1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAC's: What is the equal of the DAC 64?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Knightshade, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi All,
    The 64 is my benchmark DAC at the moment. Does anyone think anything matches up to (or betters) the DAC 64 for less money? e.g. offerings from MF etc? If so what and why?
    I'm interested in prices and performance and whether they are very transport dependent or not.

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know about cheaper but the Audio Synthesis Dax Decade with Black Gate caps is worth checking out. When I auditioned the Dax Discrete as an upgrade to the Decade I wanted to hear the Dac 64 but the dealer said not to bother as it was a backward step, would have liked to have heard it for myself though.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks Gary,
    May have to check that one out. It looks like the retail is about £2500.

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd try to find a California Audio Lab "Alpha" valve DAC,was about £1500 new,about £400 now,company went bust a few years ago unfortunately,but a truly exellent sound.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The one that would interest me would be the Benchmark DAC-1 Knighsthade, totally immune from jitter (OK I dont think DACs suffer from jitter as much as is made out) I mean people are leaving DAC 64s for £100 basic DACs. But its connection spec is pretty good IMHO. The manufacturer literature makes a big deal about its toatl lack of transport sensitivity to jitter, mind you Chord said that until they devleoped a £4000 CD transport. Seriously though I think for connections alone its worth a case out.

The CAL Labs as SF says are very well thought of.

As for the MF DACs Ive always liked them, although their man. directors belief that their X-DAC V3 is the best DAC on the planet gives a wincing rebuke in my book. They all vary dude. You should get £1300 easy for your 64, I would also check out the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 Ive heard good vibes about that too. Audio Synthesis always get glowing vibes, one worth a check too would be the Derek Shek Non OS DAC not sure how that compares to your TDA DAC.

Me I'll stick to some ancient TAG processing ... still rocking the free world to these ears IMHO.

Whats up with your 64 BTW ? I recall when that unit was let loose on the DAC market to triumphant fanfare.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    I'd wildcard with a Tube Technologies CDA64 (which can be built as a DAC to order) which even as a CD player carries two digital inputs and is simply the best CD player I have ever heard. The partner to my future Sugden methinks :D.

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are you using the DAC 64 with the CD12 or the Sony DVD?

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the replies, as I was expecting some varied answers all coming down to what you like.

Thanks, i'll take a look.
    I bought one to compare and the digital password one that was kicking around. Both sound similar (after upgrading to Black gates in the D/P unit - which brought the prices about the same). If you own a 64 you won't dash out and buy one. They're good but not great.
    I sold them the other week, great DAC but not that great.....;)

9. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons of fun - I never heard of a CD player with digital inputs before - sounds interesting. I googled for it but cannot find any information at all - can you point me somewhere useful! Also, does anyone know any other CD players with digital ins?
    Sorry - this post is slightly :offtopic:

Jimmy_b

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Jimmy :

Moon Eclipse has digital inputs
    Quad 99 CD-Pre had 6 digital inputs (all toslink)
    Audio Analgoue Maestro CDP has digital inputs
    I think a fair amount of Wadia CDPs also have digital inputs
    There a few more I cant recall of the top of my head.

Oh and the most spankingly stunning Toshiba SD-9500 DVD-A player has 2 digital inputs (RCA SPDIF & Toslink) that sound very nice to these ears. Nothing like getting a CD/DVD player that can be used as a DAC as well.

All can be used as DACs from other digital devices.

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
  12. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - I guess I could have guessed the web address - must be half asleep.

I'll hand this thread back to Mr. Knightshade now.... :)

Jimmy

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You could also take a look at the Perpetual Technologies P1A/P3A(esp the Dan Wright upgraded DAC),which has a different sound,but easily equals the DAC64....IMHO of course!

This one also is pretty much independent of transport and jitter levels,and has the "bonus" of a proper upsampling/interpolation unit,which really does add to the sound quality.