1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAC for coaxial output

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mrkjd, Jul 16, 2003.

1. mrkjd

mrkjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if there's a Coaxial (in) to Svideo or similar Digital to Analogue Converter?

I have a Cable STB that only has a coaxial out (old analogue Cable TV) and I want to feed the signal to my plasma

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Surely your Coax-out will be an RF output with the audio & video somewhere around channel 36/38 UHF.
    Therefore, you would actually need a tuner for this (and it will be mono sound only).
    So you surely don't need/want a DAC (Digital to Analogue converter). A DAC (more correctly DENC for Digital ENCoder) is a device that takes 8 or 16 bit video (ITU-656 / CCIR601) and outputs RGB, S-video or Cvbs via its internal video DACs.
    See www.analog.com/video and select "Selection Tables" followed by Video Encoder Products for these.

Please explain exactly what sockets exist on your cable STB (all of them) and we can advise further.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What you need is a demodulator to get the composite video feed out of the RF socket and the Audio out. RF is radio frequency modulated, you need the unmodulated signal for a plasma if you have no tuner module. (a VCR will do this)

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    It's a pity he will still have sound in glorious mono :(

Chris Muriel

5. mrkjd

mrkjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply guys ...... guess I'll be getting a Freeview box soon then!