1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DACs contribution to sound quality?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by braidkid, Apr 22, 2005.

1. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a Denon DVD-2910 player to go along with my Yamaha HTR-5790 receiver. I noticed a dramatic improvement in sound using 6 channel analog inputs rather than digital to the receiver. Bass is much tighter/less boomy and there is much more clarity in the highs. In comparison, using digital connection, the Yamaha sounds muffled, while using analog, the Denon sounds much more airy and detailed.

I'm trying to figure out the weak link in the receiver and why analog connections sound so much better. I know that Yamaha uses AKM DACs while Denon uses Burr-Brown DACs. Could this be the difference I'm hearing? What else besides the DACs would contribute to the Denon's superior sound reproduction over the Yamaha receiver?

2. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You have hit the nail on the head. The DACs contribute a hell of a lot to the sound also bear in mind in the Yamaha the enviroment that the DAC's operate is more hostile in terms of more electronic noise from the electronics running the power amps etc.

I have a 3910 and a 3805 and I use the Decoder / DACs in the 3910 for all processing except 6.1 DVDs and the sound is better this way.

3. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    so using a 2910 and AX757 am i best to connect them using the 6 channel analogue and then make the 2910 do the prcessing or should i get both leads and experiment?!

4. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well if you can justify the cost of some decent analoge leads it's alway's worth experimenting :D

I had to buy the leads as I wanted SACD from the 3910 so I just tried what was suggested on this and other forums.