DAC with an ethernet port and physical volume control?

TB303

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello People,
All of my music in digital (FLAC) and on a DLNA server.
I'm looking for a single device to be able to connect to the network via Ethernet, do DAC and have a volume control (ideally physical) so I could plug it directly into a power amp. And I'd love a good iOS control app.

I'm confused by all the different streamers and think a DAC + Sonos is a lame way of achieving this...

I understand the DAC part is the most important part Sound quality wise so perhaps I should focus there?

Budget is around £1500, would consider used and ex demo too.

Rest of the system will probably be a parasound A21 power amp (250W) -> B&W CM10

Thanks!

Linn Majik DS ex-dem, £1,400 - LINN MAJIK DS MUSIC STREAMER. EX DEMONSTRATION. | eBay. The Linn should comfortably outclass the Sonos, no matter what it's fitted with; you pay, you get.

Physical volume control? All these devices manipulate the volume in the digital domain, not using analogue resister network AFAIK.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 (~£700 new) has a decent DAC and comes with pre-amp. Its volume can be adjusted both by the rotary control knob, as well as via the supplied app, when the pre-amp mode is engaged.

+1 for the Stream magic

Thanks,
I was intrigued by the Chord Hugo but trying to integrate it into my set up with an added seems a head ache...

I did hear the Linn and it's pretty good - I wonder how it compares to the CA Stream Magic 6 - it costs exactly double (an ex-dem linn)

Well, it won't be twice as good...

Perhaps,
But if it's 50% better than that's fine.

I know I may have been happy with the Stream Magic, but would constantly wonder what I'm missing with the Linn... ;-)

On my calculation it should be 47.82% better ...

Seriously though ... trying to put percentages on a subjective improvement is pointless.

Also note there is a new version of the StreamMagic 6 so the old version may be available at a good price.

As an aside, as commented above the volume control on these devices tends to be digital rather than a physical / resistor based control ... you should probably try to balance the level on the A21 so that 100% on the device gives a comfortable maximum level before reducing the volume on the device.

Eloise

Thanks Mate,
I haven't seen any reference to a new version of the Stream Magic 6 - one of my concerns was that it's now almost 3 years old...

I found a great deal on an ex-demo classe (cap2100) integrated so I'm good for amp and volume control.

Well spotted!
Looks interesting - shame you can't do a home demo with Richer Sounds...

I think I'll go with the Linn Majik DS - got a good price on an ex-dem unit, I doubt the new Stream Magic will be better...

Hmmm,

I'm still torn between a dedicated streamer and a standalone dac+Mac mini.

I heard the chord Hugo which sounded great and also read about the benchmark dac which everyone love.

I have an integrated amp so I'm not worried about volume control anymore but would love to be able to use the XLR connections..

Not sure what to do...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom