1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAC Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by milanlad, Nov 8, 2004.

1. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What are my options of DACs price region of £200 - £350?

One application will be to use with a Squeezebox.

Thanks

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have a Cambridge Audio S700 collecting dust that I've tried with a couple of PCDP's and one of the Squeezeboxes. It's surprisingly effective. I'm thinking about sticking it inbetween my second SB and the Mini system. Just a shame it's such an unwieldy shape if you don't plan to use it with other separates. I got it used for £70ish I think, could be worth hunting for newer C.A. DACs? (DAC3)?

For new, the Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 seems to be a well regarded machine. It's over your budget at £500 but it incorporate technical features like upsampling as well.

Scott Nixon's TubeDACs could be an intriguing choice. TubeDAC+ is $475 shipped in a rather nasty looking plastic case :p You can Google for a 6moons review of it. www.scott-nixon.com

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    £150-200 : Musical Fidelity X-DAC or X-24K (Recently saw a X-24K+X-PSU For £200 on www.Hififorsale.com) this is a seriously nice sounding DAC (used to have one), I would also be interested in Meridian DACs at the price you should be abloe to pick up a 203 or a 263 DAC for that price. Ive heard good reports of the 263 on other boards.

£200-300 : Audiolab 8000 DAC (Forerunner to the DAC 20 and a decent sounding device), Perpetual Technology P-3A, MSB Link DAC III.

£300-400 : Musical Fidelity A3.24 or a TAG DAC 20, I would opt for a A3.24 over the new DAC from MF which is being hyped beyond belief, also the fact that MF say to get optimum performance you will need a extra PS, save your self the hssle and buy a MF DAC that has the same DAC and a decent PS - A3.24. TAG DAC 20, a very nice device that I wont be replacing in a hurry.

There are loads about TBH, new wise at the mark you are about to spend, I would consider something from PC origins, M-Audios Superdac is well thought of but requires some DIY on the socketry to fit RCAs (it has 3.5minijack + XLR balanced connections), another DAC I have seen at the £400 mark new is from Sonifex in their redbox range that looks interesting.

There are loads about TBH and the suggestions above just scratch the surface. HTHs

Upwards of £500 and it gets really interesting : Ive seen TAV AV32Rs going on this site for £650 now that is a pretty nice DAC + Digital Pre-amp, opens up a new horizon with where your system can go.

2 Sites worth keeping an eye on second hand & ex-demo IMHO are these :

www.hififorsale.com (under free-ads use the search facility and type DAC)
    www.ex-dem.co.uk (again search for DAC)

Also check out the www.audioasylum.com Digital General board for the lastest vibes on digital replay across the pond, as I said PC Audio is having a big impact and DAC are emerging from that arena.

4. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    How do these DACs react when fed with a DVD signal? Do they ignore it and feed it through a digital out or do they try to convert it and create 'white noise'. I am interested in incorporating one into an AV set up but am concerned about damage I could do to my speakers. Am I being paranoid? :eek:

Thanks

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    £150-200 : Musical Fidelity X-DAC or X-24K (Recently saw a X-24K+X-PSU For £200 on www.Hififorsale.com) this is a seriously nice sounding DAC (used to have one), I would also be interested in Meridian DACs at the price you should be abloe to pick up a 203 or a 263 DAC for that price. Ive heard good reports of the 263 on other boards.

CJ, I'm not sure about the x-dac. Used one for a few months and sold it - the dvdp sounded better to me. Also, the 203 & 263 are getting on a bit these days. Do you really think they're still worth buying?

£200-300 : Audiolab 8000 DAC (Forerunner to the DAC 20 and a decent sounding device), Perpetual Technology P-3A, MSB Link DAC III.

AFAIK the audiolab dacs are going for silly money these days, especially the DAX, which seems to be £350 minimum on eBay. A P-3A for £200?? I'll have two please!!

£300-400 : I would opt for a A3.24 over the new DAC from MF which is being hyped beyond belief, also the fact that MF say to get optimum performance you will need a extra PS, save your self the hassle and buy a MF DAC that has the same DAC and a decent PS - the A3.24.

Ain't that the truth :laugh: . The good old MF PR machine in full swing there. £500 for the dac v3, and it comes with a £2 el-cheapo "wall wart" power supply. The cheek!

DT

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Dyn, read an interesting comment in HFN last month that AM of MF reckons the X-DAC V3 is the equivalent of the Trivista (yet only when fitted with a XPSU of course) know cant have a wall wart supplying the power at all can we (worked perfectly well for me with a X-24K FWIW) hype in DAC circles dude Ive long suffered it TBH, being truth anything below £500 I would struggle to advocate anything other than our trusted steed. They all get hyped from one release to the next and lo & behold fall out of favour, like the Audiolabs going for daft prices, eh hello TAGs go from £300-400. :rotfl:

FWIW Ive heard a few good reports of the X-DAC V1 not heard one myself, but the X-24K is a different DAC flavour.

ATB.