1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daewoo 42" Plasma now 3.5k online

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sw25481, Aug 23, 2001.

1. sw25481

sw25481

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe it or not it is now possible to buy a Daewoo 42" Plasma online for £3.5k including VAT at a number of places, (search on <a href="http://www.google.co.uk)." target="_blank">www.google.co.uk).</a>

This has become something I can at last afford, but try as I might, I can't find anywhere to go and see one. The distributor, based in Fleet, has one I can go and see, but he obviously has nothing I can compare it against and does not know anybody neer me who has one I can see. There are a couple of reviews online that are pretty complementary of the panel with comments like "great colour" and "fantastic price", but they both end up with a sort of "close but no cigar" raiting. What they do not say is if that is because they don't think the panel matches up to the latest £7k panels, ( I saw a Fujitsu £7k panel at a shop recently and it was so unbelievably good it changed my opinions of panels for ever, but as I don't have £7k to spend on a TV that is a bit of a mute point), or if they are suggesting it is not quite worth it at any price. At half that price of the Fujitsu I am sure the Daewoo can't be expected to match up, but I have no idea what to expect.

Has anybody seen one of these Daewoo's somewhere and could they describe in any detail how good they are compared with whatever the competition was at the time.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    In my previous job I spoke to several installation companies who considered the Daewoo for commercial work. The price difference makes it very attractive when the client starts to squeeze the budget.

Many considered the picture lacked dynamic punch compared to the current crop of plasma from the major players. For home cinema this may not be as much of an issue.

At the end of the day, if you are happy with the performance for the price then go ahead and buy.

Regards

3. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Fujitsu 4214 is available at Hi FI Confidential in London for about £4,800 inc VAT and I think is a better bet.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll also get the Fujitsu for around that from Gultronics Tottenham Court Rd. Much better bet.

Daewoo, if you haven't got anything to compare it against will obviously wow you but it's biggest flaw is "blacks" and the candle factor, it's contrast is said to be 500:1. On actual viewing that's optimistic. You may get away with it on some movies but soon you'll be wishing you had spent that extra money on the Fujitsu. The contrast factor is all important on Plasma's, it's what gives the picture that quality edge

5. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try out <a href="http://www.ivojo.co.uk" target="_blank">www.ivojo.co.uk</a> or <a href="http://www.w2fm.com" target="_blank">www.w2fm.com</a> . Both seem to have some the best prices around at the moment.

Save your money and go for the Fujitsu