Dacmagic 2 Pass through ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mike-M, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Can anyone tell me if the Digital out on the above is a pass through. And if it is would it pass DD and DTS to an AV Amp.

2. steve bullock

steve bullock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would also like to know the answer to this question, and by pass through does it mean the signal is completely untouched?

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Guys I am pretty sure this stuff has been tocuhed upon in the sticky at the top of the page albeit with a TAG DAC 20 you'll need to dig deep and work your way through the sticky, I own a DACMagic 2i II but I dont own a DD/DTS able amp to try for you. DD should in theory just be "packeted" through the CA DAC the only problem you may face is sending a DTS signal through a PCM DAC like the CA, the resultant white noise if you accidentally listen to the DAC through your hifi can damage your speakers. I once did it with an old MF X24K. I do recall with the DAC 20 I owned that the data was re-timed via the recovery units, thus lowering jitter then sent out thru the digital outputs, not sure what happens with the CA as John Westlake did not write as informative white papers as TAG did about the technology they designed and sold, a la DAC 20.

Fine DAC BTW, £100 ish, built like a tank, nice roster of inputs, 2 anlg outputs, 1 RCA - 1 Balanced XLRs, lovely piece of kit.