Answered DAC - yamaha DSP A1 versus Marantz CD6006 uk edition

PSTC2

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 Av receiver which i bought new in the late nineties and is still in an immaculate condition. Using this mainly for home cinema but also as an amplifier to listen to music from CD's played through a DVD player namely the Sony DVP-S715.

I have just received as a present a Marantz CD6006 uk edition CD player but I am still deciding on the best way of hooking up the Marantz to my Yamaha and was wondering which has a better DAC. Should I connect it to my amp using the analogue signal decoded using the Marantz CD6006 unit or using a Toslink connecting to my Yamaha DSP-A1 and using the DAC on the Amp to produce the final signal?

Thanks for any comments

Philip

Connect with both, switch from one input to the other with a song you know well. That should give you your answer

The DAC in the Marantz is very good. I have a 6006 and the Marantz sa8005 SACD player, both share the same DAC. There is a difference in quality between the 6006 and the more expensive 8005 and I believe that is down to the analogue circuits and components used. With both players and sound is very detailed.

If you have a spare pair of RCAs then connect up both the 6006 and the Yamaha and listen to which one you prefer. I only connected my 6006 to my Denon receiver by analogue as I wanted to by-pass as much 'interference noise' as possible. I thought that the 6006 sounded better this way than playing CDs through HDMI from my Pioneer blu ray player.

However I've abandoned my receiver for music and am using the 8005 direct to a Rega stereo amp as I was more than a little disappointed by the Denon's musical performance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom