DAC to Black

Auralsaga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if I can get more out of my cds by hearing the black, or dead sound in songs as well as all of the intricacies I may be missing, through an external DAC?

I have the following:
  1. Yamaha VX-581 AVR (Burr-Brown 24 bit)
  2. Pioneer Pd-S703 Stable Platter Legato Link CDP (can switch between analogue and digital and it's 20 bit I think) into the above receiver.
  3. Monitor Audio MR6 floorstander speakers (which are also used as part of a 7.1.2 surround system)
  4. Van den Hul Clearwater cables to the Monitor MR6s (not bi-wired)
I usually play cds through the Pioneer (in 2 channel direct, so using the Pioneer's DAC), but I also run a Panasonic UB900 as a bluray player (and used to use it for audio prior to buying the used Pioneer cdp).

So, I do have options! I also have an anologue NAD 3020i Amp but it's not in this current set-up. I did play the Pioneer through it originally and it sounded amazing, but I wanted to incorporate the Pioneer CDP into my current set-up Home cinema/HI-FI and more importantly the MR6 speakers. It doesn't sound quite as good, as there's more in the 'chain'.

My question is:

a) Should I just go with what i've got as I've already 2 DACS available and both are 'good'?
b) Should I try to hook up my NAD amp to my existing set-up and the Pioneer, but still using the Monitor MR6 speakers connected to the Yamaha AVR (MR6s' are used as fronts, so I can't really separate them out?
c) Buy a DAC to run through the Pioneer CDP and would this actually make any discernible difference?

My set-up does sound great, but I'm wondering if an external DAc would make it sound even better?

Thanks very much in advance for any responses.

Cheers,
A

The pick on the CDP will resolve the information and the DAC will simply process it. I've no experience of the Pioneer player except for it's conventional drive. A good mastered CD will have the information there, if it's a poor recording then there's very little that can be done.

For stereo music you have one glaring weak point, the AV amp. If you want to get a better experience with your CDs then you do need to have the CDP direct into an integrated stereo amp. To enable the NAD to be used alongside the Yamaha would need you to run a speaker switcher such as the Beresford 7220. The NAD doesn't have HT by-pass and the Yamaha lacks the requisite pre-outs. You already know the NAD is superior to the Yamaha.

The speaker wire will not make an iota of difference.

I should add that all redbook CDs are 16 bit.

So, for example the Bereford. The instructions seem quite minimal on their website. It only mentions swicthing between speaker set one and two. Obviously, I'd only switch from the surround sound speakers (which the MR6 are a part of) and isolating the MR6s' to operate alone with the NAD amp.

Also, what leads might I need? I have Cambridge Audio RCAs running from the Pioneer into the Yamaha Amp, but no clue as to what other cables i'd have to buy from the Beresford website to connect the 2 amps and one set of speakers.

Cheers,
A

You will need to connect the front stereo pair to the Beresford. The front left and right binding posts on the Yamaha are connected to input A on the Beresford. The NAD's binding posts will be connected to input B. You then manually select A or B depending on what amp you want to listen to. It's quite simple and only requires some more speaker wire.

There is even a simple to understand diagram on the website and instructions

1643628087427.png

Hi all,
Thanks for all of the advice and steers. Sent an email to Stan at Beresford, who was really helpful. I was basically over-complicating things! Switch works brilliantly and nice solid construction. Had a bit of Isaac Hayes on yesterday and sounds amazing.
Cheers,
A

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom