DacMagic cuts out

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by czechmaniac77, Feb 1, 2009.

1. czechmaniac77

czechmaniac77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So i just bought the new Cambridge DacMagic.I must say it's one of the best pieces of equipment i have bought in a long time.Sounds better then it has any right to at it's selling price.I am however having one small issue with it.It occasionally cuts out for a split second, by which i mean that i lose the digital signal and the sample rate led flashes.It doesn't happen too often(couple times on each cd).At the moment i am running it off of a Yamaha receiver and Yamaha dvd player through a QED 75ohm digital coax cable.Speaker wire is also QED.Proper amp and Wadia ipod dock are on the way.Strangely it also happened today when i turned on my garbage disposal , or when i turned my receiver off and on.I haven't had such a thing happen with any other equipment in my place but that being said most of the other gear i have owned had a full size power supply ,and not a small wall wart type like the one that comes with the DacMagic.Could this be that it's not getting enough juice? Keep in mind i'm in Canada and we use the crappy 120v electrical structure here.:rolleyes:I am fairly ignorant when it comes to electrical things so any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    strange i have someting similar but when using a channel with coax and a camera flash goes off it loses sound.

but if the channel is on optical input it does not.

But as i only got mine yesterday i am still working with it.

3. czechmaniac77

czechmaniac77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's funny thenicklouse mine works better on coaxial then optical.I have been playing it about half the day today and it hasn't cut out once.I left it on overnight though.I think it's a case of not getting enough power(small psu combined with 120v system).It seems to cut out only when i first turn it on.I am thinking that a power conditioner will be the ticket in my case.That or leaving it on all the time.Btw wait until you get some ours on it.This is one of the most analog sounding components i have heard in a really long time.Kudos to Cambridge, you really hit the nail on the head with this one.Whoever designed this thing should get a raise.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  4. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    when running it Coax from the CDP and running the CDP direct as wel i could not tell the difference.

But i did not get it for the CDP but for the media streamer and net radio which i have been using via optical to the DAC for now. will have to have a go with the coax later.

5. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Have you checked the co-ax/optical interconnect cable isn't playing up?

6. nickhor

nickhor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    this might be it
    if you have coax and optical in same digital channel it cuts out
    nick

7. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    i had exactly the same thing as have a few others. mine is absolutely fine now as I changed from a very short coax to an optical cable.

8. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Had the same problem the first few days on a long coaxial cable sound would cut out for a split second. but not nothing. I also use a good optical cable and prefer the sound which is crystal clear.:smashin:

9. jbloggs

jbloggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What good quality optical cable do you recommend using with the DACMagic?

Thanks. :smashin:

10. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    mines a thomson brand and looks like quite good quality, whatever you buy dont buy a cheap quality one the good ones are good quality fiberglass. not cheapo plastic ones.

11. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
  12. jbloggs

jbloggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for your replys....

13. Doctor Jump

Doctor Jump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the exact same problem happening on 2 different Dacmagics at random (e.g. the 1st unit cut out frequently at first and then stopped doing it after I arranged for an exchange. The second unit worked fine at first and then started dropping the sound, especially when the system was first turned on).

I have been working with the retailer to figure out the problem. They contacted Cambridge engineers who apparently state that they have had only a few reports of this problem in the US and several more in Europe. They believe it is an "environmental" problem like other electrical or electronics turning on and off, or RF interference. First, the retailer agrees that this doesn't make sense given the pattern I'm experiencing. Second, I've tried turning off everything that I can think of, including the computers, wireless, etc. At this point, I'm trying to eliminate the sound source as being the problem (a Q Sonix music server) which only has a coax digital output (no optical). My CD player has both types of output, so I hooked it up via a coax cable. Of course, at this moment, both sources are working flawlessly thru the dacmagic again (aarggh!):confused:

14. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    i can definitely say that it was the coax connection in my Dacmagic. i experienced these issues when I first got it so switched to optical and have been using for >6 months flawlessy. Out of interest the other day I plugged my coax cable back in and the stutter/drop-out returned.
    definitely not environmental!

15. Doctor Jump

Doctor Jump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done some more experimenting and found out that it is at least part environmental, and part due to one of my music sources. My Qsonix music server only has a coax digital output (and its built in dac is of low grade). I discovered that if I turned one of the lamps on in my room, it would cause the datastream to drop as noted. My Tascam cd player has both an optical and a coax digital output and it turns out that neither of these outputs were affected by the same lamp nor anything else for that matter. Hence, the problem seems to be the music source in combination with the dacmagic (never had the problem with its analog outputs) and the environment. I am conjecturing and hoping that the random drop outs were due to an old flourescent ballast that was in that lamp. Thus, I replaced it with an incandescent bulb and leave the lamp off. So far, it seems to be working, but time will tell. Thanks for your observations as well. I'll post again if I get any other observations or ideas.

16. Pjalchemist

Pjalchemist
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry to revive an old topic but i too have had this problem from last night when i got my DAC out the box from Richer Sounds. I just been and got a replacement no hassle and it too is doing the same.

17. Doctor Jump

Doctor Jump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I give up on DacMagic, which is too bad since it gets great reviews, I like its sound, especially at its price. However, after replacing the power supply, trying a different source with a different line and input, 2 DacMagics, etc, etc. the jitters continue with the coax input only. For me, the jitters occur frequently at the beginning of a listening session, then become less frequent as time passes. I even left the unit on overnight to see if that would change things, and it didn't. Therefore, for some reason in my situation the DacMagic has problems with the data stream with coax inputs only, and especially at the beginning of a listening session (e.g. 7 drop outs for the first song). I bought it at Spearit Sound who has been trying hard to help me, but it looks like I will have no recourse but to try a different brand. Obviously, this isn't a super common problem or dealers would stop selling it. However, it's susceptible to something that I and others haven't figured out yet.

18. johnbhoy#

johnbhoy#
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also have this problem. It cuts out occassionaly. I was blaming my pc though. I am using long optical cable.I am going to try two different things. A long coax cable and if this does not work then buy a replacement soundcard from pc. I initially thought it may be the soundcard on the pc that was causing the problem.All my music and movies come from the pc into the dacmagic. For some reason i seem to have the problem more with certain media players on the pc... IE foorbar seems to run pretty flawlessly and i have not had a problem with the sound cutting out for a very long time and i use it quite a lot... I do however suffer drop outs when watching movies.. This is done via xbmc with mpc-hc as external player.

I have tried the following things to try and sort it out but these are all guesswork and just trying things to see what works.

As foobar seems to be fine i tried changing the audio output modules on mpc-hc. picking the direct wave output module for my soundcard and then also using ac3 filter to play the audio as 2 channel audio.

I was also wondering if fact 44khz audio seems to play fine but the 48khz for the movies is the one thats causing problems. Could it be something to do with how the dacmagic handles the stream it receives before it upsamples it ?? Reason i was wondering about this is that my soundcard also has analouge outs. When the sound cuts out on the dacmagic via optical feed. I can still get sound out of the analogue outs. This i suppose could point to a crappy optical cable.

I have also hooked up the V+ box to the other optical in and that seems to work fine. But i understand that this will be a 48khz feed yet it works fine.

i also tried moving the soundcard in the pc to a different pci slot. This actually made a very good difference and i had no audio drop outs for ages. I had to move it back down one space again though due to fact it was starting to suffer from noise from the fan on the graphics card as they were very very close together.

i admit i seem to be waffling now about things it could or could not have been.. its bloody annoying though... . to sum up for me though. When the audio cuts out when watching a movie. Closing and restarting the application usually resolves it... a pc reboot always resolves it. switching dac magic on and off again makes no difference. So using that logic. I "THINK" its a problem with the dac magic choking on the feed you are giving it. As switching feed off then back on again stops the problem. Again as someone has already pointed out . local environment issues may well be the reason this happens but there are so many variables for this. The power issue may be something. IE the pc uses more power to watch movies than it does to play audio. Could this be affecting the power drawn from the pci bus that the soundcard is attached to??

ahhh see it could be anything... at least music is working fine for me.

Still love it though . its just a minor irritation for me.