Question DAC/player advantages

MaryWhitehouse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently use a Pioneer LX71 Bluray as CD player in my system into a Pioneer VSA-E08 amp which the bi-amps Monitor Audio BX2's. I'm pretty happy with this but have 'the itch'.
I'm wondering about either changing for a pure CD player or using the BD as a transport with an external DAC. When I first set this system up I did try the amp's DAC but preferred the player's. I've a possible budget of £300. I'd happily buy secondhand if enough extra bang for buck.
All thoughts gratefully heard.

Given that you have a Pioneer LX71 and a budget of only £300, I doubt you'd gain much from using an external DAC except the ability to scratch your itch and lighten your wallet. Of course, you could always try to borrow something to listen for yourself.

To gain a singificant improvement in sound, you should probably be looking at saving up a larger amount of ready cash and investing in replacing the MA BX2's. OTOH, that wasn't your question.

To gain a singificant improvement in sound, you should probably be looking at saving up a larger amount of ready cash and investing in replacing the MA BX2's. OTOH, that wasn't your question.
It is an answer though :) I like the BX2's, they take being driven fairly hard well and shift a lot of air happily. Plus the wife likes the looks ;) What sort of thing would you consider a worthwhile upgrade? They're currently on sand filled Atacama's in a roughly 15 foot square room with 9 foot ceiling. Thanks.

As always, it's a budget question, and my suggestion was to have enough cash to make it worth while. The BX2 went for ca £250 in 2010, so you'd be looking at about twice your current budget (although of course, "the more the merrier"). This should get you a bookshelf speaker with improved performance.

Then try and find something that's currently on offer, since it gets you a better speaker for the cash (especially if it's "last year's model"). The speaker forum here is frequented by UK members who will have a better overview of the current UK market situation than I do.

£300 can get you a excellent DAC

£300 can get you a excellent DAC
The OP's LX71 uses Wolfson WM8740 DACs (the Pro-ject: Sabre Pro ES9038, same as my Oppo UDP 205) and a quarz oscillator to reduce jitter. The Sabre is newer and likely a bit better as a chip, but I'm not convinced that using a newer chip whilst losing the direct clock coupling would be a benefit. That said, if the OP can borrow a separate DAC and audition for himself, that would be best.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom