantly the toshiba players do not approach the sony therefore their not concerned about price.....

Hey if I knew you'd posted all the new BD players in one I would have saved myself the trouble, lol.

Good work peterweg. :thumbsup:

I love the way this is 2.0 compliant when 1.1 isn't even out yet!

I love the way this is 2.0 compliant when 1.1 isn't even out yet!

I think it's because this was more of a demonstration of what is to come rather than an announcement like the other players.

The amount of CE support Blu-ray had at IFA was fantastic though severely tempered by the fact that all the players are still profile 1.0. Really disappointing that this is the case especially as the majority of the general public who buy one of these players won't realise. It's not even something that is listed in the specs of the players, you have to work to find out.

I think it's because this was more of a demonstration of what is to come rather than an announcement like the other players.

The amount of CE support Blu-ray had at IFA was fantastic though severely tempered by the fact that all the players are still profile 1.0. Really disappointing that this is the case especially as the majority of the general public who buy one of these players won't realise. It's not even something that is listed in the specs of the players, you have to work to find out.

The frustrating thing is that the BD studios then plug future titles with interactive and web enabled features i.e. PIP etc. This is a bit misleading because I don't think they mentioned (I may wrong) that the players being announced at IFA and realeased shortly will not support these features. :confused:

AVI

. It's not even something that is listed in the specs of the players, you have to work to find out.

Which means that

especially as the majority of the general public who buy one of these players won't realise.

Which means the BDA can get away with

severely tempered by the fact that all the players are still profile 1.0.

Cynical? Me?

The frustrating thing is that the BD studios then plug future titles with interactive and web enabled features i.e. PIP etc. This is a bit misleading because I don't think they mentioned (I may wrong) that the players being announced at IFA and realeased shortly will not support these features. :confused:

AVI

ItÂ’s called rubbing salt into the woundÂ…..

AVI

Indeed especially since the new BDA ad or maybe it's a Sony ad not 100% sure states that their interactivity is next gen and that HD-DVD interactivity is limited, so buying Blu-ray will give you a happy HD-TV. It's not strictly a lie but it's misleading and dishonest.

While BD-J is obviously very powerful and offers nearly limitless possibilitys I can't help but think choseing it was a mistake. If they had gone with HDi they would still have Microsoft with them rather than against them, Warner wouldn't have many of it's big titles currently HD-DVD only and it would have gone a decent way to avoiding this profile mess. If the samsung dual format player had been profile 1.1 then the BDA would have been getting the money from 20 or 30 disk sales from me alone over the holiday season.

While BD-J is obviously very powerful and offers nearly limitless possibilitys I can't help but think choseing it was a mistake. If they had gone with HDi they would still have Microsoft with them rather than against them, Warner wouldn't have many of it's big titles currently HD-DVD only and it would have gone a decent way to avoiding this profile mess. If the samsung dual format player had been profile 1.1 then the BDA would have been getting the money from 20 or 30 disk sales from me alone over the holiday season.

BD-J does appear to present a problem for the current players (apart from PS3) when used more creatively and that's without any of the additional 1.1 type features.

The issue appears to be the lack of processing power needed to support these features. There is a thread on here that shows the times taken to load certain titles on a range of players. Even to just watch the movie the disc can take take 2-3 minutes to load on some machines and that's just using stanard BD-J. :(

AVI

Even to just watch the movie the disc can take take 2-3 minutes to load on some machines and that's just using stanard BD-J. :(

AVI

My understanding is that with some disc/player combinations it can take very long time for the Java content to load. If you get tired of waiting and try to 'Fast Forward' you interrupt the Java loading which causes some machines lock up, necessitating a reload and/or a power off/rebooting.

My understanding is that with some disc/player combinations it can take very long time for the Java content to load. If you get tired of waiting and try to 'Fast Forward' you interrupt the Java loading which causes some machines lock up, necessitating a reload and/or a power off/rebooting.

Jave is always slow to load - I work in IT and have always found it to be a slow beast - especially when using stdout (ie interacting with the user on screen). I think the longest part is the loading of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine).

It had so many promising features - which never came to be on the whole.

Cheers

Lawrenso

BD-J does appear to present a problem for the current players (apart from PS3) when used more creatively and that's without any of the additional 1.1 type features.

The issue appears to be the lack of processing power needed to support these features. There is a thread on here that shows the times taken to load certain titles on a range of players. Even to just watch the movie the disc can take take 2-3 minutes to load on some machines and that's just using stanard BD-J. :(

AVI

I read an article by the Dragons Lair creator where he said the PS3's BD-J implementation was perfect.

I read an article by the Dragons Lair creator where he said the PS3's BD-J implementation was perfect.

I don't have any major issues with regard to opertational performance on the PS3 even with the BD-J discs. They do take longer to load at about 43 seconds. I guess the question is if it takes a machine with the performance potential of a PS3 to achieve 43 seconds what does this mean for standalone in respect of BD-J.

It will be interesting to see if Sony release a profile 1.1 upgrade later in the year to underpin their PS3 "Blu-ray advanced features" push.

AVI

This reviewer obviously feels that Dragon's Lair is not without problems even on the PS3:

There are supposed to be "motion guides" available that let you know when to take an action. These do not seem to work reliably on a Sony PS3. During the game there are some points where flashes of light indicate recommended directions, but these are fairly inconsistent. Knowing when you need to act is pure guesswork and this makes gameplay more difficult than it should be.

However I'm sure the PS3 is the best Blu-ray platform for any Java intensive disc.

Given the almost total silence about 1.1 at IFA, surely the outlook for existing and forthcoming BD standalones coping with such discs is not good?

Currently and for the foreseeable future, there really seems to be little reason to buy any other Blu-ray player apart from the PS3.

im puzzled that there havent been more 1.1 players announced, but its good to see so many different manufacturers picking up HD, the breadth of support is very good.

What about Blu-ray PC drives are they capable of doing profile 1.1?

I would assume they are because it's the software that drives them?

Am I right or way off?

What about Blu-ray PC drives are they capable of doing profile 1.1?

I would assume they are because it's the software that drives them?

Am I right or way off?

I would say "way off". I don't believe 1.1. has any impact on the "drive element" it's the video processing (decoding) and extra storage. If the PC has the appropriate video HW and/or software it may well me possible to achieve 1.1.

AVI

Sorry Avi I don't think I was clear.

I was saying that I believe a blu-ray drive in a PC may well be able to achieve 1.1 depending on what software is installed (and graphics card) is this right?

Sorry Avi I don't think I was clear.

I was saying that I believe a blu-ray drive in a PC may well be able to achieve 1.1 depending on what software is installed (and graphics card) is this right?

I guess the drive is a drive and isn't any profile. Providing the other elements that are required support 1.1 or 2 are presnt I don't see why the drive would prevent it. :)

AVI

Daewoo surprised everyone by unveiling a Blu-ray player supporting Profile 2.0, which means that the player supports picture-in-picture (PiP) functionality, as well as web-enabled interactivity (BD-Live). The player comes in two models, the DBP-1000 and DBP-2000, with the only difference being that the DBP-1000 comes with a blue-hued front and the DBP-2000 comes in black. The players, which come in a 55mm slim design (2.17 inches), feature 1080p/24, HDMI v1.3 and are backwards compatible with DVD and CD.
The Daewoo representative said that they plan to release it worldwide in Q1 2008, possibly as early as January. As for the price they could only give ballpark figures, but they basically said way less than €1,000 and that it could be less than €500.

Good news :smashin:

Was shown at IFA last week, unfortunatly no date or price was shown, it was more a demonstration rather than a player annoucement like the others.

If it has a date and price now then it's great news? if its just a cedia version of what we saw at IFA then not so much.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom