1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dabs value Geforce FX 5200

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jeff, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Got one is these in the post today for HTPC suitability testing. The card is a Inno3D Geforce FX 5200. and costs £70 incl VAT.

The card looks well designed and built, it uses a large passive heatsink which is nice.

The Geforce FX range has a number of new features that I will be looking to test such as improved scaling engine, mpeg decodeing, deinterlacing as well as some interesting controls like sharpness, DVC and gamma.

It's about time we had a proper alternative to ATI so lets hope NVidia are at least getting closer.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I know its not a resolution that you would usually use but I'd appreciate it if you could test 1368*768 @ 56hz to see if it works, (all of the older nvidia cards wouldn't accept it).

Cheers

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the FX Nvidia's new chipset? If so I thought they would be around £150-£200+

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The 5200 is the slow low end version of the FX chip, not great for fast 3D game play...

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A friend of mine worked on these in SC. Don't get your hopes up! The low-end NV34 (P161: 250/200MHz) on which the FX5200 is based has a four layer PCB and uses very cheap components (some of the volt regs are apparently under-spec units: they've fitted them with heatsinks). I believe the total BOM cost for the board (minus memory and ASIC) is under $8! Power/ground plane noise will be pretty high, which doesn't bode well for clean output from the RAMDACs.

They also have dedicated MPEG decoding hardware on-die, which lacks the precision and flexibility of ATi's FP pipeline-based implementation. I'm not sure why they chose to do it that way - might have been because of the way the NV3x architecture handles iDCT/motion vector ops, or perhaps it is because of patent issues.

NV31 was supposed to be the basis for the first of a new wave of nVidia Personal Cinema boards that would challenge the dominance of ATi's AIW range. If you look at some of the ES's they have this 8-pin, white plastic header on them - that was developed specifically for I2C/composite interfacing with an external multimedia device, e.g. a TV tuner. Unfortunately, when NV31 turned out to be a dog they scrapped the project completely. Better luck next time, eh?

Anyway... sorry to bore you. :D

MuFu.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I had a quick play before the footy game, the cards output seems clean enough, although not exactly sharp. DVD quality is a mixed bag, the deinterlacing is almost shockingly good, but the overall picture quality on film source is soft and uninspiring. So far I've only tried NvDVD so plenty of things to try out.