1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAC to upgrade CD quality?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JH1, Sep 17, 2004.

1. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Been reading a bit about the DAC stuff you've been talking about and just have a couple of questions. I have an Arcam CD73 CD player and when I bought it originally, I planned to upgrade it to the CD93 (or newCD192) in time. Have since heard the Arcam FMJ CD33 which is a great sounding player and this is the level I would like to get my CD replay up to. So here come the questions!!:
    Would I be able to use my CD73 as transport and add a separate DAC which would get it up to the standard of the FMJ player?
    If so, what should I budget for the DAC and not knowing what would be a good or a bad one...what make/model would anyone recommend and ...(don't go away!)...are there dealers that can demo a DAC as I've never seen or been told about one in any dealer store?

Sorry to ask so many questions in one go but this is all new to me!!!! :lease:

Thanks

Jason.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Jason,
    The CD192 is about £850 ish I think that gives you quite a lot to play with.
    If you can run to it try a second hand CHORD DAC 64. (One went on Ebay for £1050 the other day) Now these do tend to be a bit fussy with DVD players but I've never had a problem with a CD player. The quality in sheer musicality of this DAC is second to none IMHO. It may be a bit like overkill on your system at the moment but if you are steadily upgrading your system atleast you'd have the frontend sorted out.
    Well that's my suggestion. There are plenty of others on the market for a lot less, the TAG DAC 20 or the MF Trivista. Both are good DACs and would bring you up to the level of the CD192 and beyond.
    HTH
    Radfords in Bath carry the DAC 64.

3. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sevenoaks do the MF Trivista which I bought last weekend. It is superb. Ther're a couple of DAC 64's on eBay at reasonable prices at the moment.

4. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. I will see if I can get a demo on the DAC 64 and see how the overall improvement compares to the FMJ CD33 player. By the way, I've just upgraded speakers to B&W 704's and after the cd player upgrade I will do something with the amp, as I would like to move all components up a level or two if I can. (Currently have an Arcam A85 integrated).

5. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just about to look on ebay!! Will also give the MF Trivista a look. Out of interest, what have you connected it to and would you be happy to recommend going the DAC route rather than upgrading your player from a sonic improvement point of view?

6. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have connected it to an Arcam AVR300. I may add an integrated or pre/power amp to this in the future if I feel the need to further improve the stereo performance, but to tell you the truth, the performance I'm getting now is miles away from what I had, so I'm very satisfied for now.
    I would have no hesitation in recommending a DAC, but I'm basing that on my experience with the Alpha 7 CD that I had. BUT I did audition a £1000 Primare CD player last year and I really struggled to hear enough of an improvement to make me part with my money. The performance improvement with the MF Trivista DAC, however is like night and day. I don't have to put any effort in listening for improvement, it's just there. Have a read of my post "Sub £1000 CD player: Cyrus CD8 ..??", to see how I started off with the intention of getting a CD player and ended up buying a DAC following some good advice from other members. I actually think that I wouldn't have got this kind of performance from a similarly priced CD player. I'd probably need to spend a lot more (don't know how much more !!)

7. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Think I will start having a look around at some DACS and see how I get on. Had a look at the Chord DAC 64 on ebay, a couple of them at virtually half price, very, very tempted indeed, but still paying off my speaker upgrade at the moment, so need to save a few more pennies yet!!!