DAC - Help me find a cheap suitable one.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Fradam, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Fradam

Fradam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok first my "issue" at hand
    I have a BENQ W700 PJ and I just bought a Playstation 3 to connect to it. Usually I use the PJ as a Cinema and by the brand you probably know that I dont have a ****load of money:p
    I have it connected via HDMI 1 in the PJ to my PC, then I have the sound from my PC via USB into a DAC called Prodigy Cube, This one to be exact: AUDIOTRAK Products Pages
    The reason for this is because I have some distance from my PC to my sound system and some distance from my PJ to my computer and some distance from my PJ to my sound system. Imagine a triangle with 5 meters in between and sound system, pc and PJ & Playstation 3 in each corner, if you must.
    Now because of the distance I have been adviced to transfere my sound digitally because it dosnt degrade over distances, which is why I bought the DAC.

My Issue then is that now I want my sound from the PS3 into my sound system and the only way to do that digitally is by using the Optical Toslink Output from my Playstation 3 and a 5 meter Optical Cable.

The problem then is that in my current DAC I dont have a Toslink input:(

So what I want I recon, is a DAC that have:
    USB Input so I can connect it as an external sound card to my computer just as the system I already have with my Prodigy Cube.
    Toslink Input So that I can connect my Playstation 3 here.
    Phono Jack Red/White Analogue Output As every DAC should have, so that I can connect it to my sound system.

On top of that I dont have a million pounds. Im thinking something in the vesinity of 100$ is my budget.

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Rather than trying to find a DAC that is USB and optical input which I think will be difficult why not just get a cheap DAC for the Playstation and plug that into your audio system. You are going to struggle at that budget to find a DAC with switchable inputs.

Something like a Lindy DAC, CYP AU-D3 or FiiO D3. They are all good DACs for their price point. As you are stateside I am not sure which of those is available in your markets but something should be available for between $50-$100

3. Fradam

Fradam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was abit tired of more DACs, kind of want to find something that had everything in it so I only need one:)
    I actually found a very cheap Cambridge DACmagic 100 This one: http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-100 for whats similar to 110$, so I guess I was lucky:D
    The Issue is solved now:p

4. Fradam

Fradam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little question, for this one I bought, it isnt exactly the version I linked over here and I cant find a perfect picture but I found this youtube movie, you see the back of it 1:04 into this movie:
    Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus

Do I need a Toslink to Miniplug cable to connect it to my Playstation 3? Or a Toslink to Toslink cable or what exactly do I need?:D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    The DacMagic uses standard toslink inputs, no idea about the PlayStation but as you have one you can check.

6. Fradam

Fradam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    The PS3 has a full sized TOSLink so you need TOSLink to TOSLink.

Eloise

8. Fradam

Fradam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I found out I need a TOSLink to TOSLink and a female to female adapter for my DAC

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Denon DMD30 Minidisc deck, 2 toslink inputs. You can use MD decks as DACs and damned fine sounding they are. £20-£30. Proper PSU as well. I have used a PS3 into MD decks in the past.

10. Fradam

Fradam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha that would have solved it too I see for a much cheaper price, see its info like that I needed:D
    I do find it abit odd that Playstation 3 have Optical and not much else you use normally except mini discs have Optical in. Why put such an outdated audio out and no other way but hdmi to get sound digitally out, on the playstation 3?
    Anyway still going to be happy about what I bought as soon as I get it set up:D

About the TOSlink male plugs on the back of the DAC I linked in this topic I found out those things that stick out from the Optical ports on the DAC isnt male TOSlink but plastic caps, that you take out and underneath are the normal female TOSlink.
    So I dont need the female to female TOSlink "converter" that I bought, but I payed around 3$ so it dosnt matter much:)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Can't you get analogue audio output via the PS3's multi-way socket - or have the later PS3 dropped that?