1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DAC confuzzlement - few questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Devil On Your S, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'm considering a DAC, and i've got a few questions. The first one you may laugh at, and if the answer is "yes" then you don't have to read on to save me further humilation!

1) Do you need a dedicated transport? I have a proper CD player with it's own DAC (Marantz CD7300), and an optical output. Would it be pointless using this with a DAC, or would I need to upgrade to a decicated CD transport as well?

2) If I connect my DVD player to the DAC by coaxial/optical, and then from the DAC to my av amp by coaxial/optical, will I still have 5.1 sound?

3) I have a Marantz PM7200 Stereo Amp. When I connect the DAC to the amp by analogue output, do I need to use the "source direct" button on my amp to avoid the amp changing the signal from the DAC? Also, the PM7200 has a "class a" function. Will I still be using this with the signal from the DAC? What would be the best combination of "source direct" and "class a" with the DAC signal to not have my amp degrade it?

Thanks for anyone who answers, and please stop sniggering at the back!

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    1) No, a integrated CDplayer / DVDplayer has both a DAC and transport in the same unit. Adding a dac will improve the sound of your setup, but a dedicated transport will almost certainly produce a even better sound.
    2) Yes, unless you get a dodgy DAC
    3) Source direct will produce the most pure sound, class 'a' is a bit up for debate, it produces a more warm sound, but does appear to lose some bass.

I hope this helps
    Steve.