Dad needs help!

thevr6

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gents

Im afraid this isnt my field, so I am leaving it to the good people of "your lot" lol

Basically my Dad has phoned me up today saying he wants a new separates system. Cd-player/Amp/Dab Tuner/Turntable and speakers.

He wants me to give him 3 different systems so that he can make a decision, £300, £450, and £550.

He doesnt want any flashing lights, just good quality sound!

Where do i start? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

I really doubt that any seperates system will meet that criteria. I think perhaps you should be looking at the Teacs or Denon hi fi's although I could not specifically give you an example, they are all very good.

I have a dab radio and find the sound is nowhere near as good as FM.
I very recently found online and purchased the Creative unit on lowestonwebsite here.
http://www.lowestonweb.com/products...P=KNC-GOOGLE&gclid=CNeElPr-nogCFSlbEQodaTLkMQ

I do not regret it at all and I am an older man with adult grandchildren who agree with me and want to buy them themselves. Read the customer reviews and you will see it compares favourably with the Bose which is much dearer.
The unit is only small but the sound is fantastic. It also allows you to set the base and treble sounds and the sound quality and clarity is amazing. I am pleased that I can dispense with the space occupying separate units and still fill the room with quality sound, if fact I have to keep it on low volume as I don't want to annoy the neighbours but the sound is still clear.
It really is as good as all the reviews say on the site.
My advice is "Forget the separates and have this unit for quality and you can also move it room to room.
I forgot to mention it does not have dab radio but this is no loss and the closing of FM broadcast is still 6 or 7 years in the future I think.
Oh! delivery is free and prompt too.
Another thought no turntable but I converted my discs to MP3 which play well on the unit.
I did not mention that this has FM radio and aux input at the front also earphone facilities and outputs etc at the rear so I should think you could connect a turntable.
Don't uderestimate this item many, including me and I have tried the Bose, prefer the Creative and it's under £200 delivered.

thanks gents! i honestly thought he could get something for that sort of money! are there no other options?

thanks gents! i honestly thought he could get something for that sort of money! are there no other options?

you are probably better off checking out richer sounds, they do deal bundles, but if you call the branch they might be able to tailor some packages for you

The best advice I can give is to reduce the number of items you buy initially. Buying an amp, CD player and speakers to begin with and adding items later is much more likely to result in something that is worth holding on to. In this instance £450-500 would get this with this or this (please be aware I work for Cambridge Audio- there are of course some other options) with speakers such as these. Tuner and turntable could follow for a very smart sounding system indeed.
Ed

Hi Pete

At the risk of inviting other members to support/criticise my suggestion, how would you feel about recommending an all-in-one system to your pops?

What Hi-Fi is currently raving about the Onkyo CR515DAB micro system and even gave it the product of the year accolade in the 2006 awards.

For £300 (rrp) it has a cd player, dab tuner and speakers. My thinking is you could add a turntable...

Have a hunt around for reviews and try to organise an audition.

Good luck!

Imi

For the sort of money and features, I agree that the Onkyo, Denon, or Yamaha micros are probably what you'll be looking at rather than seperates. But none have T/T's and you'll need to check if they have a phono stage to accept a T/T input.

thanks so much for the ideas, funny enough i have just purchased the onyko 515 and its a great hifi for the bedroom! i think i might reccomend that one just for the fact it hits everything aprt from the turntable and im sure he can find one of those himself! lol
i will let you know how i get on, we shall see! :)

Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom