1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAC question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by booktrunk, Apr 22, 2004.

1. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I fancy a Cyrus CD8 and Power Supply but cannot afford one :) or a CD33T :) etc... anyway, To get a similar sort of quality of sound...

I realise each model of DAC like each CD player has it's own small differences, but what sort of DAC would I be looking for to get a similar sound to a £1000~ CD Player. It will be going into a Pioneer 757Ai DVD/SACD etc... player.

I'm interested in Second hand stuff probably more then new. So what sort of DAC do you think I should be looking at :)

All help is appreciated because I haven't listened to any DACs.

Steff

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Well I think adding a £400 ish (2nh – exdem) DAC will take you beyond the realms of £1000 int. CD players IMHO these are typically DACs that used to rrp & £800-1200, at that price ones that spring intsantly to mind are : TAGs DAC 20, MF A3.24 Upsampler & Perpetual Techs – P3A. Audiophilia goes through phases, once it was di-rigeur to slag off DACs used off non dedicated CD-transports like DVD players et al, but many of us have stuck with it and still enjoy wonderful CD replay from old model DACs (some of us also don’t buy into how much CD chipset are said to improve every-year), if you want to spend more on DACs then the world is your oyster, given the choice between a int. CD player @ £1200 or a brand new MF Trivista or 2nh Chord DAC 64 I know which one I would have. And think of the very able transport you have there in your system, re-buying a Int. CDPs transport section is a royal waste of your finances IMHO.

Well as with most 2nh kit unless you get a chance to demo in anyones home before you buy you take a risk, but DACs are generally easy to shift for what you pay for them, so an extended demo is not out of the question. You get into &oaks eta l for some demos of MF Kit, and Cyrus are in the process of launching their new £1000 DAC X & £2000 DAC Pre. (Before you conisder a CD8) Anyway some pointers for you to ponder. Do a search above on DACs and get both side of the story. One last thing, I think the enjoyment I get from DVD-V into my 48Khz able DAC is one of the joys of DAC use, there are loads of music DVD-Vs about, and listening ot them on your A22 & a DAC via the 757 may just be more of a hifi experience than using the 5300 for surround.

HTHs

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks CJ :beer:

Steff

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The M-Audio SuperDAC has been receiving a lot of praise on other forums. I mentioned it in the sticky at the top of the forum but have had no comments yet. I've heard several people say it beats the Tag DAC 20.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Daneel

The M-Audio SuperDAC is punted on various forums as a giant killer, I have seen it described also that it can massacre a Chord 64, well that’s fine and dandy, but to me its hype IMHO, sure enough its better than any integrated CD player at the price or double the price, which you have to do, to get the unit to its optimum performance from what I have read, DIYing ie changing out 3.5mm jacks to RCAs, caps & op amps etc, and upgrading the supply unit which all in all adds £200 odd to the unit IIRC. At that level yes it may well outgun a DAC 20 or whatever else, but I would wager that the people saying how good this unit is now, will have it replaced within a couple of years by something else that “blows away some CD player or other”. But certainly worth a punt. One thing that gets the DAC 20 a “hard time” is the £1250 rrp of the unit when new, now it’s a fine DAC to my ears but it should have been sold at £800 rrp, its in the same league at the A3.24 IMHO. So beware of comments such as those about the M-Audio SuperDAC (a lot are actually aimed personally at DAC 20 users which I find quite funny). Ones thing is for certain in my mind : anyone of those DAC mentioned above for £400 is a better bet than a £1000 Int. CDP. YMMV between DACs of course.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    CJ, have you heard a SuperDAC? It still sticks in my mind that I can't tell the difference between my old Marantz CD4000 and the Arcam CD72T I replaced it with :(

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Nope Daneel, but Ive heard plenty of other CD/DACs that I compare my current DAC too and I don’t feel the need to upgrade my old workhorse. Im not saying the Super DAC is a bad unit, far from it just that Im personally sceptical about how good when compared to other digital devices (I really cant be doing with comments like “this” blows “that” away we are all so different in preference, kit we use, room we listen in to make such comments a fallacy TBH) , there is little difference in digital terms at the same price mark CD to CD. FWIW I don’t think there is much between digital sources below £500 TBH (like you are suggesting), they are all pretty similar sounding to me, but above £1000 is when its picks up. Below £1000 I would recommend anyone getting a £300 TT setup, that IMHO outruns CD replay by a country mile, above £1000 and the 2 start to merge into preference of presentation. Anyway some random thoughts. The M-Audio unit is worth considering BTW, I would use one over a £500 CD player anyday, but beware the hype dude. We are not all afflcited with golden ears in this hobby. Good CD is available in many places, ie Soundcards – DACs and the like.

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    £300 TT setup?

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    TurnTable FYI

10. Blue_Max

Blue_Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    M-Audio SuperDAC 2496 is only about £150 now. It is made for the music industry. A much bigger market place than stereo hi-fi. Economies of scale that mass production brings keeps the price down to levels hi-fi industry can only dream of. If it is a ‘hi-fi product’ sold though the hi-fi trade with its big margins, it will have a 'hi-fi price tag' of at least double.

In an attempt to gather together information scattered over the Internet about M-Audio SuperDAC 2496, an email group has just been created. Couple of easy mods with photos and other info such as stockists, reviews, selecting a transport, etc are there already.

Please feel free to post messages, info on modifications, tweaks, ideas, pictures and files.
    Any information you have on this DAC or related to it will be greatly appreciated.

To visit the group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496

Group Email Addresses:
    To post message: M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496@yahoogroups.com
    To subscribe: M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

11. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

I suggest (if you haven't already) you check out This place . You'll find some good stuff on the M-Audio DAC

Adz

12. Blue_Max

Blue_Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Spligsey. I am there :)

Trying to organise info on M-Audio Super DAC in one place.
    Tony has already made his mods available to
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M-Audio_SuperDAC_2496

Another expert has promised to send photos and specs of internal mods he is doing right now.

Could do with a schematic for the Super DAC.
    Does anyone know?

Thanks