DACs in the AVR750 and AVR450?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spl23, Aug 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Has anyone got any information on the DACs and other internals of the new receivers? Particularly what DACs are used in the 750 and 450? I can find nothing on Arcam's site or anywhere else on the web.

I'm considering buying one of the two receivers, and spec-wise there is very little to justify the almost doubling of the price between the 450 and 750 - an extra 10 wpc really doesn't seem worth another £1800 of anyone's money - so I was wondering if the 750 has any other improvements, such as higher quality DACs. The HDMI board will presumably be identical, so there will be nothing to choose between them on video, and I'd guess any DSP will be the same between the two designs - so all I can see that might be different is power amps and DACs.

2. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not sure exactly what Dac is used, they are the same in both models i believe. Its the power supply and power amps are very different in the 2 receivers , the power figures are a bit irrelevant really as the 750 uses class G amplification rather than A/B type in the 450. That means the Avr750 has a pure Class A output for most listening but can switch to A/B instantly when you want to ply really loud! It's cleaver stuff ...i bought the 750 btw coming from a 600 its been a stunning performer since i got it about a month ago now.

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I'm not an expert, but that's not what I understand by class G amplification - class G means that you have additional power rails at higher voltage than the standard power rails which are switched into the circuit by additional output transistors when required. Class A or AB indicates how the output transistors are biased - a class G setup can be either class A or class AB; I don't think it switches between class A and class AB at any point.

Nonetheless, if the only difference between the 450 and the 750 is that the power amps are class G, that's a hard price difference to justify. At two extra transistors per channel, that's over £100 a transistor... ;-)

4. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well good luck with what ever you pick.