Question DAC and Amp Suggestions for HD800S

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JNicko, Nov 3, 2017.

1. JNicko

JNicko
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all,
    I've just recently upgraded my cans from 650's to 800S, but still have only my humble Fiio E10k to power my 800S as both the Dac and Amp.

So my question is, what's a good dac / amp setup to buy with a budget of £350-ish but pushing to about £500 if the value of the extra money is evident?

I had my eyes on a Schiit Magni + Mogni combo, but I can honestly admit that I've no experience in amps and dacs.

Given that the 800S comes with a 4 pin balanced cable, would it be worth looking for a decent balanced amp?

Thanks

Sidenote: Accidentally posted this in the wrong sub forum, so this is a re-post :)

2. JNicko

JNicko
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Self bump

Been reading good things about the Schiit Jotunheim, anyone here got experience with it?

3. Scoop007

Scoop007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I haven't used the Jotunheim. But was considering it at one point. It gets really good reviews, with lot's saying it's the best amp anywhere close to it's price point. However, the reason i never went for it in the end is: I have owned a Schitt stack in the past. I liked it a lot with my 600's, but not so much with my 800's. A bright amp, paired with bright headphones. Had the Graham slee ultra linear DE and thought that was slightly less harsh, fuller bass and so preferred it. I heard that although not as bright as my stack, the Jot is still on the bright side of neutral.
    Your 650's, i wouldn't hesitate to think it will pair well. A little extra sparkle.

So here is the dilemna haha. 2 amps, 2 headphones. If it were me: Schitt stack was better for 650's, the GS better for the 800's. My point being this can become a rabbit hole when thinking in terms of best at price points for different headphones and different ears. My ears hear a lot of energy in the 800's so like it more with amps that aren't on the energetic side already. If i am thinking of an amp, with the goal of getting the most out of my 800S, then i prefer a slightly tubed sound.

But, from your e10k. Any amp at the Jot price will sound great. These differences i describe are only small. Your 800S will sound great and your 650's will get an added edge and who's to say that your preference could be totally opposite to mine :)

4. JNicko

JNicko
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ty based Scoop, it's like you and Steve are the only two active members here hahaha

I'm leaning towards a simple Modi Ultrabit + Vali 2 combo, and then running away to enjoy my music and only peeking back into the audio world when I have the budget to buy something decent

Though I really want to try out the Valhalla 2

I don't think you can really go wrong with buying in above a certain price point, and it's just diminishing returns from there, placebo effect in some cases

I think the bulk of difference would be under 1k, and above that, everything is just different, not so much better

Could very well be spewing a bunch of crap in saying that though

5. ryanvincent

ryanvincent
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I currently use the ODAC + Magni 2 and it powers my alpha primes easily so I highly recommend the magni 2 to you.