DAC - Headphone amp - Headphones - XLR

FennerMachine

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a DAC/headphone amp.

Currently using Sennheiser HD280 Pro, in process of upgrading. Tried AKG 702 and like them, but faulty so sending back and rethinking what to do.

I use a PC for most audio. MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard.
Also have a CA Azur 751BD, used mainly for CD's.
Abrahamsen V2.0 UP amplifier, IPL Acoustics S2TLK speakers.

Need coaxial or optical input for 751BD and USB for PC, plus optional analogue RCA.

Is it worth getting something with XLR outputs for the Abrahamsen?
Or is RCA good enough?

I was thinking of getting a Klipsch heritage headphone amplifier but no XLR ouputs.
It has everything else I want.

What DAC/headphone amp and headphones would you recommend?

Is such a headphone amp as the Klipsch overkill for headphones like AKG 702 or Sennheiser HD 599?

What about improvements from using a DAC as a ‘preamp’ to the XLR inputs on the Abrahamsen?

Don't get hung up on the connections. XLR does not necessarily equal better sound. It is more resilient to interference and runs at a higher level due to the differential nature of the signal, but you are introducing 2 additional amplifier stages into the chain to balance and then unbalance the signal - unless transformers are used and then you have all the audio issues they can create.

Unbalanced connections of less than 1m are likely to sound better than an XLR connection for my reasons above.

So, ignoring XLR, the Klipsch does what I need.
After reading/watching reviews I am considering Audio-Technica ATH-R70X headphones.
Will these work well with the Klipsch headphone amp?
Or would it be better to get headphones that don’t need an amp?
Either save money or get more expensive and potentially better headphones that are easier to power?

I'd consider which I'd be more likely to upgrade first in the future. Headphones? Get an amp that is more than capable of running the existing headphones... and you will want to upgrade, I guarantee it.

Do some reading on what amps suit which headphones.. it does make a difference. e.g. HD800 are considered very harsh on treble so need to be matched to an amp that helps calm this (not 1st hand experience, but read plenty on it).

Headphones are just so subjective. I remember having the argument with one of our studio engineers at work. He loved his DT990s for their warm rich sound, but as a live sound engineer, I hated them. The accuracy that I wanted was just not there and they really flattered the mix. I had some high end Sony cans back then - as did many other live sound engineers. They did not flatter the mix at all and revealed it in all its horror. He hated them as he felt that he ended up analysing each instrument too much instead of creating a balanced, listenable mix.

2 sides to every argument!

Can't disagree at all, very subjective!
I doubt any two people's hearing are tuned the same way, and personal preference for certain elements of sound will always influence preference. Then there's the type of music you like to listen to, that will also have an impact on selection.

Thanks all of you.
I know what you mean.
I’ve owned and/or demoed dozens of amps and speakers over 20 plus years.
Difficult or impossible to generalize.
But, for example or variation thereof:

£800 headphones 32ohm, straight from source

or

£300.00 headphones 470ohm, plus £500 DAC/headphone amp

I think part of the issue is that many amplifiers these days have a separate headphone amplifier rather than a stepped down split from the main channels. This means that you may well be listening through something of a low cost afterthought instead of the main amp section.

This for me is enough of an argument to put a dedicated headphone amp at the top of my list.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom